I am Cutting my Hair?

CG, what did you do? I am currently in the same situation. I cut off about 2-3 inches and I feel as if I need to cut more off, so I will do so as needed for the next few relaxers.

I'm confused. How does cutting the ends make your hair healthier or stronger? I get that by trimming the ends hair appears thicker because it's all one length. But how does cutting the ends off (when they're not damaged) make the rest of the strand healthier or stronger?

I'm confused. How does cutting the ends make your hair healthier or stronger? I get that by trimming the ends hair appears thicker because it's all one length. But how does cutting the ends off (when they're not damaged) make the rest of the strand healthier or stronger?

Msa I totally agree with you - it doesn't. It just appears healthier - but it is no healthier than before.

I used to always be putting a scissor to my head, simply because I wanted my hair to be 'healthy-looking'. All it did was stop my progress, because 6 months later, it all grew out of that cut. And then I'd cut it again - and the cycle goes on and on.

What I've found out from this site is to wait until you've passed a major goal and then trim it up and even it. Then you can maintain it there!:yep:

I have thin ends - and it annoys me. But I need to get over my scissor-happy self and protective style and wear it up!

Well where's the pics?

That's my question :grin:.

I had my hubby cut off about three inches a month ago. I really didn't mean for him to cut that much, but I think that was the next-to-last of my no-lye relaxed ends and they had to go sooner or later. My hair is much healthier but I think it could still stand one more inch off, but I am going to wait on that...!

i straightened my hair b/c i know i needed a trim but I ended up holding off on the trim b/c I know i hardly ever wear my hair straight and out. Maybe trim at the beginning of each year if you're on a length voyage.

Last edited:

In my case, my ends were old and dry, and tangled easily. I spent most of my time detangling my ends. Since I trimmed, I spend less time manipulating my hair to detangle it, so in that sense my hair will stay healthier.

I wouldn't cut healthy ends!

Msa I totally agree with you - it doesn't. It just appears healthier - but it is no healthier than before.

I used to always be putting a scissor to my head, simply because I wanted my hair to be 'healthy-looking'. All it did was stop my progress, because 6 months later, it all grew out of that cut. And then I'd cut it again - and the cycle goes on and on.

What I've found out from this site is to wait until you've passed a major goal and then trim it up and even it. Then you can maintain it there!:yep:

I have thin ends - and it annoys me. But I need to get over my scissor-happy self and protective style and wear it up!

I agree with this entire post. Up until recently, I had not had a major trim in over a year, because as long as there are no splits or damage, then wait until you get to a goal. I was waiting for me to reach MBL, but I had dry ends that kept wrapping around and causing breakage. So I only cut off enough to keep it well-maintained, and left the rest. And will just do it gradually. When I get to my goal of MBL and then WL, I will just trim as needed from that point.

Last edited:
Yeah, I cut 2", but regret it now that I have properly learned to incorporate protein in my regimen. Oh well, at least my hair isn't see through anymore.

But before you ask for pics, I want to grow it out some more as I am in SERIOUS DENIAL:lachen:

CG, what did you do? I am currently in the same situation. I cut off about 2-3 inches and I feel as if I need to cut more off, so I will do so as needed for the next few relaxers.

My philosophy is that there is strength in numbers. A couple of BSL strands will break off quicker that a blunt BSL. Our hair is fragile and the more of it we have (even wise), the easier it is to manipulate.

I say yes cut them so that your hair will be thicker, fuller and healthier and it will help it to grow back faster and better. good luck! :grin:

Give me break, I'm in serius denial. I can't beleive I went and did the deed. Nonetheless, I am happy I did it, but can't stomach the fact that it will take me 4-6months to get the length back.
That's my question :grin:.

I had my hubby cut off about three inches a month ago. I really didn't mean for him to cut that much, but I think that was the next-to-last of my no-lye relaxed ends and they had to go sooner or later. My hair is much healthier but I think it could still stand one more inch off, but I am going to wait on that...!

