I accidentally found a way to defeat shrinkage...

yamilee21

with a twistout. :yep: Very late Friday night, I washed my hair and fell asleep without getting a chance to do much to it. Saturday morning, I had to go out, but my hair was still wet, so I put it into a side bun. We were out all all day, but when I got home at night, my hair was still quite damp. I haven't done two-strand twists (other than in a ponytail) for years, so I decided to try that. I must have made them too small, or maybe I've been in denial about the amount of post-partum shedding I've had, but the twists looked pretty sad, like anemic wannabe dreads on a balding person. :nono: So I took out the twists, and was surprised at how much I liked the resulting twistout. I left it out for a few hours, expecting it to shrink up to my shoulders as usual and get poofy, but that did not happen, so I had to take pictures.

I put my hair into a bun of 3 big twists to sleep, and expected to wake up to a poofy mess. To my astonishment, the twistout looked the same the next day, and lasted several days, with relatively little frizz (for me) and poofiness, with minimal upkeep. There was little additional shrinkage; most strands stayed between midback and waist, despite the constant rain and humidity. So I had to take more pictures, on Day 4 of this twistout miracle, :lol:.

I only wished I had thought to put rollers on the ends, so that the ends would not have been so scraggly.

To compare, here are pictures of a wash & go, using the same leave-in and oil, in almost fully shrunken, frizzy glory after air-drying for over 24 hours.

Not only did it look frizzier, it *felt* frizzy and wiry, whereas my twistout felt soft, and stayed soft. Clearly, twistouts are the way to go. ;)

Last edited:
Beautiful Hair!!! and I don't think your hair looks thin in any way shape or form. :) How much shrinkage do you usually get?

Wow, look at that pretty head of hair! Your twist out is beautiful! Do you think that your shrinkage was less because your hair was moist for several days, or because the twists actually had time to set while still damp?

... Do you think that your shrinkage was less because your hair was moist for several days, or because the twists actually had time to set while still damp?

Good question... I've been trying to figure it out, because I don't want this to be a fluke, :lol:. I doubt think the 24+ hours of being damp after washing helped, because that always happens unless I dry with heat, yet I always have the same shrinkage. When I do twists on damp hair, they usually start shrinking as I am twisting. The main difference this time was that my hair was well moisturized - I didn't have to moisturize and seal with oil again until Wednesday.

Thanks for this post. I did a twistout on wet hair after washing a couple of weeks ago too...and the resulting TO the next day stayed for three days.

I was amazed. I think you are onto something.

Do you recall what kind of shampoo and conditioner you used? What leave-in? Any oil or butter to seal?

Thanks again for this!

cj

See I need to spend more time on the hair board. This is the first time I've seen your hair. It's quite lovely.

What was your hair care regimen for the twist out? What would you consider your hair type to be? Please list products you used. TIA

... Do you recall what kind of shampoo and conditioner you used? What leave-in? Any oil or butter to seal? ...

What was your hair care regimen for the twist out? What would you consider your hair type to be? Please list products you used. TIA

... Did you let the twist out dry from your damp hair?

Bear in mind that I was not planning on doing a twistout at all when I washed.
* I did a homemade protein treatment first with egg, olive oil, some Tresemme conditioner to hold it together, and maybe some other stuff that I can't think of now;
* one shampoo with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo;
* a pseudo-deep conditioner with some Tresemme and Garnier Fructis conditioners augmented with olive oil, honey and maybe something else - covered this with a plastic cap while I enjoyed a long, very hot shower;
* another conditioner with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner to finish detangling
[squeezed excess water out with a t-shirt, put my hair up with a clip, got distracted, forgot about finishing my hair and fell asleep... 10 hours later... ]
* applied leave-in mixture (water, TJ conditioner, jojoba and wheat germ oils) to still very damp hair, sealed ends and edges with castor oil, and put it in a bun for the day... 13 hours later...
* added more leave-in in small sections to still damp hair, made 40-50 two-strand twists, sealing the end of each with a dab of castor oil - it took a little over an hour to make the twists
I put the twists into a hair net to sleep. As I mentioned, the twists themselves looked terrible, so I decided to take them out - that was about 14 hours afer putting them in. I guess my hair was finally dry by then, but was super-moisturized. The first pictures were taken about 8 hours after I undid the twists.

About the products I used, I am trying to get rid of the stuff I already have before buying new products, and I am still trying to figure out what I want to try (I kind of wish a product junkie/mixologist would just make a shopping list for me, :lol:). I wouldn't really recommend the Tresemme and Garnier Fructis conditioners; I just want to finish them up. But the leave-in mixture works better than any of the many leave-ins I have tried over the years, not that any of those were truly quality products.

As for my hair type, I think it is mostly 3c/3b, with a small, annoying 2b/2c patch in the back, and bits of 4a around the edges.

Just to compare, I did a wash and go today with the same leave-ins. I'll add the resulting pictures once it has shrunk up and dried.

Back