How to combat the drying effects of no lye relaxers

MDinLA

In a previous post, because of some thinning issues, I have been convinced to switch relaxers. I have done some research and it seems that many people love Phytorelaxer, but the most common issue with that and other no lye relaxers is that they are drying. I have done a search on no lye and Phyto relaxers, and one thing that I have not seen discussed, at least recently... is since there are many women who have had success with no lye (especially phyto as I may try this brand) what do you do to combat the dryness? TIA

The drying effect usually comes from the mineral deposit that no lye relaxers leave behind. To rid the hair of those deposits you have to use chelating shampoo. Many neutralizing shampoo's have chelating agents for this reason.

The drying effect usually comes from the mineral deposit that no lye relaxers leave behind. To rid the hair of those deposits you have to use chelating shampoo. Many neutralizing shampoo's have chelating agents for this reason.

Does chelating= clarifying?

Does chelating= clarifying?

Chelating removes mineral deposits, medications for the hair....clarifying just removes product buildup.

Many clarifying shampoo's do chelate but it will say so on the label. Joico and Kenra both make clarifying shampoos that chelate as well.

Chelating removes mineral deposits, medications for the hair....clarifying just removes product buildup.

Many clarifying shampoo's do chelate but it will say so on the label. Joico and Kenra both make clarifying shampoos that chelate as well.

Hi Gym!

Wow - this is fascinating...

Is Chelating important in a natural head of hair?

I have not taken any meds, but I am just wondering.
I use baking soda for my clarifing.

TIA!

I never had a problem with Phyto but I plan on Chelating and using a steamer once a week for the next 3 - 4 weeks to combat dryness of hair and scalp.

Hi Gym!

Wow - this is fascinating...

Is Chelating important in a natural head of hair?

I have not taken any meds, but I am just wondering.
I use baking soda for my clarifing.

TIA!

Whats up Samanthajones......If you have hard water then yes it could be benefical. Otherwise I don't know. I do know that some ladies here resort to chelating when it seems like their hair isn't responding to anything. Sometimes I can clarify and my hair will still be like yuck but chelating gets it back in order.

Man... I was trying to avoid buying more products. But maybe I can find a cheap chelating shampoo. Either way, I'm running out of space in my house! :grin:

Whats up Samanthajones......If you have hard water then yes it could be benefical. Otherwise I don't know. I do know that some ladies here resort to chelating when it seems like their hair isn't responding to anything. Sometimes I can clarify and my hair will still be like yuck but chelating gets it back in order.

PS. Do you use this chelator after relaxing or do u wait till the next wash?

I chelate once a month. Just like people clarify once a month.

If you don't have a chelating neutralizing poo, then buy a chelating poo and use it after neutralizing OR buy a neutralizing chelating poo.

That's all.

It's not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be imo.

I chelate once a month. Just like people clarify once a month.

If you don't have a chelating neutralizing poo, then buy a chelating poo and use it after neutralizing OR buy a neutralizing chelating poo.

That's all.

It's not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be imo.

What kind of perm do you use Neith?

I'm using Phyto and I'm not having ANY of the drying issues I had previously with other relaxers. I'm doing CWs, baggying my ends, doing MT and either bunning or wearing wash and gos. My hair is in better condition than it ever has been. :yep:

Yeah,
I think I might try Phyto as it seems to not have as much of the drying effects of other no lye relaxers. And I will definitely continue to CW and moisturize my hair to combat that. Seems simple enough. I'll see what happens when I try my first Phyto relaxer.

Any other suggestions.

Back