How To Tell Hair For Crochet Install Versus Sew-in Weave???

Greetings, all.

I believe in a month or so I'm going to go ahead and get crochet braids again.

Last time I purchased my hair in person from a beauty supply store. This time around I'd like to purchase higher quality hair to see if I can find some that doesn't tangle. Accordingly, this time I am thinking about ordering the hair online, from a site such as this one: http://halliescurls.com.
  1. Can any of you recommend wavy, high quality hair that does not tangle too much?
  2. How can I tell which ONLINE hair to buy that would work for a crochet install and which hair to AVOID (because it's for sew-in's, for instance, and not for crochet installs)? How are the two different types different?
  3. At the link above, the word "weft" is used to describe some of the hair. What does that mean? Is that the type of hair I want?
Here's the look I'm going for:
https://theblossomingnaturalhairnewbie.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/wp_002322-1.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

Extensions Plus hair gets great reviews; however, I'd never use it for crochet braids since I'm not proficient enough to remove it without having to cut the hair out. It would be a huge waste of money to me to use Extensions Plus and cut it out after 4 - 8 weeks in crochet braids. Some people are great at removing crochet braids and reusing the hair.

You can use bulk hair or wefted hair aka tracks for a crochet style but you will need to cut the hair off the tracks/wefts.

The hair in the photo looks like Freetress Brazilian Braid bulk hair
http://www.wigtypes.com/freetress_s...zXRAvGdJmC3awiZP-YvO8jNFVFX-4OiLDgaAjtw8P8HAQ

wp_002322-1.jpg

BRAZILIAN_BRAID_20_600-130717052826.jpg

I'm the girl in the first photo. I loved the look of that hair, but it tangled and shed. I believe it was Glance hair, if I recall.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a similar wave pattern in a brand that won't easily tangle. I'm willing to pay extra if need be. I guess once it's removal time, my stylist can cut it out and I'll reuse it shorter???

I'm the girl in the first photo. I loved the look of that hair, but it tangled and shed. I believe it was Glance hair, if I recall.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a similar wave pattern in a brand that won't easily tangle. I'm willing to pay extra if need be. I guess once it's removal time, my stylist can cut it out and I'll reuse it shorter???

Synthetic bulk braid hair is like $4 - $7 per pack so no need to save it to reuse unless you just want to.
I'd only try to save/reuse expensive bulk hair like Extensions Plus.

What are you using on the hair? It doesn't have a tight curl pattern so it shouldn't tangle like some of the curlier hair types.

A lot of people like Kima Brazilian Braid

Last edited:
Synthetic bulk braid hair is like $4 - $7 per pack so no need to save it to reuse unless you just want to.
I'd only try to save/reuse expensive bulk hair like Extensions Plus.

What are you using on the hair? It doesn't have a tight curl pattern so it shouldn't tangle like some of the curlier hair types.

A lot of people like Kima Brazilian Braid

@naturalmanenyc ,

Thank you.

I was told that since I was using SYNTHETIC hair, that I should not waste my "good" moisturizer on it. I was told to dilute some of this in a spray bottle: http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-Silk...+50pluL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

The hair started out moisturized and soft when first installed. I washed it twice during the 8 weeks I had it installed. The first wash dried it out some. The second wash had it very dry and rough to the touch. Spraying the hair with that activator did little for it. (I would pineapple it up at night and put it in a satin bonnet.)

I'm willing to try a more expensive brand of brazilian-style hair if it would keep longer. But maybe all I need to do is keeping using the Glance Model Model Brazilian hair I used at first and simply moisturize it differently, say with Moroccan oil or something?

Back