How to Acheive Thick Hair !! HELP!! HELP!!

CHANNYY

Hey Ladies,

I started my hair journey about a year ago!! I have managed to go from shoulder length to just shy of APL!! I think I have mastered what it takes to maintain length. I think:perplexed

The thing is how do I acheive thickness. If I put my hair in a ponytail it looks thin.I want a nice full ponytail. I might add that I am relaxed so I'm hoping I can acheive this without having to go to natural!! I only relaxed every 12-14 weeks. Should I stretch longer? I try and limit combing everyday but thats challenge for me. My protective style is bunning but I take down each night and rebun in the morning. This cause me to have to comb and brush my hair. What are the best products and what are some regime you followed that have help you maintain thickness. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I willing to spend the next year mastering how to achieve thickness.:lol:

Castor oil is great for thickness- I've been using it neat on my scalp and my new growth comes in like a forest. I've also read that mixing it with another oil to thin it out makes it suitable for sealing. The one time I used cassia it definitely thickened up my hair considerably, so that's another option- I used cassia auriculata as opposed to obovata cos it was cheaper and it definitely worked.

Tea rinses and aryuvedics help as well. Check out the tea thread its a good read and DarkJoy just posted that it has thickened up her hair.
Im relaxed and I too have found my hair to be thicker after about 2+ months of tea rinses...

Pardon my ignorance but Ive never quite understood what EXACTLY ladies mean when they say they want to achieve thickness.

is it that you want to thicken each strand or you want to increase density of hair (more hairs per square inch of scalp or fill in) ... or maybe both ?

As Satchmo suggested, castor oil does help to thicken (fill in) hair. also sulphur infused products such as (bee mine, liquid gold, hair trigger etc)

Ive never quite understood how products thicken strands that are already out of the scalp, but maybe if you are deficient in some vit or mineral, supplements can help you to grown stronger (thicker strands) hairs.

SimJam I don't quite understand either...but I do know that it's happening to my hair (secretly I don't really fancy it - it requires more work).
In my humble opinion....I think it's a matter of stimulating all follicles on your head and thus having all the possible strands that you can. BUT something is done to the hair itself because when I use amla powder my hair seems to swell right there in the shower....

WOW SimJam it's making more sense regarding the Amla...which is very acidic ... so the increased PH level (which as they say could be harmful) is why your hair feels so much thicker! I'm going to have to think of what I could use to take the ph to the other end:yep:

Nix08 you could do an aloevera juice rinse after using amla to reduce the pH of your hair. or you could mix the amla (if its powder) with aloevera juice :yep:

WOW @SimJam it's making more sense regarding the Amla...which is very acidic ... so the increased PH level (which as they say could be harmful) is why your hair feels so much thicker! I'm going to have to think of what I could use to take the ph to the other end:yep:

@Nix08 you could do an aloevera juice rinse after using amla to reduce the pH of your hair. or you could mix the amla (if its powder) with aloevera juice :yep:

@SimJam, if Amla being VERY ACIDIC as @Nix08 says it is = harmful, then reducing its pH would be making it MORE ACIDIC which would deem it MORE HARMFUL, no?

BTW, @Nix08, I don't think the pH Beauty Brains are talmbout is the acidic pH that would make hair swell. Acidic pH would make hair cuticle lie down flat making the strands smooth. I would think an alkaline pH is what would make strands appear to swell as the cuticle would lift making the strands look swollen (the way an angry chicken or cat swells up). In that case then @SimJam's suggestion would make sense, but then it'd just cancel out the swelling up, by making cuticles close and strands look skinny again.

CHANNYY, I don't know if there's a way to make strands thicker short of keeping splits at bay. If you have fine strands, and don't have dense hair naturally, then your ponytail will be skinny. Making it wavy (braid-out or twist-out) may help give the illusion of fullness. People with a lot of hair that is made of coarse strands will have a thicker ponytail.

I suppose as others have said, coating your hair with some products can make strands appear thicker. There's also word that vitamin B5 (panthenol) does actually thickens strands which is why it's in a lot of products. (Link). When I first heard about B5, I understood it was more internal than external, but I may have been wrong about that. Anyway, taking a B complex won't hurt, so why not?

@SimJam, if Amla being VERY ACIDIC as @Nix08 says it is = harmful, then reducing its pH would be making it MORE ACIDIC which would deem it MORE HARMFUL, no?

BTW, @Nix08, I don't think the pH Beauty Brains are talmbout is the acidic pH that would make hair swell. Acidic pH would make hair cuticle lie down flat making the strands smooth. I would think an alkaline pH is what would make strands appear to swell as the cuticle would lift making the strands look swollen (the way an angry chicken or cat swells up). In that case then @SimJam's suggestion would make sense, but then it'd just cancel out the swelling up, by making cuticles close and strands look skinny again.

true, I meant to add the avj to bring the pH closer to neutral.

true, I meant to add the avj to raise the pH bringing to closer to neutral.

@SimJam, but I thought aloe vera was acidic meaning it has a low pH, no? So it would not really raise the pH of something to neutral.

For your suggestion to work, we'd have to have used something alkaline (pH higher than 7) before the aloe vera so that the avj would to lower the pH bringing it closer to neutral.

So the point I was making is if it is true amla is very acidic, then AVJ would not really be the ideal product to use.

i think that achieving thicker strands is done from the inside out. i've been taking Kal Super Silica Plus, biotin and B5 for years to help achieve this. it's not an overnight process. it is the new strands where i noticed a difference.

Back