HOW TO MAKE A LACE FRONT LOOK MORE REALISTIC.

Drtondalia

Hi Ladies of LHCF!! :wave: :circle:

I have been PSing since January 1st 2011 with half wig La'Omara. I get a new one every two to three weeks.

I have recently purchased a few lace fronts but in don't feel they look as natural on me as the half wig I've been wearing. I looked far and wide for the Sensationell Lauren LF. I saw so many videos about her on youtube.

I really wanna switch up and wear her but she looks so not like it could be my own hair. I've been putting her on every night to try and get used to the curls and length and maybe take away some of that new wig shine.

What can I do to make her appear more natural and less boxy around the edges? Also is the lace supposed to be so hard??

Thanks for any help you can give me. :feedback:

Hi Drtondalia,

I felt the same way (preferring regular wigs to lace fronts) and just broke down a few months ago and buy a full lace wig. For the price of a "few" lace fronts, you can buy a full lace wig online. There is even a method (search You Tube for "no glue" or elastic lace lace wig method) of attaching without glue and tape -- my biggest reservation.

Good luck, Curli

I've watched a lot of YT videos where people try to make a l/f look real and I'm sorry I don't believe there is anyway, you can make it look real up close. If Beyonce & Jennifer Hudson cant get it right, with all their access to stylists, I don't see how a bunch of people on youtube can fool anyone up close.

This is not to knock Martina ( I like her and her videos) but I noticed she didn't take a photo upclose and even after application, when she came right up to the camera, you could see the line of the lace.

I think the best thing to do with LF wigs is to pull out a bit of your own hair to cover the hairline of the actual wig. I don't know how else to explain it but maybe one day I'll make a YT video demonstrating what I mean.

go to BHM's lacefront section for newbies tons of tips and methods there.

If you get a wig that is the same texture as your hair you can wear it slightly behind your hairline.

So glad OP asked this question. I have had to cut my LFs' lace to the very point of the knots because I'm so scared the lace will show too much...and my hair texture and color don't match my wigs for ANY leave out hair to be used. Thanks to everyone who posted links and info b/c I need to learn more about these techniques---I love me some LFs and will get a complete lace wig at some point (a full lace wig is one that only has lace in front and back, but wefted hair in the middle (regular looking wig in the middle)--a whole/complete lace wig is one that has an entire lace cap, where hair can be parted anywhere).

ETA: I don't use tape or glue either...I just position my LF/FLW and pin the sides and nape with bobby pins or clips then conceal with hair. Oh and like other posters said, the BSS wigs' lace is hard and stiff--haven't met one that wasn't. But, for my budget I adore the BSS lace wigs (especially the FreeTress Equal Lace Front wigs). BHM is a good site--not as advanced as LHCF but I was a member there years ago. Going back over there to take some notes myself.

Last edited:
I go back in forth OP, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I prefer my half wigs, but lately I really like the BSS lace fronts.

To make her appear less boxy around the edges, you need to pull out some of your own hairline, and it doesn't have to be a lot either. You don't want to be walking around looking like a lace front shawty, lol.

Other tips: If your a part wearer- part your own hair and line the part of the wig up with your part, that way you can get a longer more natural looking part.

Also, a little foundation that matches your scalp, on the wig part, gives a really nice appearance.

My favorite Youtubers that can really work a LF are:

Muffinismylovers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPBUbiYqqzM

Calidiva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haPUoLqekJk&feature=related

Ms Kibibi (she is a member here)
http://www.youtube.com/user/mskibibi#p/u/0/3AwHbk3_4IM
This wig is Flawless, btw.

As far as the the lace on the BSS, wigs- yup it's hard. To get softer lace you want a Lace Front that is made of swiss or french lace. Those usually can be bought from Chinese Vendors or even on ebay.

Like suggested earlier, if you are not a member of Blackhairmedia you might want to sign up- it's free- and lurk. You will learn so much over there.

I've watched a lot of YT videos where people try to make a l/f look real and I'm sorry I don't believe there is anyway, you can make it look real up close. If Beyonce & Jennifer Hudson cant get it right, with all their access to stylists, I don't see how a bunch of people on youtube can fool anyone up close.

This is not to knock Martina ( I like her and her videos) but I noticed she didn't take a photo upclose and even after application, when she came right up to the camera, you could see the line of the lace.

I think the best thing to do with LF wigs is to pull out a bit of your own hair to cover the hairline of the actual wig. I don't know how else to explain it but maybe one day I'll make a YT video demonstrating what I mean.

Muffinismylover AKA April does it all the time on youtube. :)

I just get LW in my own color and pull some hair out because my hairline is low and I have a peak so ummm yeah. Lol mines comes out looking natural as well, I do tweez to thin the hairline out if need be tho.

I attached a close-up pic pic of me wearing a lacefront and it looks pretty realistic to me. Like others suggested, I leave my baby hair out in the front and start it behind my hairline. I have it pulled back in the pic (at work) but it looks much better when I leave it down.

However, if the wig doesn't match your natural color, I don't have many suggestions. I love the one Wendy Williams is wearing but obviously she has hers custom made. I would think you would have to find something similar to that or either dye/shave your hairline...:ohwell:

Attachments

• 1298037814wendy_lovely_winter.jpg
    1298037814wendy_lovely_winter.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Back