I Am Righteous, They're A Sinner

nerdography

This was put on my heart to share this morning :yep:

I asked the Lord why some Christians feel the need to look down or talk down to others who may not be as strong in their walk, but they are working on become a better person and freeing themselves of their sins. And these were my answers.

Luke 18:9-14

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable
10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
14 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Luke 7:36-50

36 Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table.
37 When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume,
38 and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.
39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is--that she is a sinner."
40 Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you." "Tell me, teacher," he said.
41 "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.
42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"
43 Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.
44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet.
46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet.
47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."
48 Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
49 The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"
50 Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Ladies please don't be discouraged if you've encountered individuals who have looked down on you or made you feel bad because they deemed your walk insufficient. I've had people say all types of mean things to me and it made me feel bad about myself and that I was a failure and disappointment to God. The best piece of advice that the Lord gave me was John 21:2- Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me."

Don't concern yourself with other people's walks. The Lord's got it, He knows what He's doing. If the Lord takes you down a side street because there's a lesson to be learned, that's were you need to be at that point in time. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for where you are. The Lord has got you by the hand and is walking with you out of the darkness.

Some days we are able to fight the temptations that once held us captive for years. And other days we may let go of the Lord's hand and go back to what we were doing. We're human, we aren't perfect and we fall, even those who won't admit it have fallen. But, guess what, He will be waiting right where we left Him. And when we ask for forgiveness and truly mean it, He will forgive us and take us by the hand and will continue to walk with us.

Lamentations 3:21-25

21 Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope
22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassion never fail.
23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him.

I hope that made since, I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts. But, I hope it spoke to someone like it spoke to me :kiss:

I hope that made since, I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts. But, I hope it spoke to someone like it spoke to me :kiss:

You shared a very good word and you've expressed it very well and lovingly.

:yep:

In addition, I hope that I haven't said anything to hurt you, if so I really do apologize. :Rose:

Sometimes when people have been delivered from sometthing they have an honest zeal for truth that can be perceived as self righteousness. Its just like when people first get saved and proceed to shamelessly inform folks that they are sinner and going to hell. The delivery may have been wrong but it doesnt make rthe statement less true. And the person usually has good and not selfrighteous intentions. But you are right the word says be sharp as a serpent but harmless as doves matthew 10:16. Silence can be deadly and real truth hurts, but if we warn correctly we can win some. I know im working on this and I have a really cool message to share about it. I agree you deliveted it perfectly in the spirit of truth which will help us all as we try to help one another.

ETA: oh and per the title no one is without sin 1 john 1:8 but we are commanded to speak the truth in love , ephesians 4:15

Last edited:
Shimmie

Thank you, I'm glad that it was understandable. In all honesty I look forward to what you have to say about things. You always give a lot of information when you answer and it gives me more things to study in my walk.

sidney

I agree when we discover the truth it should be shared with as many people as possible. But, I think that being overzealous can scare people away. When we see Jesus preach He always does it in love. He preaches the good and the bad. He wants us to be knowledgeable of both sides. And I think sometimes as humans we get stuck in this mode of fear mongering. Which in the long run neither helps us or the the people who need our help.

It's hard to explain what I'm feeling right now. I think when we discover truth that the Lord's gives our spirit so much information that sometimes our human mind isn't able to express it well, and it comes out sounding judgmental and mean spirited when it isn't meant to be.

:perplexed I might have to rewrite this because I have the feeling it's a little all over the place :lol:

There is a depth of caring for people that comes with serving God and to separate the two is impossible. If we love God, we love people. I've been reprimanded, encouraged, admonished by those who love Christ when my actions were inappropriate... that is love. Sometimes I respond emotionally by getting angry (and that was because they were speaking Truth) and other times I submitted to that Word. We don't have to like a person to love them.

That said, please note the Bible is full of examples of those who look out for the welfare of the souls of others. We may not all go about it the same way, but it is the Great Commission given to us by God the Father. The prophet Jeremiah cared so much for his people and their lives, he wished his head was fountain to continuously weep for his people (Jeremiah 9) The greatest apostle of all, Paul, cared for the welfare of others and only prayed he didn't do so in hypocrisy. If you feel there are hypocrites here, I encourage you to pray and release that to God.