Yeah, I cut 2", but regret it now that I have properly learned to incorporate protein in my regimen. Oh well, at least my hair isn't see through anymore.

But before you ask for pics, I want to grow it out some more as I am in SERIOUS DENIAL:lachen:

See, I cut off some and I still have see-thru ends left. :ohwell:
But I have yet to straighten it for a length check 'cause you and me are both in DENIAL. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

ITA with you OP, I made the tough decision to go ahead and take it back up to chin length from SL. I'll be doing it on Friday, I think my summer results will be a lot healthier.

Yes, do it! I have had to do that a few times and I was always much happier after the little cut. Your hair is still long so even 3 inches would not hurt you.

Oohhh, but I bet your hair is so beautiful.

I have see-through ends that I have been holding on to for a while. My plan is to "hide my ends" in buns and curly styles throughout Fall and Winter. Then, come Spring 2009, I plan to do some SERIOUS CUTTING 'cuz I want me some blunt ends, too.:yep:

Last edited:
Don't worry I am in the same darn boat.. I recently cut 3 inches of see-thru thin ends :wallbash::wallbash:. I hate thin ends on my hair especially when I know I have thick hair :wallbash::wallbash:. I still have a little thin ends but since I am 8 weeks post I am going to wait until I do my touch-up at the end of December to see how much to really cut ..... I will be adding protein to my regime as well... That was exactly my problem, my hair sheded & broke mostly when wet b/c it was so soft but I still didn't think to use protein until it was too late.....:nono::nono:

Oohhh, but I bet your hair is so beautiful.

I have see-through ends that I have been holding on to for a while. My plan is to "hide my ends" in buns and curly styles throughout Fall and Winter. Then, come Spring 2009, I plan to do some SERIOUS CUTTING 'cuz I want me some blunt ends, too.:yep:

:detective:umm, like where? Your siggy if off the heezy.

:hide:Oh yeah, I did take a pic. But it's not representative of true length cause I didn't flat iron it, just first press with wide coarse pressing comb. How desparate am I for length. Sad.:nono: Thanks Pat!
I checked your fotki - It looks great!!!!!!!!!

:detective:umm, like where? Your siggy if off the heezy.

Thanks, CG. Trust me, I can hide a "multitude of sins" in a twistout.:look: The real deal shows up when I wear my hair straight, which I won't do until Spring...when the cutting begins.....

I look forward to seeing your beautiful pics.

If it bothers you CG you should cut it. It will grow back anyway. I'm considering doing the same thing. You know how to retain length very well so there will be no problems with growing it back.

I'm definitely a fan of even thickness from roots to tips. I think a lot about my ends (which aren't that bad when dry but bother me when I look at my hair when wet) and I wish I had the even thickness all the way through that some of these ladies have. I'm going to start trimming my hair gradually, perhaps a half inch every three or four months. That way I'm making my hair more even without having to succumb to a hair cut.

Aaah, we have magician in the house. You certainly are skilled, because again, I think you hair is lovely. Please keep us posted. Can't wait to share pics with you!

Thanks, CG. Trust me, I can hide a "multitude of sins" in a twistout.:look: The real deal shows up when I wear my hair straight, which I won't do until Spring...when the cutting begins.....

I look forward to seeing your beautiful pics.

Yes, my hair Goddess. You have never given me anything but straight up advice.

ummm....what's up with your hair?:ohwell: It looks fab to me, but you know best. Lawd if I had your hair I would be in HEAVEN!

If it bothers you CG you should cut it. It will grow back anyway. I'm considering doing the same thing. You know how to retain length very well so there will be no problems with growing it back.

I'm definitely a fan of even thickness from roots to tips. I think a lot about my ends (which aren't that bad when dry but bother me when I look at my hair when wet) and I wish I had the even thickness all the way through that some of these ladies have. I'm going to start trimming my hair gradually, perhaps a half inch every three or four months. That way I'm making my hair more even without having to succumb to a hair cut.

We are so on the same page regarding thickness and our lust for it.:yep:

Back