I am fed up with my shedding and breakage...and so is my tub!

sassyhair

I have tried everything to help...my problem is not terrible, I do not get handfulls of hair but I still would like to stop my breakage and shedding combo.

list of things I have tried...

Mnt
cpr
aphogee
elasta qp breakage serum
keraphix
mtg
surge
wgo

I wash and deep condition 2x a week.
I either rollerset or airdry in a pony with rollers on the ends.
I use leave-in and oil...with serum on my ends.
I have stopped combing my hair regularly, and I dont comb unless I have moisturizer or wet with conditioner.

any ideas?

Maybe it's what you are or aren't eating. Do you eat a lot of protein? Healthy foods? Do you drink a lot of water?

I deep condition twice a week and use a moisturizer everyday...and night.

that is why I am not understanding, maybe I should not stress, but any breakage is not normal, that is why I am bothering with it.

I hate to be a Kenra Clarifying pusher, but girl this stuff saved my hair.

No matter what I did, I still got breakage. BAD breakage.

I found out that my water was the culprit. After thinking about it in my head, when I moved into my home is when I started having problems with my skin and hair. I am thinking of investing in a water softener for my home. I did buy one of those vitamin C water filters, but I did not like it. Back to the drawing board to find one that I like.

I bought some water test strips and found out that my water is just not ideal for hair and skin. Kenra Clarifying is a chelating shampoo that demineralizes. If I go more than 2 shampoos w/o it, the breakage starts again. It's amazing.

Not saying this is your problem, but it is worth it to rule out everything.

right...if my suave clarifier will work for the water problem, that is ruled out, because I use that normally or I use a dry and itchy scalp shampoo that works like a clarifier.

I just got a bottle of the kenra clarifying. Can't wait to try it.

I also heard that garlic shampoo (Queen Helene unscented garlic shampoo) really works for shedding.

I have too..can I get that from sally's...just in case it doesnt work I wanna take it back, just what I am goin to do with my cpr and silk elements moisturizing treatment that didnt work.

HoneyDew said:

I found out that my water was the culprit. After thinking about it in my head, when I moved into my home is when I started having problems with my skin and hair. I am thinking of investing in a water softener for my home. I did buy one of those vitamin C water filters, but I did not like it. Back to the drawing board to find one that I like.

I bought some water test strips and found out that my water is just not ideal for hair and skin. Kenra Clarifying is a chelating shampoo that demineralizes. If I go more than 2 shampoos w/o it, the breakage starts again. It's amazing.

Right...I was just going to say that you probably need a quality clarifier. I've found that when products don't seem to working I need to clarify...learned that here on this wonderful board!!!!

Have you had your iron levels checked? It may be internal especially if your having problems alleviating it.

sassyhair said:
right...if my suave clarifier will work for the water problem, that is ruled out, because I use that normally or I use a dry and itchy scalp shampoo that works like a clarifier.

I don't know what it is, but Suave does not work the same for my problem. I also tried Keracare's clarifying and that does not work (maybe why they now have those new demineralizing cloths). I tried one by Avalon Organics - not good. I have tried many others, as well.

I think they all clarify well, as far as cleaning is concerned, but they did nothing for my water problem. It may be my pipes or something. I even get rusting and water stains in my toilets, tubs, and sinks! :eek: It has gotten worse over the years. That same water is going on my skin and hair! :mad:

The only ones that has worked are Kenra clarifying and CON Clarifying. I want to try the Redken Cleansing cream because I hear that is is a chelating shampoo, but I am so in love with my Kenra Clarifying that I bought an entore 1/2 gallon of it.

MizaniMami said:
Are you getting enough moisture? Maybe it's not enough moisture.

I second that. Even if you deep condition twice a week, you can still have moisture problems. What conditioner are you using because by the look of the products listed it still looks like alot of protien. What moisturizer are you using on a daily basis. Try switching to something super hydrating as your conditioner for two weeks or so and keep moisturizing daily. I had a problem similar to this before and even with daily moisture, it wasn't until I deep conditioned with moisture exculsively that I saw a change.