No one can argue that self-righteousness is sin. Everything said in the OP is true. :yep:

I would maybe add that falling back into sin is really serious. I think that sometimes believers don't recognize the seriousness of it, and then when they are confronted with it, take personal offense and defend their commitment to God. It's important--in terms of the type of "culture" adopt--that we can take stern rebuke. Like Paul says in Galatians, there was a time when he confronted Peter to his face because Peter was clearly in the wrong. Hebrews speaks of the deceitfulness of sin, and often if sin is not aggressively dealt with, we can deceive ourselves into thinking that we are or will be OK with God in our sin. :nono:

Please know that my comments are made in agape love...

For the most part I am not at all sure that some people think that they are more 'righteous' than others(Romans 3:10 As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one:nono: ....but perhaps we are touchy and easily offended Christians, which may be because of the world and it's influences that we have allowed to infiltrate the church (the body) or because we are still babes in our walk..

Either way Jesus often rebuked and admonished and yes I agree in love, however the one being rebuked may not feel that 'love' only the 'sting' of the truth that the word of God often brings...

Imagine what Peter must have felt when Jesus said (I am sure with firmness); 'get thee behind me Satan,' ...

Speaking personally, I think that we should be concerned about each others walk, we are suppose to be our brothers keeper, now that's hard to do over the internet I am passionate about the people of God and I do hope that I make someone feel badly enough to want to change from where they are especially if they know that they shouldn't be there, especially that Father has given them power, authority and everything necessary to walk in their spiritual potential. I hope that I compel them to grasp hold of God's hand and not let it go...and I pray that our faith is strengthened and that we be transformed from glory to glory.

@Laela and @nicola.kirwan @Iwanthealthyhair67

Thanks, you've given me some more topics to study.

I'm all for being firm with people who need it. But, we also have to be careful with our words. Speaking in a belittling or accusatory tone can cause more harm than good.

I think when a person keeps falling back into sin it's because they truly don't believe they deserve to be loved and covered by God. Often times a person feels so broken and tainted they don't understand why God would want them. And if they happen to interact with a Christian who tells them they are going to go to hell and that they are a horrible person isn't going to help.

I remember when I was in the depths of my self hated. On the outside I came of as a quiet shy person. But, I was seething with anger. I grew up in a fire and brimstone AME church. And as a child being told I was a horrible person and going to hell because my prayer wasn't sufficient was not good for me.

Luckily, when I got into college the Minister taught one of my classes and she was warm and understanding. And she was one of the reasons that I was able to let go of my feeling of self-hatred and inadequacy. She gave me scriptures as to why my life was important to God. And I'm grateful that she was that person who with the help of God turned me around.

I'm not saying to ignore someone's walk. What I'm saying is that we need to be supportive of one another. And not judge someone's walk because it's not the same as ours. We can give advise and love, but at the end of the day God, not man, will take this person were they need to be. And if they fall we should be there to catch them not to belittle them and make them feel unworthy.

I actually struggled with posting this for three days because I wasn't sure how people were going to take it. I didn't want anyone to feel like I was telling them they were a bad Christian :sad:. But, I kept have this feeling that I should share.

Thanks OP. Your post gives me a lot to ponder on. Also the other posts that has a different view point.

To everything (and I'll dare say, to everyone) there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven. Ecclesiatics 3

It can be hard sometimes to decipher what a person true intentions are online when they make certain posts in response to certain issues, simply because true conversations have more elements than words. For eg. a certain statement may come across as a harsh rebuke to me online because it is regarded as such where I live, but it may be a light jest to the other person because of where they come from. They may even have wrote it laughingly not realising how it would come across. That may be simplistic, but the same can be said when addressing another persons 'serious' issue online when their background or other things influencing them or their circumstances are unknown.

