I am Pregnant and My hair needs help!!

Dogmd

What in the world is up with my hair. It has decided to become resisitant to anything I put on it. My relaxers are now only lasting 3-4 weeks, then its afro puff time. I wash my hair 2-3 x weekly because I can't control it otherwise. It is very thick at the roots, so in the mornings all I can do is wash, condition, apply moisturizer and follow with coconut oil and wrap it into a bun before it dries and is sticking up all over my head. My hair is now almost bra-clasp length when sompletely straight.
Anyone have any recommendations for uncontrollable hair that has it's own mind because of pregnancy? I have to blow dry and flat iron 1x weekly, otherwise the roots are so rough, that I am afraid it will start breaking until my next relaxer!

I have 4 ab relaxed hair! Thanks!!

Are you still relaxing while pregnate? I didn't I know my hair was a mess, but I didn't have much breakage, and had a ton of growth. I washed 1x a week sometimes 2x and just made sure I moisutrized well. I didn't have to work or go any place really, so I left it tied up alot. I dont know if that is an option for you.

I did not relax during my pregnancy so I had a lot of new growth.
I wore it back in a bun daily for the first 4 mths I would get my roots blown out at the dominican salon. Then I couldn't take it anymore and got braids. It sounds a lot like yours, it was very hard to deal with.

Sorry I don't have any other recs for you.

DogMD (does your name = veterinarian?), congratulations on your pregnancy!

I've had two touchups during my pregnancy, one a couple of days before my second trimester, and one a few weeks ago. The first touchup took and the second one left my hair looking mildly texturized. My hair is 3c, although some days it definitely looks like 4a (some may say both "types" are the same, and I wouldn't argue against that, either).

When I want a straight look, I wet set w/large magnetic curlers so I get more stretch, less curl and sit under the hooded dryer for what feels like forever and a day, lol...which is probably why I don't go for the straight look too often. When my hair is completely dry, I take out the rollers and use a paddle brush to brush my hair into a dry wrap. I'll cover it w/a silk scarf for the night and in the morning I'm ready to go.

I've worn bantu-knot twist-outs but mostly, I wear my hair as you do: in a bun. I've liked Asha's Naturals products to keep my hair together: shiny, soft, smooth and more moisturized than any gel products to keep my hair slicked back. I only need to apply them to damp hair, tie my hair down w/a scarf for 15-20 minutes, and my hairline is flat for the rest of the day.

Wildgrowth Hair Oil (aka "WGO") is *great* at straightening out my hair w/ or w/o heat...but I can't stand the smell these days. If it doesn't bother you, you can try that to get your hair to lie down.

,,,if all else fails, braids are a stylish, relatively low-maintenance option that can save time and energy (except when it comes to taking them down, lol).

Last edited:
Dogmd said:
What in the world is up with my hair. It has decided to become resisitant to anything I put on it. My relaxers are now only lasting 3-4 weeks, then its afro puff time. I wash my hair 2-3 x weekly because I can't control it otherwise. It is very thick at the roots, so in the mornings all I can do is wash, condition, apply moisturizer and follow with coconut oil and wrap it into a bun before it dries and is sticking up all over my head. My hair is now almost bra-clasp length when sompletely straight.
Anyone have any recommendations for uncontrollable hair that has it's own mind because of pregnancy? I have to blow dry and flat iron 1x weekly, otherwise the roots are so rough, that I am afraid it will start breaking until my next relaxer!

I have 4 ab relaxed hair! Thanks!!
Has your doctor said that it was ok for you to relax during your pregnancy? Perhaps you should consider braiding your hair, that is what another pregnant woman I know did. She said it was not worth the possible risk to her baby to relax her hair. Considering the risks and the fact that it is not taking perhaps it would be best to forgo relaxing altogether.

Thanks for your replies.. As far as my Doctor is aware, there have been no studies to prove that relaxer's harm your baby in utero. It is applied to your roots and is only on the hair for a short period of time. As far as braids, my hair grows too fast for me to spend all of that money to then have to take it down 3-4 weeks later ( I can't stand old looking braids)!

I work 6 days a week/ 10 hours a day... so I guess the wet bun will have to work somehow. I was able to do a braid out last night for the first time in my life. But my roots are insane!!! My roots were NEVER this uncontrollable.
I hope my little girl gets her grandmother's hair ( indian) straight and silky!!

Nyambura said:
DogMD (does your name = veterinarian?), congratulations on your pregnancy!

I've had two touchups during my pregnancy, one a couple of days before my second trimester, and one a few weeks ago. The first touchup took and the second one left my hair looking mildly texturized. My hair is 3c, although some days it definitely looks like 4a (some may say both "types" are the same, and I wouldn't argue against that, either).

When I want a straight look, I wet set w/large magnetic curlers so I get more stretch, less curl and sit under the hooded dryer for what feels like forever and a day, lol...which is probably why I don't go for the straight look too often. When my hair is completely dry, I take out the rollers and use a paddle brush to brush my hair into a dry wrap. I'll cover it w/a silk scarf for the night and in the morning I'm ready to go.

I've worn bantu-knot twist-outs but mostly, I wear my hair as you do: in a bun. I've liked Asha's Naturals products to keep my hair together: shiny, soft, smooth and more moisturized than any gel products to keep my hair slicked back. I only need to apply them to damp hair, tie my hair down w/a scarf for 15-20 minutes, and my hairline is flat for the rest of the day.

Wildgrowth Hair Oil (aka "WGO") is *great* at straightening out my hair w/ or w/o heat...but I can't stand the smell these days. If it doesn't bother you, you can try that to get your hair to lie down.

