I am a fine-haired lady who wants to try LYE relaxer! HELP!!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
In preparation for my relaxer in the coming week, I am trying to find out whether or not it's o.k. for me to use a lye relaxer. Here's an overview:

1. I have soft, very fine hair.

2. I currently use ORS No-Lye relaxer, but I've heard that No-Lye actually dries out the hair. (I wonder if that's partly the reason why my hair tends to be porous.)

3. I haven't relaxed in 4 months.

4. If No-Lye is better, I wouldn't mind sticking with ORS or trying Phyto.

I know that other fine ladies have posted this question before, so I hope that our question will be answered: Is is o.k. for fine-textured gals to use LYE relaxers?

If so, which one? Could I use ORS Lye? Or, something better.

As always, thanks in advance,

SP

I don't have fine hair.. hell I have thin hair (check the fotki). I use Mizani Lye for Fine/ColorTreated hair and it works great for me.

MsDee4 said:
I don't have fine hair.. hell I have thin hair (check the fotki). I use Mizani Lye for Fine/ColorTreated hair and it works great for me.

I use Mizani for fine/color treated hair too. Be carefull, changing rlaxers and shampoos too often could do more damage than good but if the one you are using now is not working I guess you Have to change it. Just my two cents

Serenity_Peace said:
In preparation for my relaxer in the coming week, I am trying to find out whether or not it's o.k. for me to use a lye relaxer. Here's an overview:

2. I currently use ORS No-Lye relaxer, but I've heard that No-Lye actually dries out the hair. (I wonder if that's partly the reason why my hair tends to be porous.)

I know that other fine ladies have posted this question before, so I hope that our question will be answered: Is is o.k. for fine-textured gals to use LYE relaxers?

SP

Serenity, today I used Silk Elements Mild as opposed to SE regular LYE, enough to manipulate without pain and snags. I switched because I really like SE lye results { the price is a factor also} but did not like the thinner diameter I had from the regular. I like SE because it gives me that East Indian hair look which is nice but a thinner diameter of hair. I switched to LYE from NO-LYE due to SHAMBOOSOE's book. My hair was dry as he said it would be until I switched to lye relaxers. I also have less breakage but that may be due to using consistent moisture and APHOGEE 2 minute and the APHOGEE HARD PROTEIN. Better.......LYE or NO-LYE, I do not know, I know some ladies here are doing just fine with NO-LYE but I see an improvement in my texture and less breakage since switching to LYE.

Last edited:
I am fine haired and have ALWAYS use lye relaxers. Once I couldn't get to my brother for him to do my relaxer and I went to the Dominicans to let them do my relaxer and they used Alter Ego No-Lye Relaxer. I was forewarned from some of the posts on here of what I could experience from using a No-Lye (build up, extra dryness, brittle hair), and even the extra moisturizing didn't combat the dryness. The no-lye also left me slightly underprocessed in some areas (as it had been 6 months before I had a relaxer).................

I was glad to switch back to lye and don't think I will be changing again.

HTH

BB:)

I stick to lye relaxers for my fine hair. I've been pretty happy with Designer's Touch Mild. One day I plan to try Mizani. I overprocessed with Silk Elements (crown of hair - thickest) and underprocessed everywhere else. It burned me and never happens to me. Then I switched to the Mild and I was underprocessed all over but I think that was due to my paranoia...I overprotected my hair with preconditioner and base. Anyway, went back to Designer's Touch where I'll stay for a while.

blackbarbie said:
I am fine haired and have ALWAYS use lye relaxers. Once I couldn't get to my brother for him to do my relaxer and I went to the Dominicans to let them do my relaxer and they used Alter Ego No-Lye Relaxer. I was forewarned from some of the posts on here of what I could experience from using a No-Lye (build up, extra dryness, brittle hair), and even the extra moisturizing didn't combat the dryness. The no-lye also left me slightly underprocessed in some areas (as it had been 6 months before I had a relaxer).................

I was glad to switch back to lye and don't think I will be changing again.

HTH

BB:)

Your hair doesn't look fine at all. It is simply gorgeous. Looks thick. Thank you so much for sharing!