Knowing the pain of sin and the sometimes serious, irreversable concequences of 'mistakes' I'm one who may come over as throwing the book at someone. For me, when I'm heading the wrong way in life I have utmost appreciation for those who proverbally 'knock me over the head with scripture'. I may not like how it feels at first but, if it's for me I'll be haunted until I examine myself and deal with the issue and without fail there is always a blessing and refreshing in my Christian walk when that happens. However, I'm learning that what I can accept may actually break someone else. Also the same scripture that can be used to encourage someone, may be used to reprove another.

In the scripture Paul was very frank about his own weaknesses, and obviously loved and encouraged other Christians however, in love he was very hard on some straying from the truth. This passage always seem a bit harsh to me. Turn a sinning (or should I say fallen) brother over to Satan??? How rude can he get?

1 Corinthians 5
New King James Version (NKJV)

5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
6 Your glorying is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? 7 Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.
12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.”

But later on when that congregation obeyed, it apparently helped the man return to God so much so that Paul encouraged them to embrace him. This response may not be needed for certain faults of course. There is a time for everything. That story about Paul rebuking Peter also shows that self righteousnes has to be dealt with also, for Peter (the great Apostle) was being hypocritical. I'm convinced that story is put there for all would be 'perfect' Christians to beware :lol:

OP your post is so true.I see it all the time here.See even the things that are hard to say for instance your out whoring and someone who is in Christ checks you it can all be done with love and not belittle.We are suppose to uplift and edify one another.Yes some things must be said about actions that contradict the Word bc we are walking ambassadors to a degree for the Lord.However some get off on I just tell it like it is I's just keeping it real.God checked folks but he lifted all the same.Look at the scripture you put in about the woman God checked the man about how he didn't do much and he told the chick she was a sinner but he also stated the good about her.

Many times we Christians like to feel as though bc we live a mundane life with no sin that is obvious bc being nasty or what have is you is sinful as well,we like to look out noses down.The issue is because some don't want you to check them so they make themselves god like.All have fallen short of the glory all.To me some of the older Christians do a dis serve to the younger Christians by not sharing their walks with them.The past and present.Most don't want to put their issues out in the open due to fear of being looked less than.I know I get looked down because I have voiced I have wanted to destroy myself on more than one occasion or that I'm depressed.But you know what I have gotten a many message of people who say thank you for showing the real raw bc it helped them..That's what the walk should be about but hey I'm not the goody christian so take my things with a grain of salt.

GoddessMaker

You summed of perfectly what I was trying to express. It important for Christians to share who they were in the darkness and to share who they are in the light to serve as inspiration to those who are struggling.

When I was in college I attended a "study away" program on top of a mountain with about 30 other students and 4-5 professors who lived on the property year round. Most all of the students came from Christian colleges and had been brought up in church. Well, the professors had also been brought up in church, but most of what they talked about was the hypocrisy and self-righteousness of Christianity. To hear them tell it, most Christians in church were pharisaical and judgmental. What I later learned was that they had grown up in very fundamentalist churches that abused the Bible and spiritual authority (as far as I can guess). They took their frustrated experience in their own church and applied it to people who weren't like that at all. If you had strong convictions, they automatically assumed you were being narrow minded. But much of it was something that they were reading into other believers' beliefs and actions because that's what they expected to be there.

When one has a hurt or a bruise, that area is especially sensitive to the touch. A normal pat on the back or poke might actually cause pain because of the tenderness. It's not that the person doing the touching was rough, it's that there is a bruise there. It's OK for people to have tender spots--everyone has some somewhere; they just have to get them healed so that they aren't unnecessarily hurt by those who mean no harm.