,,,if all else fails, braids are a stylish, relatively low-maintenance option that can save time and energy (except when it comes to taking them down, lol).
Yes I am a Veterinarian. Thank You for your imformative response. I wish could try a wet set, but I haven't been able to find a conditioner to detangle my roots while in the shower. One day I felt like trying to wet set my hair while in the shower. My roots swell up very quickly!!

During my first pregnancy I permed 2x. My hair grew alot but it wasn't to bad . I also did a lot of wash and go. It was all down hill after nursing and post partum stuff. The second time around I did kinky twist , a B.C. and then sported a weave . That was good because I didn't have to deal with my hair very much. Good luck and Congrats!

I am seven months pregnant and natural, but i remember my relaxer days during first pregnancy and my relaxers rarely lasted. During this pregancy I just wash once every two weeks and condition wash every other day. I noticed that low maintance is key for me. I apply jojoba oil to my hair and put back in a bun and once in a blue i might wear my hair down.
With our hormones going crazy this is just a temporary phase. Just try to do deep conditioning and hot oil treatments to help prevent the rough feeling of the hair. Also, use a protective product for the heat you apply to your hair. Not putting a relaxer in for the duration of your pregnancy sounds like it might be a wise choice for your hair's health in the long run.

Good Luck and Congrats to you!

I kept thinking that I wasn't eating enough protien or getting enough nutritional foods. My Hair feels like wool! I was crying like crazy last night, because no one ever told me this would happen. My mother couldn't give her advice because she is still natural and never wanted me to get a relaxer in the first place.

This is something that no book prepares you for. The books say your hair will be long and luxurious because of the hormones/ not rock hard and nappier than all get out!

I have to applaud you NATURAL Mommies!!! I will try the deep conditioning and hot oils! Pray for me!!

With my daughter, I relaxed once and it didn't take whatsoever. After I had her, I relaxed it. But with this one, I was already a year into my transition so there wasn't even a possibility that I would relax. I would consider not relaxing if you have to put the chemicals in every 3-4 weeks. With all that is going on in your body, inhaling toxic fumes that often can't be good for you. A good friend of mine recently had a heart attack that the doctors said was brought on by gas fumes. He hauls gas around and there was a leak or something like that when he was delivering a load.

Dogmd said:
I kept thinking that I wasn't eating enough protien or getting enough nutritional foods. My Hair feels like wool! I was crying like crazy last night, because no one ever told me this would happen. My mother couldn't give her advice because she is still natural and never wanted me to get a relaxer in the first place.

This is something that no book prepares you for. The books say your hair will be long and luxurious because of the hormones/ not rock hard and nappier than all get out!

I have to applaud you NATURAL Mommies!!! I will try the deep conditioning and hot oils! Pray for me!!

I'm sorry you're experiencing this frustration, DogMD. One product that I know some naturals and relaxed heads on this Board have liked for softening and detangling is "Sta Sof Fro." It's a leave-in I've found at Target and Walgreen's. The "type" of hair (i.e., 4a/b, 3a/b) doesn't seem to matter regarding whether one's hair takes to the product. For example, it did nothing for my hair (but my hair is naturally soft and my roots are fairly easy to detangle) but there are other relaxed 3c's who *loved* it, as well as a number of type 4's. It's inexpensive and easily found, so it might be worth checking out.

If you want to wear your roots straight through this pregnancy, you might consider pressing your hair...but there's also the reversion factor and the potential heat damage. Flat twists look elegant and are easy to do and don't take a lot of time to take down. That way you wouldn't have to battle w/your hair each day.

...just trying to think of some other softening/detangling products...b/c maybe super-moisturizing your hair will help make it more pliable, comb-able (is that a real word? lol)...and warm oils treatments are great too. Have you tried the Neutrogena Triple Moisture line? There are 4bs on this Board, Sylver comes to mind, who've been able to stretch their relaxers for a considerable amount of time using these products - plus Sylver's scarf trick (she has an album you might check out, giving step-by-step photo instructions).

I don't know if this will make you feel better but my hair has not been "luxurious" in the least during this pregnancy...quite the opposite, actually. Hang in there, DogMD! We're going through temporary hair frustrations for a greater purpose and once our precious little ones are here, our hair will eventually return to normal. :)

Last edited:
lyphe said:
I am seven months pregnant and natural, but i remember my relaxer days during first pregnancy and my relaxers rarely lasted. During this pregancy I just wash once every two weeks and condition wash every other day. I noticed that low maintance is key for me. I apply jojoba oil to my hair and put back in a bun and once in a blue i might wear my hair down.
With our hormones going crazy this is just a temporary phase. Just try to do deep conditioning and hot oil treatments to help prevent the rough feeling of the hair. Also, use a protective product for the heat you apply to your hair. Not putting a relaxer in for the duration of your pregnancy sounds like it might be a wise choice for your hair's health in the long run.

Good Luck and Congrats to you!

Yep, me too. :)

God Bless you guys for being here and understanding what I am going thru.
Nyambura- your words of encouragement and tips are a godsend.

I have never been fat before ( so It took a while to get use to the excess weight), My husband fell in love with my hair when we got married, and now its a mess ( he tries to be nice and tells me not to worry, but I can't get use to being both fat with nappy hair)!!! I keep having dreams that I will look like this forever. These hormones have got me going crazy. It is absolutely amazing what having a baby put's your body thru!!!

Congrats to all the pregnant mommies dealing with thier hair...I wll keep you all updated on the naps in progress!!!

Back