Last edited:
sassyhair said:
I have too..can I get that from sally's...just in case it doesnt work I wanna take it back, just what I am goin to do with my cpr and silk elements moisturizing treatment that didnt work.

I checked on the site and it's not listed at all....not even in the discontinued section. So they may have it at certain locations.

You know one conditioner that helps me in the moisture department is Loreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Creme. Sally has the best price for this one.

It never fails to deep condition and drench my hair in moisture. I don't think any of my other moisturizing favorites can compare.

sassyhair said:
I have tried everything to help...my problem is not terrible, I do not get handfulls of hair but I still would like to stop my breakage and shedding combo.

list of things I have tried...

Mnt
cpr
aphogee
elasta qp breakage serum
keraphix
mtg
surge
wgo

I wash and deep condition 2x a week.
I either rollerset or airdry in a pony with rollers on the ends.
I use leave-in and oil...with serum on my ends.
I have stopped combing my hair regularly, and I dont comb unless I have moisturizer or wet with conditioner.

any ideas?
Hey Sassyhair, did you try using the MTG and Surge Exclusively. I use both products EVERYDAY, and it has halted my postpartum shedding completely, my son is now 2 mths old...I lose ZERO hairs while combing and cowashing....I hope you find something that will put an end to your troubles. I also heard great things about garlic shampoo....

I hope that it wasn't the silk elements relaxer that is causing all of this breakage for you. :( If I were you I would just leave it alone for a while.

*Dee* said:
I hope that it wasn't the silk elements relaxer that is causing all of this breakage for you. :( If I were you I would just leave it alone for a while.

That is agood point Dee. I tried that relaxer and got breakage RIGHT after. It did not even get my hair that straight. Ihad to do an Emergencee treatment and a moisturizing treatment to get my hair back in order after that. :scratchch

I dont have any breakage from the Silk Elements relaxer...
and
I got my Garlic Poo from a reg BSS for 3.99

I say err on the side of Moisture :)
Which is something I need to work on since i like to wear my hair out :)

KhandiB said:
I dont have any breakage from the Silk Elements relaxer...
and
I got my Garlic Poo from a reg BSS for 3.99

I say err on the side of Moisture :)
Which is something I need to work on since i like to wear my hair out :)
I hope it's not the relaxer because I'm about to touch up in a few days and will gladly reach for my affirm if silk elements causes problems... I've put to much time and care into my hair for me to have a set back now :(

As far as the silk elements relaxer I only relax every 3 months, and I had this problem b4 I switched to silk elements.

honeydew- I tried the equivalent of natures therapy, i didnt like it.

I deep condition with silk elements...cantu...and I add extra oil to them. My hair as far as being moisturized feels great and soft. it is growing normally and I see length it is just the breakin and shedding.

I will try the garlic shampoo. Most of the products I listed are protein because I already have products that give me great moisture. I was trying those to give my hair strength.

I wonder if it is the Aphogee, because those heavy proteins seem to make my hair crunchy even when I deep condition.

I 2nd Miss Honeydew's statments.
I've been trying to the the dang thing and hook my hair up at home, but after going back to the dominican salon the only thing I can imagine that's causing my breakage is my water because I used the same products when I went to them. My hair is dryish and crunchy when I wash at home.

HoneyDew said:

you're a victim of seasonal shedding. it'll stop when summer is over. while you're waiting, get ZIP-IT to unclog the drain. Good luck to you.

I just co washed and deep conditioned tonight and got so depressed as I looked at my comb, I hope it is seasonal. My hair seems like everyday it is getting harder to comb...I cant take this.

as far as the aphogee I have not used that since last year sometime. I have not used a heavy protein in a long time.

Have you tried roux porosity control from Sally's?

I'm convinced it's the reason my hair isn't breaking. Look at my siggy to see all of the crazy ish I did to my hair...3 chemical treatments back to back. My hair is thriving wonderfully.

Have you checked for the DNA bulbs at the ends of the shed hairs to make sure they are shedding and not breaking? I'm a freak...I check almost every hair that I see fall out.

Back