Luke 18:9-14

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable
10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
14 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

No one can argue that self-righteousness is sin. Everything said in the OP is true. :yep:

I would maybe add that falling back into sin is really serious. I think that sometimes believers don't recognize the seriousness of it, and then when they are confronted with it, take personal offense and defend their commitment to God. It's important--in terms of the type of "culture" adopt--that we can take stern rebuke. Like Paul says in Galatians, there was a time when he confronted Peter to his face because Peter was clearly in the wrong. Hebrews speaks of the deceitfulness of sin, and often if sin is not aggressively dealt with, we can deceive ourselves into thinking that we are or will be OK with God in our sin. :nono:

I was studying about weakness this morning and how good it is to be weak so that Christ is glorified...and I ended up at the beatitudes in Matthew 5, and I thought about this thread and this scripture in particular. If we read the beatitudes...God has a different standard for who is to inherit his kingdom. Now we know God always speaks in parables and we have to search for revelation for the deeper meaning...and he said the "sinner" that he was justified! Now we all know what justified means! He will be saved. The humbled are the ones that are to inherit God's kingdom. It is a characteristic of those who will inherit the kingdom of God. The self-righteous Pharisee that does the law--and thinks that he is getting in because he is "righteous" will not inherit.
The Beatitudes

He said: 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek(humble),
for they will inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

So as Nicola said, self-righteousness is sin. But, the pure in heart will see God. We know from various scriptures in the bible that a clean or pure heart is a person who has cleansed themselves of their sin. So I agree that we cannot keep on sinning either. When we learn that something is wrong, we should repent, ask for forgiveness and turn away. You may fall back occasionally, but you repent and turn again...so that what held you in bondage yesterday no longer binds you today. And so you go from glory to glory. And you keep your prayer guard up, because the more you pray, the less likely you fall captive to sin. The word says,

Matthew 26:41, "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Let me say this first, this isn't to your post but it was to a comment in this thread, someone said they said "they see it on her alot of times". This is the internet, so we have to be careful how we ourselves read someone posts and what matter of tone we take it in. I know myself has misunderstood people's post and the spirit of God would say, they didn't mean it in that way. So I had to check how I was perceiving the posts as well.

Well it had to take someone telling me I was going to hell for me to get myself straight. I am not saying it will be like that with everyone but with me it was like this.

Jude:
21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22And of some have compassion, making a difference: 23And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

So you cant deal with everyone the same way. You have to be led by the Spirit if God. You cant patty-cake everyone, because with that method it dont work with everyone.

The word is the word, and alot of times, it dont matter how you say something, some people are not going to receive it.

(this is not towards you, generally speaking) but people say they love Jesus but if Jesus was walking around today He would be hated by many and characterized as "mean". Jesus stood for righteousness and truth and alot of times when you have that standard, you will be hated. The bible says so. Darkness hates light. The trick of the enemy is to get a Christian to stop speaking truth he makes them feel like they are being judgemental. But the bible says a righteous man judgeth all things and it tells us to speak truth to our neighbor.

Alot of times we use self righteousness in the wrong manner. Self righteous is take to credit in one's own ability. But when someone says,"you dont have to be that way","Or I have overcomed that", they are then labeled as self righteous.
The world can be so vocal about who they sleeping with, who they getting into fights with, who they cussed out, what secular artists they like etc, and everyone is fine with that. But when a Christian speaks the word of God and talks about holiness and the requirements of God...we are being judgemental. Its a double standard sometimes. And we are here to edify one another, but I cant edify sin. Im sorry. I cant. Yes I will encourage you to surrender under the power of God . I will tell you God can deliever you. But I cant hear someone say to me" girl he was soo fine and I wanted to...." and I say"For real girl, girl you crazy"...no sir. Im gone tell you,"well you know the bible says" If you look at someone to lust after them you have committed adultery in your heart. WHy? is it because Im soo mean and judgemental. No its because I love them, and I dont want there souls to perish. And as hard as I am on others, I am twice as hard on myself, because as Paul says, "I dont want to preach to others and myself be a castway"....

I didnt mean to go on so long with this, but we can't keep labeling people as judgemental when they coming with truth and word. If we say love God, we should love truth.I know alot of times I say things and people may agree, but I am not on here to see how many "Thanks" I get on my post. But I just want His truth to be declared. So I will encourage but I wont make excuses for sin

God Bless....

@Laela and @nicola.kirwan @Iwanthealthyhair67

Thanks, you've given me some more topics to study.

I'm all for being firm with people who need it. But, we also have to be careful with our words. Speaking in a belittling or accusatory tone can cause more harm than good.

