How often do you wash

Just curious, someone told me that its not good for black women to wash their hair too often.How often do you wash your hair and how does your hair tolerate it, include hair type please? :)

...I think it depends whether your relaxed or natural. I know some natural ladies who can wash or co/wash hair every 3 days or so.

I personally wash only 1x a week. I'm relaxed 4ab; when i'm really far into a stretch i'll throw a co-wash in the middle of the week.

I'm 4b, texlaxed, and I wash once/week. My hair is heathier and retain more length since I've been washing more frequently.

ETA: When washing, I use shampoo about once/month. For the other weeks, I do a co-wash.:yep:

Last edited:
I wash 1 to 2 times a week and Im 4a/4b texlaxed. A lot of it depends on the type of shampoo one is using. You should try not to use harsh shampoos containing sulfates which strip the hair, especially if you are going to wash often. And u should deep condition often to counteract any dryness that might come from shampooing. Also, u should limit the use of direct heat as much as possible....so if u need to use direct heat every time u wash, then less often is probably better for you.

I was conditioner washing (using conditioner in place of shampoo) several times a week this past spring and summer and my hair grew like a weed.

I wash twice a week, and co-wash twice a week . I'm in a challenge right now, so thats why I'm doing it so often, but my hair is loving it! I do keep it well moisturized daily and I think that's the most important thing. However, my hair is always shiny, always smells good and my scalp doesnt itch anymore. All pros no cons! :happydance:

Depends on the time of year or the hairstyles I am wearing

Fall and Winter - once or twice a week I wear buns or braid outs
Spring - twice a week I wear twist outs
Summer- 3 times a week I wear wash n gos

Usually I wash once a week and co-wash once a week, although for the last few days I've been doing daily co-washes just to see how my hair responds and it LOVES it. It has never felt so soft, manageable, and clean! :wow:

3c/4a relaxed (transitioning!!!)
I cowash pretty much every day but wash w/ shampoo maybe once a week or every 10 days...

4A, ONCE A WEEK, ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS WHEN I'M BEING LAZY. I'VE BEEN TRAINED TO BELIEVE THAT BLACK PEOPLE SHOULDN'T WASH THEIR HAIR TOO OFTEN OR IT'LL DRY OUT, ALTHOUGH I FOUND OUT FROM THIS SITE THAT THATS A MYTH.

3b/c natural, CO wash daily and shampoo once a week. My hair prefers this to infrequent washing, less prone to dryness and tangling.

Just curious, someone told me that its not good for black women to wash their hair too often. How often do you wash your hair and how does your hair tolerate it, include hair type please? :)
That's an old wives' tale. However, if you press your hair you probably wouldn't want to wash and press more than every 7-14 days becausing pressing is too much heat to use more often. That might actually be how that convention originated.

Anyway, to answer your question, my washing habits are seasonal.
  • Summer: several times a week and sometimes everyday
  • Fall & Spring: once a week
  • Winter: every two weeks
My hair is natural, type 3 or thereabouts.

I wash my hair once a week in the summer, and every 3 to 4 days in the winter. My hair dries out alot in the winter.

I'm 4a permed, wash 2x a week. Co wash with oil on Wednesdays and shampoo on Sundays.

I wash my hair once a week in the summer, and every 3 to 4 days in the winter. My hair dries out alot in the winter.

So you wash your hair more because it dries out? Or are you saying that washing it more is what dries it out?

I'm assuming you meant the former, but I hear so many people say they wash it less in the winter otherwise it will dry out, so I'm just asking for clarification.

I wash my hair 1x per week, all year round. I've been doing this for the past 1.5 years and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY. Prior to then, I would wash every 2, 3, 4 weeks. It depended on my mood and what style I had. My hair suffered when I did that.

Oh and I think I'm type 4a/b.

ETA: Oh and I'm relaxed.

Last edited:
3C relaxed I wash once a week
If I do wash n go's then I'll still shampoo once a week but I'll co-wash every other day or every 2 days

I co-wash every other day; shampoo once every 7-10 days. My hair prefers this to infrequent washings (my new growth is like butter this way).

Oh ... my hair type is 3c/4a transitioning from relaxed to natural.

Co-wash around 3 times a week in summer, shampoo every 2 weeks in winter......sometimes weekly, it just depends. I shampoo in-frequently because I like to keep manipulation low. I get the most breakage and shedding when I shampoo so that's why I go at least a week to 2 weeks without washing.

Back