I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIRED AND FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!

locabouthair

Ladies I really need to vent right now. I am 21 years old and for nearly all my life I have through sooooooo much drama and problems with my hair. At school that was all I got teased about because my hair was short and nappy. My hair stayed the same length for about 12 years. Than finally it started to grow and then it broke off really badly leaving me with thin hair and I had to eventually cut it off. I would get comments like, "Oh my look at her hair" "That third grader has more hair than you" "If my hair was your length I would get a weave".

Today just a few minutes ago my friend knows I use s curl in my hair. She keeps going on about why I shouldn't use it because I don't have a jherri curl. And that's why so and so doesn't want to braid my hair because it leaves her hands sticky. ok Cornrows is my main style so when my hair isn't braided its in a head tie or a hat. Sometimes I have gone like 2 weeks wearing a head tie because I couldn't find someone to braid my hair. So my friend is saying I shouldn't use it I need to get pink lotion which I don't think is good. I didn't even bother telling her that on the s curl bottle it says it's for natural hair also. I kept telling her it's the only thing that softens my very coarse dry hair and detangles. But she just kept going. I knew that telling her anything about my hair would be a waste of time especially since her hair is a lot longer than mine. So when she said that my friend didn't want to braid my hair because she doesn't like the s curl I'm like **** it I wont ask her anymore then.

I hate depending on people to do my hair because they always want to use a comb with the tiniest teeth to comb my hair??????? Even my hair dresser does this. And most of you know combing natural 4b hair with a tiny comb is a recipe for disaster I lose too much hair and they look at me crazy when I tell them to use the big tooth comb but yet complain how nappy and hard to comb it is. I swear if I had my way NO ONE would touch my hair.

I feel that I have to go through so much with my hair. I want to be thankful because I don't have any bald spots it's just that my hair is short and grows sooooooooooo slowly and my styling options are limited. Ok thanx for letting me vent.

Awe don't worry you will get there. We all or some of us had to start some where. I know the journal and not having support from friends can be extremely frustrating, but when it starts to grow then attitudes will change, just ignore and do what do. happy hair growing.

Well, I am sorry to hear about your frustration.

Are the cornrows not working for you. It seems that if you keep it braided or twisted or something like that you natural hair can do very well and you will not have to stress out about it.

Why don't you shampoo it with Cream of Nature or something else that softens and detangles before getting it braided and then use your S-Curl after it is actually braided?

cocowhite - i am trying to stay positive but its hard especially when i dont even want hair that long. i just want to get to armpit length.

honey dew- that's my main reason for gettting the cornrows so that i wont have to manipulate my hair. i use the scurl a lot because even after i wash my hair it's still dry. its like deep conditioning does nothing for my hair.

DON'T BE DISCOURAGED. I NEVER HAD HAIR AS A CHILD/ADULT UNTIL NOW. IT WAS ALWAYS SHORT AND BROKEN OFF BECAUSE NEITHER MY MOM OR MYSELF KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT TAKING CARE OF HAIR. WHEN MY FAMILY MEMBERS SEE MY HAIR NOW, THEY ARE SHOCKED. IT'S NOT EVEN THAT LONG TO ME.

WITH PROPER CARE, YOUR HAIR WILL GROW AND RETAIN LENGTH. SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THINGS IN REGARDS TO MOISTURINZING W/ S-CURL AND PROTECTIVE STYLING W/ CONROWS.

TRUST ME, I CAME FROM A SIMILAR SITUATION AS U.... U WILL BE FINE!

I don't know your hair care regime, however i empathesise with you, because i have 4b hair which was very dry, and even brittle. Even though i had a great regime, the only thing that helped was supplements and daily raw fruit and vege juice. if your interested look at my new site, the link is in my signature.

are you using a moisturizing leave in conditioner? try that or another product and then misting with oil. that usually takes my hair from dry to soft and gives it a bit of sheen.

