I almost cried for them...

That is why I stopped going to them almost 20 years ago. They never listened to me. I would blow dry my hair as straight as I could before going in and they still managed to rip though my hair. I didn't know about proper hair care at the time but even then I knew it was wrong. Then you had the cutting, the lighters, dirty shops, food on the work counter, etc.

This thread reminds me why I never want to do that again (not to mention my ADD brain cant sit for more than a few minutes anyway!).

2 Comments

1) I wish people could refer to online healthy hair communities. BUT HOWEVER I like to keep LHCF right the way it is. Could you imagine the opinions, treatments, etc that would over take this board. YouTube is a prime example of some of the BS thats on there to grow healthy, longer hair, install weaves, etc. I can see a thread now "How to Relax New Born Hair Safely"

2) On a ladder scale (1 being unhealthy) & (10 being healthy) i remember growing up in the 90's that majority of the people in elementary school had on average 5 hair rating. Most of our styles, were ponytails with the ballies & berets. Others had damaged hair....but rather your hair was styled or unkept...it was still your hair.

I feel like TODAY....damaged hair, baldness, etc is on the rise starting @ 5 is because people wants to look cute (no harm in that) but in the wrong way. I don't know the purpose of weaving 5 year olds but i've seen it.

I remember having bad hair days in school, even on picture day. You had to deal with bad hair days. 1994 year book had 95% no-weave hairstyles...in 2014 year books, 95% of black hair will be in weaves.

Why is weaving (other than for protective styling, styling options) so important. Why risk the permanent damage. Maybe the same reason i relax.

229094_1025944172514_7979_n.jpg
226404_1025944212515_8232_n.jpg

230019_1025944332518_9046_n.jpg

TheEspressoHair - I was in high school in 1994 and no one wore weaves. There was one girl and they "clowned" her to no end because of it (she also claimed it was her hair - tracks, glue and all). Weaves were for movie stars and singers, not regula ole folks.

Mahogony7 - IKR = I know I looked a hot mess, walking out of the shop with the black ($2.99) satin bonnet on my head wearing earrings. But I didn't care. My daughter laughed and asked if I actually left the shop like that. :lachen: I said sure did.

OMG - I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could speak French so that I could listen then reply in French. That would be the ultimate.

My French is now extremely poor,but at the time it was apart of my studies. I have walked out of those places with doobies and scarfs on my head with not an ounce of shame. I applaud every lady who does it too.

I hope to find a young person who knows how to cornrow and need a couple of dollars, to do braid my hair in 2 weeks or so.
If not, I will have to find another shop to braid my hair

I saw this when I went to another braiding shop than where I normally go to over the summer. People always look at me crazy when I get my hair braided because my hair is thick and dense as hell, even though it's never really been that long. Couple that with the fact that I actually have edges left. The lady I get my hair braided by I've been going to her for almost 10 years, and the shop she works in, you tend to see women with various hair lengths, not all short, damaged, broken off hair. That's why I don't like going to other braiding shops, but I had to because she was booked the day I needed my hair done.

What I have noticed is that in African hair shops the braiders themselves usually have very little hair. It is usually short and broken off. When they start ripping through my hair I can see why.

Not sure if I am being realistic, but I want to be optimistic and not believe that EVERY African braidingbraiding shop operates at this level. However, ITA with that there is a definite need for licensing and facility inspections.

The mere fact that braiders will [B]"wash" [/B](not shampoo), blow dry, press, apply hair products, goes well beyond just "braiding" - which elevates them to an increased service provider and should require licensing.
There should be a basic level of hygiene, cleanliness, and health awareness required for even "braid only" shops if you are servicing patrons.

I notice you keep emphasizing the word 'wash.' Just curious, what is the difference between washing and shampooing hair? :confused:

I love that you bought your own tools. I hollared when you said you bought out the condish mix and a shower cap. They tried to talk sh!t once and I kindly asked them in French was there a problem? No one uttered a word after that.

haha, love this! xD :lol:

Reaching much?
A lot? Really though?
Not knowing proper hair care= africans having negative views of Blackness and hating their hair?