BrooklynSouth said:
Serenity, today I used Silk Elements Mild as opposed to SE regular LYE, enough to manipulate without pain and snags. I switched because I really like SE lye results { the price is a factor also} but did not like the thinner diameter I had from the regular. I like SE because it gives me that East Indian hair look which is nice but a thinner diameter of hair. I switched to LYE from NO-LYE due to SHAMBOOSOE's book. My hair was dry as he said it would be until I switched to lye relaxers. I also have less breakage but that may be due to using consistent moisture and APHOGEE 2 minute and the APHOGEE HARD PROTEIN. Better.......LYE or NO-LYE, I do not know, I know some ladies here are doing just fine with NO-LYE but I see an improvement in my texture and less breakage since switching to LYE.

I gotta look up this book. Sounds very interesting. So you like Silk Elements? I heard good things. My hair soaks up moisture and water. I'm thinking it's because it's porous. Now, before coming to this board, I had no idea what that meant, but I'm slowly learning. I went out and purchased Porous Control. I've been trying really hard to care for my hair. Strands are getting a bit thicker, but I simply attribute that to needing a relaxer. As always, thank for your help. I've heard all these good things about lye, including stopping breaking and retaining moisture.

Cayenne0622 said:
I stick to lye relaxers for my fine hair. I've been pretty happy with Designer's Touch Mild. One day I plan to try Mizani. I overprocessed with Silk Elements (crown of hair - thickest) and underprocessed everywhere else. It burned me and never happens to me. Then I switched to the Mild and I was underprocessed all over but I think that was due to my paranoia...I overprotected my hair with preconditioner and base. Anyway, went back to Designer's Touch where I'll stay for a while.

It's hard to believe that you are fine-haired. It looks dense, beautifully thick. The crown of my hair is thickest as well. In fact, I'll relax that part first, rather than the traditional way of starting at the back/nape first.

Serenity_Peace said:
It's hard to believe that you are fine-haired. It looks dense, beautifully thick. The crown of my hair is thickest as well. In fact, I'll relax that part first, rather than the traditional way of starting at the back/nape first.

Girl, I didn't learn to relax my crown first until I found this board. Now I know why my nape has always been breaking and shorter than the rest of my hair. Its gonna thrive now...I just now it!!!
I don't know why my hair looks so deceiving sometimes but it has never been thick. I'm praying it'll get there...or close to it. I know the things I've learned on this board...and HENNA...has contributed to the thicker look of my hair.

Yeah I know. That's what scares me. My hair looks thicker and fuller now, but what happens after I finally relax? I won't henna again until a week after my relaxer and I'm looking forward to henna-ing moreso than the relaxer.:lol: I really enjoy doing it, just relaxing and doing other things while the henna is doing its job. I know that the better health of my hair has partly to do with henna and my internal vitamins/supplements.

Happy growing!;)

I have tried both & I think the lye works best for my hair. I have noticed less breakage & I don't have the cronic dryness my hair experienced with no lye relaxers. I just relaxed over the weekend using the SE & this time I used mild instead regular & im very pleased with the results. My hair is was straight in 15 min with no burning at all!

Bumping for update...

Serenity, did you ever end up using a lye relaxer? If so, what was you experience like with it?

I have fine hair, medium density. I use Mizani for color treated/fine...in and out in 8 mins with no smoothing. I also add keratin oil to mine...love it!

Nixx said:
Bumping for update...

Serenity, did you ever end up using a lye relaxer? If so, what was you experience like with it?

Sadly, I stuck with a No Lye and relaxed on April 15. I used Phyto Index I, which has left my hair drier than ever and underprocessed at the crown. Never before have I had this degree of dryness. Lots of ladies here know how I have continued to struggle with dry, dull-looking hair. And I've spent far too much money on products that claim to add moisture, and oils that help seal in moisture. But, really it's still a battle.

I'm also starting to experience more breakage that clarifying, protein, etc. doesn't seem to be helping. I didn't break much before, but I've noticed that the breakage is creeping up again.

I am a little past shoulder length, and this is the critical time for me when my hair generally starts to break. I've never been much longer than I am now before I end up just cutting my hair because the ends act up and/or my hair won't grow.