I think when a person keeps falling back into sin it's because they truly don't believe they deserve to be loved and covered by God. Often times a person feels so broken and tainted they don't understand why God would want them. And if they happen to interact with a Christian who tells them they are going to go to hell and that they are a horrible person isn't going to help.

I remember when I was in the depths of my self hated. On the outside I came of as a quiet shy person. But, I was seething with anger. I grew up in a fire and brimstone AME church. And as a child being told I was a horrible person and going to hell because my prayer wasn't sufficient was not good for me.

Luckily, when I got into college the Minister taught one of my classes and she was warm and understanding. And she was one of the reasons that I was able to let go of my feeling of self-hatred and inadequacy. She gave me scriptures as to why my life was important to God. And I'm grateful that she was that person who with the help of God turned me around.

I'm not saying to ignore someone's walk. What I'm saying is that we need to be supportive of one another. And not judge someone's walk because it's not the same as ours. We can give advise and love, but at the end of the day God, not man, will take this person were they need to be. And if they fall we should be there to catch them not to belittle them and make them feel unworthy.

I actually struggled with posting this for three days because I wasn't sure how people were going to take it. I didn't want anyone to feel like I was telling them they were a bad Christian :sad:. But, I kept have this feeling that I should share.

Alicia, Let's preach the gospel, do it with pure motives and compassion for God's people...and pray that we don't offend as Laela said (per her comment about Paul). I'm not going to be going back and forth editing out my "tone" from everything...I'll go stir crazy...love is not easily take offense (1 Corinthians 13:4). If someone sounds harsh, ask them what they meant and see what they say. We should go on preaching the truth and being mindful of how we say it. But the truth is what it is. It's a double-edged sword.

L

Alot of times we use self righteousness in the wrong manner. Self righteous is take to credit in one's own ability. But when someone says,"you dont have to be that way","Or I have overcomed that", they are then labeled as self righteous.
The world can be so vocal about who they sleeping with, who they getting into fights with, who they cussed out, what secular artists they like etc, and everyone is fine with that. But when a Christian speaks the word of God and talks about holiness and the requirements of God...we are being judgemental. Its a double standard sometimes. And we are here to edify one another, but I cant edify sin. Im sorry. I cant. Yes I will encourage you to surrender under the power of God . I will tell you God can deliever you. But I cant hear someone say to me" girl he was soo fine and I wanted to...." and I say"For real girl, girl you crazy"...no sir. Im gone tell you,"well you know the bible says" If you look at someone to lust after them you have committed adultery in your heart. WHy? is it because Im soo mean and judgemental. No its because I love them, and I dont want there souls to perish. And as hard as I am on others, I am twice as hard on myself, because as Paul says, "I dont want to preach to others and myself be a castway"....

I didnt mean to go on so long with this, but we can't keep labeling people as judgemental when they coming with truth and word. If we say love God, we should love truth.I know alot of times I say things and people may agree, but I am not on here to see how many "Thanks" I get on my post. But I just want His truth to be declared. So I will encourage but I wont make excuses for sin

God Bless....

This is very true!

Amen sis! So true! The very words I speak, have to conform to it. God dont let me off the hook because I say a few good words :lachen:. i got to be a doer of them as well.

sidney

Alicia, Let's preach the gospel, do it with pure motives and compassion for God's people...and pray that we don't offend as Laela said (per her comment about Paul). I'm not going to be going back and forth editing out my "tone" from everything...I'll go stir crazy...love is not easily take offense (1 Corinthians 13:4). If someone sounds harsh, ask them what they meant and see what they say. We should go on preaching the truth and being mindful of how we say it. But the truth is what it is. It's a double-edged sword.

Amen sis! So true! The very words I speak, have to conform to it. God dont let me off the hook because I say a few good words :lachen:. i got to be a doer of them as well.

@sidney

Oh yes, we have to be a doer! Being a hearer only is like looking in a mirror turning away, and forgetting what you look like. I'm still chewing the cud on that one! It's an interesting parable. Why am I chatting with you in like 3 or 4 threads! :drunk: How do I put in a "mention", lol:lachen:.

