I am sick AND TIRED of this ISH

nappytherapy

Am I still experiencing breakage even though I do protective styles all the time?

I have been protective styling since August 25th with box braids (I am a natural with 3c/4a hair). I kept those in until last thursday. I co-washed everyday with either Tresseme, VO5, Suave or whatever condish I have on hand. I re-did the braids as needed, but I never left my hair out.

I keep my ends tucked in never letting them touch my clothes. I was taking MSM, until I started getting crazy bumps on my face which was disgusting, that's another topic.

Here is the problem, a few weeks ago I noticed the my hair looks like its either frizzy or breaking. I noticed that most of the braids in front have fly hairs from the root to the tip. I am not sure what to do. Last night I twisted my hair and I look at the twist and it was not smooth, it just had hair sticking out from everywhere. I hope I don't have to shave my head off. Oh by the way I have been growing out my color

I am pissed off because I thought protective styling would not give me these issues. On the other hand, I have seen lots of growth, its just that my hair does not look smooth/neat after a fresh set of braids:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

My hair never looks shine and nice, I just feel like this is just not working for me. I have no idea what product to use.

Someone PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I was trying to stay away from mineral oil, but I am even sure what my hair issue is

OK enough of me venting my pitiful frustrations. Feel free to give me some suggestions

I don't know what to say but just breathe! I would reduce the amount of co-washing I do so it's not every day. Also, with little hairs sticking up when u re do the braids, it may be the product that you use that isn't smoothing the hair down the way u want. I think u will find a solution-but my two cents are
#1: maybe don't co-wash every day,
#2: Deep condition your hair at least 1x (maybe twice/week)
#3: Experiment with finding moisturizers and oils to seal the hair
#4: Then braid it up or find another style and re-do it more often.

I hope this helps-good luck!

ETA: I see that u are growing out color: u may have to gradually dust off the colored parts

Also w/braids after a while: hair just looks frizzy-it's just how it is w/texture. Another issue to point out is that w/texture it won't shine like how u want it to shine all the time. I get more "shine" per se after I apply coconut oil to damp moisturized hair. I think once you DC more, and get a good moisturizer and use a sealant like coconut oil, u will see more "shine" per se.

Last edited:
Do not worry about the hairs. That is just a matter of the braid or twist being smooth. Think of it like this. All the hairs on your head didn't sprout out of your follicles on the same day. So some hairs will be a year old, some will be 6 months old, some will be 1 month old, and so forth. Each of these hairs that are different ages are also different lengths, with the oldest ones being the longest. It is normal for there to be hairs of all different lengths on your head. Everyone's hair is like this.

Maybe I shouldn't comment since I'm relaxed, but

frizziness- maybe a anti-frizzy serum?

dull hair- have you clarified/chelated?

I agree with Mwedzi that hairs sticking out doesn't mean breakage. I mean, compare the two twists in the attached pic. Same hair, both done at the same time. Top one done one way, bottom one done another way. Granted they are also different twists (top being 3-strand, bottom being 2-strand) but I believe the reason the top one looks so frizzy is because I didn't twist each strand on its own first so that all the hairs would be tucked in before the loop over.

Attachments

• 3-strand vs 2-strand twists.jpg
    3-strand vs 2-strand twists.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 14
You're growing out color? That might be the issue, right there. No matter what I did with my hair, the colored parts broke off, period. Henna helped me keep some of them on a little longer - but - I just had to accept the fact that my hair was going to break off, because of the impact the color had on my strands - my head just can't handle it.

I agree with the above ladies about fuzzies on the braids - all of your hair isn't one length, so you're gonna get shorties poking out.

How often do you DC? With color treated natural hair, it needs a lot, a lot, a lot of moisture, and just cowashing ain't enough.

What leave-ins/moisturizers/oils do you use on your hair? I've found that a touch of castor oil on my twists make them look a look sleeker/smoother than when I go without.

You're growing out color? That might be the issue, right there. No matter what I did with my hair, the colored parts broke off, period. Henna helped me keep some of them on a little longer - but - I just had to accept the fact that my hair was going to break off, because of the impact the color had on my strands - my head just can't handle it.

I agree with the above ladies about fuzzies on the braids - all of your hair isn't one length, so you're gonna get shorties poking out.

How often do you DC? With color treated natural hair, it needs a lot, a lot, a lot of moisture, and just cowashing ain't enough.

What leave-ins/moisturizers/oils do you use on your hair? I've found that a touch of castor oil on my twists make them look a look sleeker/smoother than when I go without.

I thought cowashing would be enough. I really need to DC is has been a while...we're talking monthsss.

I think the color is almost gone, but when I braid or twist the entire length has hairs sticking out...

Am I being petty

why can't I have perfect hair ARGGGGGGG :wallbash:

Why are hairs sticking out so bad? I have hair sticking out here and here and it is actually that that makes me love old twists: the messiness and fluffiness.

When you braid, do you hold your hair close to the cross-over point? That's necessary to ensure you tuck the hairs into the braid. Maybe that can help. But otherwise, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Back