I have been wearing buns on a daily basis. I drink 80 ounces of water a day, workout, eat well, take my vitamins. But nothing seems to be rectifying my dryness/dullness problem.

So I have concluded that the culprit must definitely be the No-Lye relaxer. Again I was so disappointed with Phyto. It was certainly a waste of money. :(

However, I'm still not sure if I will try a Lye relaxer when I finally do relax in August.

I'm at a loss of what to do. Right now I'm just frustrated and irritated.:mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Hey Serenity... Phyto 1 did a number on my hair also,, extreme dryness and brittleness on my fine strands,, and then I used no lye ORS, which made it worse.. I finally relaxed again after a 4 month stretch and used Lady Velvet mild, the dryness brittleness, breakage, shedding is gone. It was put in by a professional who texlaxed my hair, dusted it and my hair is beautiful.. I am never going back to no lye EVER!

Serenity_Peace said:
Sadly, I stuck with a No Lye and relaxed on April 15. I used Phyto Index I, which has left my hair drier than ever and underprocessed at the crown. Never before have I had this degree of dryness. Lots of ladies here know how I have continued to struggle with dry, dull-looking hair. And I've spent far too much money on products that claim to add moisture, and oils that help seal in moisture. But, really it's still a battle.

I'm also starting to experience more breakage that clarifying, protein, etc. doesn't seem to be helping. I didn't break much before, but I've noticed that the breakage is creeping up again.

I am a little past shoulder length, and this is the critical time for me when my hair generally starts to break. I've never been much longer than I am now before I end up just cutting my hair because the ends act up and/or my hair won't grow.

I have been wearing buns on a daily basis. I drink 80 ounces of water a day, workout, eat well, take my vitamins. But nothing seems to be rectifying my dryness/dullness problem.

So I have concluded that the culprit must definitely be the No-Lye relaxer. Again I was so disappointed with Phyto. It was certainly a waste of money. :(

However, I'm still not sure if I will try a Lye relaxer when I finally do relax in August.

I'm at a loss of what to do. Right now I'm just frustrated and irritated.:mad: :mad:

Thank you so much for responding ;)!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such a difficult time. I know with time, your hair will improve and bounce back.*hugs*

growinglong777 said:
Hey Serenity... Phyto 1 did a number on my hair also,, extreme dryness and brittleness on my fine strands,, and then I used no lye ORS, which made it worse.. I finally relaxed again after a 4 month stretch and used Lady Velvet mild, the dryness brittleness, breakage, shedding is gone. It was put in by a professional who texlaxed my hair, dusted it and my hair is beautiful.. I am never going back to no lye EVER!

Hmmm...

I'm really starting to wonder if the difference is not Lye vs. No-Lye, but No-Lye vs. No-Lye. I really need to do some research on this. I'm thinking that perhaps the No-Lyes that some of us are using which cause dryness have ingredients that other No-Lyes have. For me, I've already figured out that ORS No Lye, Phyto Relaxer, Motions and Dark N' Lovely are No-Lyes that don't like my hair.

So, if I compare the ingredients of all of these No-Lyes and see if there is a common ingredient that seems to be the culprit, then maybe I'll be able to pin a No-Lye relaxer that doesn't contain this drying agent.

Anyone have any ideas?

Off to do some research...;)

growinglong777 said:

Lady Velvet ... :scratchch

No wonder why your looks beautiful like DLewis'. That's her favorite too.

Serenity_Peace said:

Aww Serenity im sorry this happend to u :( ...Im fine haired also and am prepping myself to self relax sometime this month and was wondering the same thing on which relaxer to use ..Ive made a decision to use Mizani lye for fine/color treated hair since Ive notice alot of the fine hair ladies with beautiful hair on this board seem to use it...It was a toss up between that and Silk Elements but im gonna go with Mizani and see....Maybe u can give that a try in August...until then just keep that hair clarified and moisturized and continue with the PC and be careful not to get protein overload :)

Originally Posted by growinglong777

victorious said:
Lady Velvet ... :scratchch

No wonder why your looks beautiful like DLewis'. That's her favorite too.