So God just convicted me over this post. :nono: I need to post that message I've been meaning to post. If I have to edit and re-edit I will! We have to be accountable to making sure we can get people to the throne of grace. I promise it's really good...I outlined it and I plan to apply it. I will try to post it tommorrow. :yep:

@nerdography I know this thread is about self righteousness but it was very thought provoking. This weekend I found myself thinking about righteousness in general. Then I remembered that my siggy is a summarised version of what I intended to put there. It is a verse that I would encourage every believer to put in their arsenal, for wether we consider ourselves strong or weak in the faith there will come a time when all we can hang on to is what Christ has done for us. That verse is

2 Corinthians 5:21 God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

That verse still chokes me up. The last 3 years has been a test of my faith and it's good to know that I don't have to rely on my own righteousness to come to God, for I'm too aware that my own righteousness "is like filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6). Other companion verses I'd like to share

Phillipians 3:9 and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which through faith in Christ, the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

Ephesians 4: 22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being currupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self created to be like God in true righteous and holiness.

To everyone reading this, if you are a child of God, you are righteous because of what Christ has done and should be glad to claim it even if you don't feel worthy.

Now The same chapter in scripture that proclaims

Romans 3: 10 As it is written; there is no one righteous not even one.

Is the same that shows us the way to true righteousness:

Romans 3: 21, 22, 23 But now a righteousness from God, apart from law has been made know, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

As much as those verses makes me want to shout for joy there is one more that keeps me sober. You see with all that Christ has done for us, we are individually responsible for our response.

1 Corinthians 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

GoddessMaker you are in my mind and my prayers. I've been touched by your posts and want to tell you that you need to let your past know, that in Christ you are righteousness, let those accusing and negative thoughts know, that in Christ you are righteous. When others make you feel less than worthy find a mirror and remind yourself that in Christ you are righteous. You are growing and you are an inspiration.

Last edited:
This whole post was really nice MSee!

@nerdography I know this thread is about self righteousness but it was very thought provoking. This weekend I found myself thinking about righteousness in general. Then I remembered that my siggy is a summarised version of what I intended to put there. It is a verse that I would encourage every believer to put in their arsenal, for wether we consider ourselves strong or weak in the faith there will come a time when all we can hang on to is what Christ has done for us. That verse is

2 Corinthians 5:21 God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

That verse still chokes me up. The last 3 years has been a test of my faith and it's good to know that I don't have to rely on my own righteousness to come to God, for I'm too aware that my own righteousness "is like filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6). Other companion verses I'd like to share

Phillipians 3:9 and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which through faith in Christ, the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

Ephesians 4: 22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being currupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self created to be like God in true righteous and holiness.

To everyone reading this, if you are a child of God, you are righteous because of what Christ has done and should be glad to claim it even if you don't feel worthy.

Now The same chapter in scripture that proclaims

Romans 3: 10 As it is written; there is no one righteous not even one.

Is the same that shows us the way to true righteousness:

Romans 3: 21, 22, 23 But now a righteousness from God, apart from law has been made know, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

As much as those verses makes me want to shout for joy there is one more that keeps me sober. You see with all that Christ has done for us, we are individually responsible for our response.

1 Corinthians 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

@GoddessMaker you are in my mind and my prayers. I've been touched by your posts and want to tell you that you need to let your past know, that in Christ you are righteousness, let those accusing and negative thoughts know, that in Christ you are righteous. When others make you feel less than worthy find a mirror and remind yourself that in Christ you are righteous. You are growing and you are an inspiration.

Does anyone have ideas on how we as a body can reach others who are unsaved or others who have trouble abstaining from sin? I was just thinking about this scripture...

Rev 12:11
"They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony"

Wouldn't it help if we shared how we overcame the enemy? I think a lot of times see others who have been in the faith for a while and only see "righteousness" but don't know about their deliverance (or current struggles). I think we identify more with people when we know they have had many of the same struggles. Just a thought...

Back