I know how you feel I use to get teased a lot about my hair as well but when I started eating healthier and increasing my green vegs. my hair started to get healthier and taking vitamins and drinking water and tying your hair down at night is a good start and making sure you rinse for a long time helps as well. When I started doing those things my hair started to grow the longest my hair as ever been is just touching my shoulders and by then I would run out and do the latest and greatest to it and it would fall out but since I got all my hair chopped in April and found this website in October my hair is growing longer and stronger. Also your "friend" is not your friend don't tell her anything else about your business. You'll get someone that is really interested in you the person and your dreams my girlfriend has hair she can almost sit on and she has no interest in growing hair or even talking about it but she knows its my thing so she listens to me go on and on about it and she acts as though she is interested and that means a lot to me - thats a friend. Get one of those high school girls they are always trying to make a few dollars here or there they can hook you up.

I know it is hard, for years my hair would not grow and I almost gave up and said hey weave it. I was in braids and weaves in high school but then I found these boards and my attitude change, because my hair care knowledge changed, which in turned helped me to grow my hair.

Don't give up, because along with moisture also comes patience and you have come to the right place for ladies to hear your pain and help you heal your hair woes...Hugs.

What is your regimen and products? I'm not a natural but I am sure one of the natural ladies can help you.:)

HoneyDew said:
Why don't you shampoo it with Cream of Nature or something else that softens and detangles before getting it braided and then use your S-Curl after it is actually braided?

This is what I was thinking when I read your post. Wash your hair before you get it braided, then spray your finished cornrows with s-curl. I totally understand your braider not liking the sticky feel of S-curl, but it does work very well. Shea butter is also very moisturizing, that might work and be less sticky (I'm not sure, I've never tried it). I have dry hair too and nothing I buy from the drug store seems to keep my hair moisturized for very long. If I put it on at night, it's dry by the morning. If I put in on in the morning, by the time I get home it's bone dry again.

Last edited:
I would not entertain the thought of what the braider or whomever is getting paid to do my hair is thinking. Secondly for motivation just look through that albums and the many women with beautiful black hair down their backs that ARE using s-curl.Third if you just hate the reaction of OTHER people you could use NTM, UBH dew or lotion creme, but I would not care about some chick hating on you and saying they have greasy hands. I think it was rude to be repeated to you. She was not right to talk about the condition of you hair and you shouldnt feel you have to change esp. if its for the better health of your hair.Dont get off your hair journey for all these stupid opinions people are coming up with. Just keep doing what youre doing and they will be beggin YOU for some S-curl.Be patient and it will be alright. :)

Last edited:
Sometimes our hair woes can be endless! I hope you find someone to work with you and your hair since it seems cornrows are what you prefer. Have you ever considered doing your own single braids??? Back in my college days, when I felt like no one could manage to braid my hair how I wanted, I resorted to doing it myself...And I got real good at it. Granted I would only keep my braid for about a month, but that was my choice since I liked a fresh look.

You'll figure out what you want to do...it will all work itself out

Locabouthair,

Girl I have been where you are, my hair was a hot mess!!! When I started my journey I remember not have a clue what to do with it to look decent.

I didnt even have enough for a pony tail:lachen:
Like you I was dependant on other people doing my hair.(Braids/Cornrow)

But Now, the only time someone puts there hands in my hair is 4 times a year!!! for a touch up.
I also now have a nice ponytail :lol:

You will get there, hang in there. Someone on the board said this to me

'Keep going even if you think you not going anywhere'​

I did and so should you, dont tell your friend nothing.. I have told NO-ONE about my hair journey.​

There only job is to tell me how long, healthy and great it looks
:kisses: :kisses:

that's just the devil tryin' to get ya! So she doesn't want to breaid your hair...forget about it! Go tho the library and get you a book on how to braid..be self sufficient. I'm like you...don't like to depend on others for ANYTHIG! I'd rather runaround looking crazy and have done it myself, that be chastized by someone who felt like they were doing ME a favor!
GKeep you r head up girl...you've come TOOOO far to turn back now...(besides..if you give up...I'm COMIN' for you!!!:arguing: :arguing: :fishslap: :evil: :whip: :hammer: :spank: )
Stay up

Back