Hmmm im just now hearing about this Lady Velvet:scratchch time to do somemore research:cool:

Serenity_Peace said:

SP

Use a mild relaxer. I have fine hair and I use Vitale Life and Body Mild Relaxer. It works well for my hair.

MissMadaam said:
Hmmm im just now hearing about this Lady Velvet:scratchch time to do somemore research:cool:

Have you always used lye? Have you ever used no-lye?

BTW, your hair is very pretty and thick:love:!

MissMadaam said:
Aww Serenity im sorry this happend to u :( ...Im fine haired also and am prepping myself to self relax sometime this month and was wondering the same thing on which relaxer to use ..Ive made a decision to use Mizani lye for fine/color treated hair since Ive notice alot of the fine hair ladies with beautiful hair on this board seem to use it...It was a toss up between that and Silk Elements but im gonna go with Mizani and see....Maybe u can give that a try in August...until then just keep that hair clarified and moisturized and continue with the PC and be careful not to get protein overload :)

Hi MissMadaam! :wave:

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. Will you let me know how things work out for you. If you try the Lady Velvet, the Vitale Mild or whatever, let me know how it works for you. I still have two more months to decide what I will try next. :kiss:

Hi twin! :D

I used Mizani mild last time but I think that I over-based b/c it didn't really get me straight :( I ended up doing a corrective later that day :look: (You didn't just read that :lachen: )

But when I used Motions Mild, it got me straight. Not bone straight but not texlaxed either. So I will use less base this next t/u and see how Mizani works again.

IMO the only diff b/t lye and no-lye is this: Lye is better for the hair than the scalp, and No-lye is better for the scalp than the hair.

Ok, going back to finish reading this thread :)
HTH

ETA: Ok I'm done reading--that "culprit" in the no-lye is the calcium hydroxide...It has a habit of leaving the hair's cuticle open, which results in all the moisture and hard work seeping out of the hair shaft. I think Porosity Control could help a little bit, but I think lye relaxers (sodium hydroxide) may just be the way to go (for long-term...) According to Shamboosie's book, you'll need to do a corrective if you decide to go the lye relaxer route, in order to correct the no-lye's results on the hair.

Last edited:
Hey, D Lewis is the reason why I used the Lady Velvet.. I pondered for months looking for the right relaxer for my hair.. I did not have any luck with the other ones.. after much thought.. one of my co -workers has beautiful BSL hair like DLEWIS and I asked her what she was using as a relaxer and who did her hair, and there it was. It was the perfect relaxer and the perfect stylist, one who really listened. I am so grateful I can't stand it. :lachen:

Serenity_Peace said:

Aww. I have fine strands and i use ORS. I leave the ORS Replenish pack on my head for hours after i have washed out the relaxer. this helps so much and my hair is always super soft after. then i finish with a light amount of the ors olive oil lotion moisturizer then seal with some oil. that works well for me. :)

Nixx said:
Have you always used lye? Have you ever used no-lye?

BTW, your hair is very pretty and thick:love:!

Thank u!!! :) I get my hair relaxed at the salon with lye relaxer but I dont like how she uses a fine tooth comb to comb the the new growth :mad: I had alot of breakage last time she did that it was my first 12 week stretch and she was rippin thru it ...plus I dont feel she neutralizes it good enough and I realy dont care for the products she uses.. So this is leading me to do my own relaxers ..heck I do everything else :)

growinglong777 said:
Hey, D Lewis is the reason why I used the Lady Velvet.. I pondered for months looking for the right relaxer for my hair.. I did not have any luck with the other ones.. after much thought.. one of my co -workers has beautiful BSL hair like DLEWIS and I asked her what she was using as a relaxer and who did her hair, and there it was. It was the perfect relaxer and the perfect stylist, one who really listened. I am so grateful I can't stand it. :lachen:

Did you buy the Lady Velvet relaxer on your own, then take it with you to have it applied; or, did your stylist have this on hand? Is it Lye or No-Lye? If I could have hair like you, MissMadaam, and DLewis, ya'll wouldn't be able to stop me!:lol:

Back