How the Blowdryer Saved my Hair...

Hello Ladies,

This is my first post on this board. I've lurked on here for about a year and previously I was an active member on naturallycurly.com for about 2 years. Anywho I just had an experience that made me want to start getting active on this board. I've been natural since March 2009. Now my hair sits at approximately APL stretched. Like a recent posting on CurlyNikki's blog. I had always dreamed about getting longer and longer hair after the big chop, but once my hair reached APL in September it's been a NIGHTMARE! The detangling sessions have been awful! Not only did they take FOREVER sometimes almost 2 hrs, but I would hear the occasional snap, crackle and pop as I tried to separate my tresses. I told my hubby that I couldn't take anymore of this, and was seriously considering abandoning a long hair journey, to chop off a major portion of my hair for relief.

Then I got my senses together and thought of all that I learned on LHCF and watched a longhairdontcare on youtube's videos. I also looked up some old pinkskates info. Throughout the time I've been natural I've avoided heat styling like the plague because I was afraid of permanently damaging my curls. Watching longhair's youtube vids and staring at my hair in desperation. I decided to do something different.

I protein treated my hair with Aphogee 2 min re-constructor. I deep conditioned it with Shea Moisture's DT. Then I saturated my hair with Aussie Moist and proceeded to detangle. I had someone trim about 1/2 an inch off the back of my hair. Then I followed that up with tension blowdrying my hair section by section. I wore my fluffy big blowdried hair back in a bun for 2 weeks. I repeated the process again 2 weeks later.

Then yesterday I decided it was time for a wash. I co-washed with Aussie Moist and LEMME TELL YOU IT TOOK ONLY 30 MINUTES TO DE-TANGLE MY ENTIRE HEAD OF HAIR!!!!! I was soo excited!!!!!! My hair did still shrink up significantly, but it had a lil more swang to it.

This experience made me realize that a lil heat can do a lot of good. Also I feel comfortable using the heat to slightly "train" my hair, because this time in my life I'm not doing it for society I'm doing it because the knots and detangling were not compatible with my goals or time schedule.

So from now on. I will be 1x-2x a month tension blowdrying my hair on low to medium heat utilizing strictly the tension method using my FHI Heat Nano Salon Pro 2000 blowdryer.

I'm so excited now I can continue to grow my hair long without practically crying on wash day!!! And I can keep curls on my head in the process.:grin:

I plan on slowly heat training (1-2x a month blowdry) starting in the Spring

no more "like" button, but I appreciated this story and am happy for you!!! I'm so glad you didn't abandon your natural hair journey and found an alternative that works for you!

Good on you for finding what works for you. I have also starting to use a lot more heat on my hair this winter. Like you I blow dry weekly after most washes and put my hair up except when I am going out I wear wash n gos. I also flatiron once a month or every other month. So far have cut my single strand knots by like 90% and I haven't notice any more splits than usual. And I am soooo happy.

Definitely interested in keeping an eye on the retention of other naturals who do this too.

I'm glad you stuck it our and found something that works as well. I'm sure with your hair being APL that you know exactly what's best for it. But you know you ain't right for not posting pics!!! :spank:

Pics...we wannna see.

I am also moving to a mild heat regimen for the winter. Now that the humidity is out of the air. I can wear a straight style for up to 2 weeks without super frizz jumping on my head.

I've started using a little more heat on my hair and also my DD's hair. I love my natural texture, but the detangling sessions once I get past APL can be so exhausting and my poor arms just can't do that anymore.

I've noticed with my DD since I've been using mild heat on her hair that her detangling sessions have been cut in half--last week after straightening my own hair a few weeks before, after washing my detangling session was a breeze.

Back