Outside of the message boards there are so many other kinds of Black women walking around with unhealthy , chopped, relaxer, or even non-relaxed damaged hair. I don't think Africans have cornered the market on "unhealthy hair practices".

Thank you. The self hate and African men comments was uncalled for.

Excuse me Which Africans are you talking about? I don't think so maybe the Niaja girl you know but that is not the case with everyone and in the case of me and my peoples hell naw we are very happy with the way we look. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Everyday when I am out I see American Black women with the most awful hair known to man due to their own ignorance. Africans don't have the lock on self hate nor jacked up hair. :ohwell:

this is the reason why there should be a natural haircare license so that basic cleanliness can be established like it is in barber/cosmetology school. they also could learn proper hair care. i don't play with sanitation-disinfection.

in alot of ways africans have an even more negative view of blackness (physical features in particular) than their brothers & outside of the continent all while eating their indigeous foods, clothing, and maintaining their culture/customs. they stay ripping though hair like they hate its nappiness. i stopped talking to one of my naija co-worker about hair stuff ( she braids too tight, rarely washes/conditions, hates her skin color,and stays wearing weaves/braids) but yet every time i flat-iron she's in awe and asking 50-11 questions bout what I did and asking did I relax 8000 times.

Last edited:
I can't speak to any self hate issues but I went to a number of African shops when I was in college and I remember thinking that they must not like African Americans because they are quick to talk about you in their language and are unneccesarily rough. It didn't matter if you complained. They might go easier on you for the next few braids but by the time it was over they'd be manhandling you like before. This was the pattern in numerous shops and it didn't matter if my hair was bone straight.

I gave up on them many years ago. I know this is a generalization but its held true for me and my sister.

Last edited:
What is sad is some of these babies are used to their hair being pulled like that. I have not been there in a over a year now but at one African salon downtown in Brooklyn (Amy Sako) I saw a little girl around 5 years old crying in pain as her hair was braided.

I filmed a bit of my hair being done that day: http://youtu.be/XYXcsarYuoo

It made me uncomfortable and I asked if they could do something to loosen the braids. Her aunt kept going on and on about how it didn't really hurt but the child was crying real tears. That went on for about 30 minutes until her super tight braids were done. They are done like that every two weeks according to the aunt.

The weird part is when the braiding was done the little girl got a ring lollipop and started smiling and laughing like it was no big deal.

I did not allow them to braid my hair roughly and I went back and had some braids redone about 10 days later because they slipped out. They claimed it was because I would not let them braid super tight. What a load of BS! I never went back.

Last edited:
I never got my hair braided at those places but I had plenty of friends that did much to my dismay one of them is an American born girl of African parents the others were Africans that have been here for awhile or came here at an early age.

They were rough on them too. and they were talked about also. They even talked about the African woman from the same country after she left the shop they talk about everybody. I just chalked it up to a bunch of rough looking chicks with rough hair practises that showed no mercy on those they touched.

Its like the same at a salon in the hood only American style how many threads have I seen about someone going into a NON African salon and getting the same treatment even worse. Its unprofessional no matter who does it.

I can't speak to any self hate issues but I went to a number of African shops when I was in college and I remember thinking that they must not like African Americans because they are quick to talk about you in their language and are unneccesarily rough. It didn't matter if you complained. They might go easier on you for the next few braids but by the time it was over they'd be manhandling you like before. This was the pattern in numerous shops and it didn't matter if my hair was bone straight.

I have up on them many years ago. I know this is a generalization but its held true for me and my sister.

Almaz

:lachen: you know i wasn't talking about you! no comment on naija and other west african gals :look:

in other news can you post some yummy ethiopian recipes in the veggie-vegan recipes thread in the natural living section, i know you got skills in the kitchen!

Okay but remember I lived in West Africa for 7 years. I will post some recipes soon thanks

@Almaz

:lachen: you know i wasn't talking about you! no comment on naija and other west african gals :look:

in other news can you post some yummy ethiopian recipes in the veggie-vegan recipes thread in the natural living section, i know you got skills in the kitchen!

Back