How to stop flat ironing??

tricie

Ok, so I went to my stylist today for my relaxer (14 week stretch; woo hoo! :yep:), and she told me my ends were not great, and that she needed to trim them. No secret there, they were getting raggedy, so (and I love her; she only trimmed less than a 1/4" and showed it to me), I got them trimmed.

The thing is, they were raggedy because I am very very bad with the flat iron! How can I stop flat iron and still wear my hair out for awhile?? Once it starts getting knappy again I have a few good protectives that I do (bantu knot twist outs, Hair Zing, cornrows), but what else can i do?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA

p.s. I am relaxed.

Macherieamour has a tutorial on the saran wrap method which can be used after a rollerset for that flat iron look.

http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/07/saran-wrap-trea.html

I tried the saran wrap method after airdrying my hair in a ponytail rollerset since I am rollerset challenged and it does give your hair a smooth finish.

Also Caruso steam rollers are a good alternative for styling without the heat damage.

I am on a personal challenge on reducing my flat iron usage as well so I hope to see more suggestions. HTH.

Yeah your best bet is to roller set/wrap a la Macherie. I was ADDICTED to my iron but I've decided for the summer to forgo flat ironing (I do it after a wash/DC 1-2x a week sometimes). My hair is fine as I always do it on low, but still I want to cut back. Only think I like straight looks. :-/

Another thing that works wonders for me is to co-wash/airdry and then set on Caruso rollers. My hair comes out super moisturized and surprisingly straight w/ a curl as though I had done a fresh roller set. When airdrying I put a scarf around my front edges and let the hair hang down in the back - apply my leave-in's already. It dries very soft. I alternate this in during the week when I don't feel like doing a traditional rollerset.

I haven't touched my iron in more than a week and that's a huge deal for me. I'm keeping up with this til the end of the summer as I'm doing a six month stretch.

Ditto on what the other ladies said. Rollersetting and wrapping will give you the smoothness you want, without the heat.

I used to use my flatiron every day, it took me forever to let it go, but it was the best thing for my hair. I didn't start retaining length until I let all direct heat go.

If I can beat flatiron addiction anyone can.

I thought that the only way I could have a cute style was to use heat...and lots of it. I have cut back alot on the flatirons and blowdryers. Matter of fact, I can't even remember the last time I flatironed my hair.

Your hair and ends will thank you. I haven't had a trim in about 4 months and before I could never go that long without a trim. Now my ends are so thick and I know that has alot to do with not using the heaters.

Now, as far as style. You can do rollerwraps, flexisets, or even curlformers will give you a beautiful curl without all that heat. I've never done the saran wrap so I can't personally speak on that BUT I HAVE stalked Marcheriamour on Youtube. She gives very sound, practical advice as do the other ladies as well.

You can beat this flatiron addiction!

To add, if you MUST have the super straight roots only flat iron that part and do it on a moderate setting. Give your ends a rest.

Thanks for the responses, ladies! You rock! :grin:

I think I will go back to rollersetting and wrapping; I will still have to do something different after a few weeks when I start to get real knappy; it doesn't wrap well and I don't get that natural bend. :ohwell:

Thanks so much for helping me beat my flat iron addiction! :yep: I know it can be done!

Back