How to wear my hair

bibs

Hi all! It's been forever since I've been on actively. I'm busy trying to finish my last semester of undergrad which brings me to this very important thought: How to wear my hair.

My mom desperately wants me to get it straightened and I know she wont forgive me if I don't but I haven't used heat since my BC in September and am terrified of heat damage. Plus I live in GA and our graduation is outside so the humidity/ heat will be ridiculous. I don't wanna be walking around looking halfway between my curls and a blowdry :hair: before the commencement even begins.

Do you ladies have any suggestions for keeping my tresses at bay in the humidity while still ensuring I can fit my cap on my head? If I can get it nicely styled without direct heat and have it stay all day I'd be thrilled but I think I may be asking for too much.

Should I just get a sew in? Try roller setting (been doing my research not sure if it'll last all day)? Straighten?

Ok, sorry this is long. I type how I talk, long-winded, :lol: TIA

I would try kccc with some hairspray or mini twist/mini braids. But if you must straighten use mizani humidity resistant mist.

I did some minitwists the other day that came out cute. Maybe if I took my time on them they'd be good enough for her. She wants me to get pics done and is a relaxer snob/ hates my natural hair :ohwell:

IDK if a braided updo will fit under there lol and I hate the way I look in cornrows. They're cute on a lot of people not me.

Do you think the humidity mist would withstand a few hours outdoors?

Why would your mom not forgive you for not straightening your hair? It is YOUR hair. Wear it how you feel comfortable. You haircare goals that you want for yourself. Don't let what others say change that for you. I think I nice braided up do would be pretty. I think they look regal.

Thank you Ms. Chelle. I may not go for cornrows but I'm definitely considering individual braids or twists now

Why would your mom not forgive you for not straightening your hair? It is YOUR hair. Wear it how you feel comfortable. You haircare goals that you want for yourself. Don't let what others say change that for you. I think I nice braided up do would be pretty. I think they look regal.

Exactly. Girl you are about to be a college graduate. Tell mama you got this :yep:.

Exactly. Girl you are about to be a college graduate. Tell mama you got this :yep:.

Lol I wish! Overbearing mama's always got to have her way! :spinning:

I was thinking about a half wig for a split second but I'd still have to do something with the front, right?

You can try a bantu knot out. I tried it last year when I graduated and received a lot of compliments on this hairstyle.

I did some minitwists the other day that came out cute. Maybe if I took my time on them they'd be good enough for her. She wants me to get pics done and is a relaxer snob/ hates my natural hair :ohwell:

IDK if a braided updo will fit under there lol and I hate the way I look in cornrows. They're cute on a lot of people not me.

Do you think the humidity mist would withstand a few hours outdoors?

I never used it but I heard about it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-t-Fok6Cv0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I think it works.

Last edited:
You can try a bantu knot out. I tried it last year when I graduated and received a lot of compliments on this hairstyle.

If that's a bantu knot out in your avi then yea you got a lot of compliments! It looks amazing! IDK if my hair is long enough to pull it off quite yet.

I attached a pic of my hair from this morning (washed with leave-in obviously drying in it). I'd do a wash n go like this (but neater) but it shrinks really bad when in the heat and I'm still not sure it'll fit under the cap :lol:

24ec26o.jpg

PAgirl, I'm terrified of those Dominicans after a poster showed her disastrous results a few months ago. Plus my sister got really bad heat damage at one of their places when we still lived in NY

Fhrizzball, do you mean twisting it and putting rollers/ curlers on the ends? I'm really leaning towards some sort of twist/braid/bantu knot out. It's something I can do myself and I know will be cute for at least a few hours

Check the hairstyles thread for ideas. I did a partially braided mohawk that I turned into an updo for today. google braided/twisted updos, doesn't have to be braided completely, just sides an back, and leave the front/top loose or in twists.

Fhrizzball, do you mean twisting it and putting rollers/ curlers on the ends? I'm really leaning towards some sort of twist/braid/bantu knot out. It's something I can do myself and I know will be cute for at least a few hours

bibs

You can do it on loose, twisted, or braided hair. I do it on twists as it comes out neater and is more uniform. I use perm rods for mine and only roll spiral them part way. If you roll them up all the way you'll get a curly afro look. There's lots of yt tutorials on them and I just experimented. You can try it out before you commit by doing a test run on your whole head or part of it. When I pressed my hair a few days before graduation it didn't last at all so I had to transform them into mini twists. They were cute but not the look I was going for. Would love to see pics of whichever style you decide.

My mom said the same thing. I was transitioning at the time so I usually wore a curly fro. She really wanted me to be straight. Instead, I wore a curlformers set, which stretched it without having to use heat because it was also really humid and I didn't want to risk heat damage for a style that'd only last 2 minutes before fro'ing up. I think I used some type of pomade on the curls afterwards. There was a tiny bit of reversion, but it was great for me, especially considering I sweat in my scalp, and both my mom and I were happy.

Thanks Fhrizzball and davisbr88. I will definitely post pictures of the big day and results. I'll be in the BSS today getting what I need to practice cuz I'm sure I'll need it :lol:
Glad to see someone else's mom is just as demanding as mine, lol

1. congrats on your graduation!
2. You have the cutest little smile..it's very inviting
3. Do a braidout..but make sure you do it overnight..and get a cute little headband..not one of those hard ones..something that will comfy under your cap!

Enjoy your day..!

1. congrats on your graduation!
2. You have the cutest little smile..it's very inviting
3. Do a braidout..but make sure you do it overnight..and get a cute little headband..not one of those hard ones..something that will comfy under your cap!

Enjoy your day..!

:blush3: Thank you! I will and will surely post pics

Lol I wish! Overbearing mama's always got to have her way! :spinning:

I was thinking about a half wig for a split second but I'd still have to do something with the front, right?
Not necessarily, you could do the half wig with a head band. I was watching this girl's video and I couldn't help but think that her style would have been cuter with a pretty headband in the front instead of her hair.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who chimed in and update. I ended up straightening the week before. Had an awards ceremony and decided to give it a try since so many natural ladies on here straighten occasionally and come out ok. It ended up being a good thing because I haven't trimmed since my BC in September and needed one badly! I'm washing it out today after 13 LONG days. My hair misses cowashing :lol:

acrbex.jpg

Back