I Acheived My Hair Goal!!...and then...

lovelymissyoli

I reached my 1st hair goal..YEA
grin.gif
!! and then…I had to cut it! Its okay I’m just happy that I reached my first goal of having healthy, flowing hair. I was trying to hang onto my hair before my stylist cut it (my right side was 4 inches longer than the left ) but I know I needed to start off fresh and of course have hair that looks even! My stylist highlighted my hair, flat ironed it, cut it to make it even, and trimmed my ends. Now my hair has some serious body!!! Anyways I’m just really happy that all the conditioner washes, constant moisturizing, and protecting my ends paid off! I want to say “Thank You” to all the ladies of LHCF who posted the tips that helped me get on track to taking better care of my hair.

Now I have a problem. I plan to keep my hair up for at least a week more, if it will hold that long. After that I don’t really know how to care for my natural hair...yes, that’s right, I’ve decided to go natural as well. As you can see from the pictures, since I stopped getting relaxers 6 months ago, my edges were going through something fierce and had to be brushed down, but of course that didn’t help since I was sweating in this 100-degree weather. Anyways, once my hair starts to revert back to its natural state I’m going to have trouble keeping it straight. Ladies I need some help, some tips, anything to keep my hair going…

P.S.> I posted pics of my hair in my album under "Taking Hair Down".

Congrats, lovelymissyoli! I'm natural, so maybe I can help you....

My hair tends to be on the dry side, so what I do is shampoo, deep condition every week. I start off with a pre-shampoo treatment on dry hair. I mix honey, coconut oil, jojoba oil and sometimes castor oil and heat it up in a microwave. I then put the oil mixture in an applicator bottle and apply it to my scalp and hair. I put a plastic cap on my head and either wrap a towel around my head or sit under the dryer for about an hour. Then shampoo, deep condition as usual.

* #1 key is moisture. Cannot stress that enough. Moisture, moisture, moisture!

* Conditioner washes are very good for naturals. Keeps your hair moisturized and some say that it promotes growth! Suave naturals and VO5 conditioners are best for this.

* Coconut oil (and coconut milk, I've heard!) will be your best friend! It really softens your hair! I use it everyday, sometimes twice a day. Fantasia IC silky gel moisturizer activator is good, too.

*Try twist outs, braid outs, rollersets, for versatility and no-heat contact.

Lastly, check out this thread started by Bublnbrnsuga. It's about tips on transistioning/going natural:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat/0/Board/Women/Number/483569/page/7/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all

That's all I can think of for now!
Hope this helps!

Thanks ladies.

**Tigerlily, you know I'll have to try to find this coconut oil/milk that everyone is talking about. I've become a product junkie over the last week buying up every product in sight so I'm going to try the rollersets and strawsets. I don't know exactly how to do twist outs but I'll look around at other albums for tips.

Your hair looks absolutely wonderful! Congrats on being at a new beginning.

Tigerlily - where do you buy the Fantasia IC silky gel moisturizer activator.

***Hairlove you can find Fantasia IC silky gel moisturizer activator at Sally's Beauty Supply, that's where I got my Fantasia IC Ice pomade and leave in conditioner treatment.

[ QUOTE ]
caligirl2385 said:
very pretty. congrats!! btw - how long was your hair b4 u started doing the 6-month braid thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
caligirl2385 said: oh and how long were you keeping each set of braids in for? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Caligirl,

I believe my hair was collarbone length. It grew about 3-4 inches. As for the length I kept the braids in, it was probably 2 months for each set of braids. I recently started taking better care of my hair in braids. Before this site I was doing all the no-no's associated with hair being in braids. If I had known about this site a year ago, I wouldn’t have suffered as much. It’s okay now that I have some knowledge. I plan to keep my hair down for a while and take better care of it. When I get tired and want a change I’ll try a cornrow style.

Your hair lokos so soft, smooth and full. And the highlights are really nice. Its obvious your hair is in good condition.

lovely, your hair is looking really good! I'm loving your highlights (they remind me of Keshia Knight Pulliam's in the one call away video)! Can you tell me what brand and color you used? Was your hair pretty dark before putting them in? Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
CheerHHS said:
lovely, your hair is looking really good! I'm loving your highlights (they remind me of Keshia Knight Pulliam's in the one call away video)! Can you tell me what brand and color you used? Was your hair pretty dark before putting them in? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank You. The brand my stylist put in my hair was Clairol's. It was in a brown bottle with a gray label. I'm not too sure of the color though, I know it was a brownish color and a lighter one as well. I didn't get a chance to look at the name of the color, just the brand. Sorry for the lack of information. You can find it in your local BSS though, I do know that. As for the color of my hair before the highlights, it was a dark brown.

Back