I am not used to this natural hair - starting to drive me crazy!

belleza

I want to hold on to my goal of being natural. I have got tons of new growth, which is great, but man this is ruff!

I finally realized the real reason for greasing my scalp when I was a kid, was so that mama could get a comb through my hair!

So is your problem just combing your hair? Use your fingers first to comb your hair, then follow up with a wide tooth comb to remove any remaining shed hair. Or you can just exclusively use your fingers. Make sure you either coat your hair with an oil (like coconut oil), a conditioner, aloe juice or some other product that will give you "slip" to reduce friction between your hair strands.

You cannot treat natural hair like straight permed hair. It doesn't work like that. Basically you are going to have to reprogram yourself on how to deal with your hair. Take baby steps and don't expect to conquer your "natural hair journey" overnight.

Why are u trying to comb your hair dry? I only comb my hair wet, saturated with conditioner...Your having a hard time because ur trying to make ur natural hair behave like relaxed hair...

I guess the question is: How does it behave. I started getting relaxers at age 9. This is why I need to go natural. I need to know myself. How can I know myself, if I don't even know what my natural hair looks or acts like. This is getting deep! :wallbash:

Transitioning hair is hard to deal with and most of us who have grown out a relaxer had trouble dealing with the two textures. Most will also report that as the months go by it's gets easier - i think around the 6-8 month stage it gets easier to detangle and generally deal with your hair.

Do not let transitioning put you off becoming natural as it's part of the journey if you are not prepared to do an early Big Chop.

Hun, you are not alone. Most of us have transitioned to natural hair and had to learn how to take care of our hair all over again. You will learn how your hair is suppose to behave as you learn more about your hair. We don't know how your hair is suppose to act like, only you can figure that out. No matter how much advice anyone gives you, you still have to learn what is right for your hair yourself. Trial and error is your best friend. What works for one person does not mean it will work for you. Be patient and take it one day at a time.

I agree with ms-gg...read all you can, experiment, read some more. Forget what you know about doing relaxed hair. If you try to apply a lot of the same principles, you will end up frustrated.

OK - some product advice.
You will need something that makes it easier for you to detangle. I would suggest co-washing and also using Aloe juice as that is a great detangler (i'm a big fan of Kimmaytube's leave-in mix). Off the shelf, Mane n Tail Detangler is fantastic at melting away the tangles.....and go gently and section my section. Use your fingers first and then follow with a wide tooth comb if you need to actually use a comb.
Some transitioners find it easier to blowdry and/or flatiron so it's easier to deal with the two textures on a daily basis but beware of heat damage.

Thank you all for your wisdom - You're right I'm trying to do natural hair with a relexed method. I'm going home right now to do a careful detangle. I'll let you know how it goes!

I have been treating my natural hair like natural hair using leave conditioners, oils, and hair butters. Feels great. Thanks SO much!

Back