How the heck do u guys trim ur own ends?

KinksnCurlz

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now. I can barely touch my back without that back loufah with the long handle
laugh.gif
How do u guys do it? And do u ever muck it up by cutting off 2 much? And does it come out even? Help a sista out
grin.gif

Lastly, what made u decide on doing it urself as opposed to getting someone (trusted friend/family member) to do it for you? Shoot, im thisclose to asking my SO
laugh.gif

With my hair the way it is now, I find it's easiest to put my hair in twists and clip the ends that need to be trimmed. With this method, you really can't go wrong by cutting off too much because you can clearly see what needs to go.

I've had my mother and husband trim my hair before too, it's just a matter of availability and what mood I'm in!
antlers.gif

But with relaxed hair that method can leave you with really choppy hair - so be careful....

What I do is I wash and rollerset and warp until my hair is straight (it's best to do pretty close to a perm too). Once it's straight, I take it down and comb it all down evenly around my head. Then I part it down the middle in the back (from crown to nape) and bring each side over each shoulder. Take all the hair on one side, pull it between two fingers and snip - right there in front of your shoulder. Do it to the other side and then comb it back to check the shape. The upside? You get an automatic V cutting this way because you aren't truly cutting the hair "even". You automatically end up taking gradually less hair off from the front going towards the back.

It works well for me in a pinch. Every once in a while I still need a profesional trim (for that crispy look we know and love) but this does the trick when I need it to and it gives a decent shape and doesn't look "homemade"...
grin.gif

Start with a 1/2 inch on each side and work your way up so you don't take off too much.
smile.gif

I learned to trim myself after a few bad stylists and decided I wanted to wait to find a really good one before I got another trim. I found one, but I just used this method again a few days ago because these stylists out here are COUNTRY and I don't trust them.....

Virtually NO ONE's hair that is past earlength looks good here. NO ONE. And until I see one, no one touches my hair with scissors....

So self trimming it is!
smirk.gif

I do it in sections, run my fingers through and then out to the ends and hit all the strays or however far along I plan to cut. If I were seeking true even-ness, I would absolutely give the mister the scissors, b/c no matter how well you angle the mirrors, your movement is going to alter the way your hair lies, thereby making it uneven.

If I can't reach I hand the scissors over, but I'm nervous when the scissors are in ANYONE elses hands.
ohwell.gif

Thanks guys. I might just b better off triming my own darn ends. And if all else fails, I'll always have my SO and that nutjob we all know as TripleP.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Shoot, im thisclose to asking my SO
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I do, and he's very good at it. He's a huge supporter of my long hair, so if anything, I have to worry about him not cutting enough. Plus, a lot of men can cut their own hair too
smile.gif

When I want a slight trim or dusting, I trim as I am flat-ironing. When I flat iron my hair, I part in four sections (as if I am relaxing it) and flat iron in small sections. So, I part each small section, flat iron it, then snip a little of the ends. It comes out nice and even that way.

For the back sections, when I pull each section over my shoulders, the ends will have a slight diagonal slant to them. So, I snip the hair according to that line --diagonally. However, when I let the hair fall, it is cut straight and evenly.

For my latest, big 4-inch chop, I parted my hair down the middle from forehead to nape, pulled each side over my shoulder and just made two big cuts -- one each side. That resulted in a slight "V" shape, which was nice, but not what I wanted, so I looked at my hair with two mirrors and cleaned up the ends in the middle so that they ended up blunt. I took a little bit off at a time until they were perfect.
smile.gif

I don't trust hairstylists to cut my hair unless I really want something fancy done that I can't do myself. And I can't think of anyone else I know that I could trust to do it well.

I kinda do mine like on the link posted, only in four sections, pulling the two front sections to my shoulder and trimming, then pulling them to the front and trimming. the back ones , i hold them to the back and run my fingers down till i get to the ends , then hold it in place while i pull it forward then trim them. dang , i guess its hard to explain

good info. thanks.
anytime! I've been wanting to trim my own hair forever b/c the "pros" always wanna do it while my hair is wet and they take off too much length which makes me angry. Then I get home and SO is like, "I thought you were getting a trim; it looks like you got a haircut..." and he goes on and and on b/c he likes my hair long and freaks out when I say I'm gonna cut/trim it:nuts::grin:

anytime! I've been wanting to trim my own hair forever b/c the "pros" always wanna do it while my hair is wet and they take off too much length which makes me angry. Then I get home and SO is like, "I thought you were getting a trim; it looks like you got a haircut..." and he goes on and and on b/c he likes my hair long and freaks out when I say I'm gonna cut/trim it:nuts::grin:

:yep: :yep:

With my hair the way it is now, I find it's easiest to put my hair in twists and clip the ends that need to be trimmed. With this method, you really can't go wrong by cutting off too much because you can clearly see what needs to go.

This is exactly how i do it.

I'll be watching too. I'm obsessed with how to trim. I want to have a go to technique but so far I've got nothing even though I've tried so many ways. Parting in 4 sections and snipping from each, twisting and snipping the ends, parting down the middle and just snipping both sides (my hair isn't long enough for this last method)

Back