Votes: 40 24.0%
  • Once or twice a year

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • Never

Votes: 65 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mdmommy99

Is there anyone here who goes to the salon on a regular basis? I have tried to stay away from the salon because I know they use a lot of practices that aren't good for my HHJ, but I am a horrible stylist and I'm tired of my hair looking a mess all the time.

My hair is natural and before I joined LHCF I would go maybe once a month to the Dominican salons to get a blowout which I know was not good and maybe 1x a month for a natural style. I never experienced any breakage, but wasn't retaining as much length as I would like. I would like to look nice though and even with all my yt tutorial watching styling just isnt' one of my talents.

I have seen so many horror stories on here about scissor happy stylists etc. I just want to know if there is anyone that goes to a salon regularly and has been able to retain a lot of length.

When I was younger I was going once a week. My hair broke off soooo much so I stopped. Now if I do go, It's usually once a year if even that...

Great thread, OP.

I do not, have not, and WILL NEVER trust a stylist when it comes to cutting my hair. The only time I go to the salon is for my highlights. But they better not bring any type of scissors toward MY head. :boxing:

I hate being at the mercy of other people when it comes to my hair. No one will ever take as good care of your hair... or keep your best interest in mind... than you.

HHJ!!

I do not, have not, and WILL NEVER trust a stylist when it comes to cutting my hair. The only time I go to the salon is for my highlights. But they better not bring any type of scissors toward MY head. :boxing:

I never even thought about it before but being on here has me terrified of scissors. Looking at your pic your ends look good and you do well with scissors. I tried to trim my hair last week and ended up with an uneven HAM! I really would like a professional trim, but I definitely don't have a stylist that I would trust with it.

I voted 6-11 times per year. I need a trim twice a year, and besides that, I love getting my twists and braids professionally done. They look horrible when I do them myself.

bi weekly (every 2 weeks) to get my twists/cornrows done.

I wash detangle and prep my hair before though.

Never.

I MIGHT go and get a professional trim every few years. I prolly won't have to now, now that I know how to take care of my hair I won't be needing a professional trim/cut ever again. :grin:

I dont go reg, i only go on special occassions or when i need a trim because my ends look bad... which i would say all together is about 3 times a month thus far.

never ever. everything is done in my bathroom by me :)

I have watched your yt tutorial on straightening and know that you are really good at styling. I tried it on Wednesday and did such a bad job that I did not take any pics. I really feel like I am style impaired. Everything I do from twists, to buns, to straightening is highly unattractive. I dont know if I should keep trying on my own or just go back to the salon.

Prior to stretching my relaxers, I was going every two weeks. Once I started stretching, it was three times a year (every four months).

But, I'm transitioning and basically living as a DIYer, it'll either stay three times a year or go down. We shall see.

I go around once a year for a trim. I went this past week for the first time in 14 months, and she only trimmed half an inch of hair, so I was pleased :grin:. I do everything else myself :yep:.

I have watched your yt tutorial on straightening and know that you are really good at styling. I tried it on Wednesday and did such a bad job that I did not take any pics. I really feel like I am style impaired. Everything I do from twists, to buns, to straightening is highly unattractive. I dont know if I should keep trying on my own or just go back to the salon.

The YT video is awesome. I was looking at it earlier this week.

I'm sure you aren't doing as bad as you think. Its all about practice and not being afraid to get in there. Where do you think you run into problems? For me, if I don't detangle well then the end result is always unflattering. It doesn't matter if I do everything else right.

I do i just do not do good with doing my own hair and even though i know its just about washing and deep conditioning and keeping it moisturized, but ive tried it and still i end up with a setback. I think I have too many products at home and dont know what and when to use the products. And even when i do start using something im not consistent enough. Not saying everyone needs to go but in order for my hair to thrive and look its best i go every 2 weeks. I'm natural and i wear my hair straight. The salon I go to is one that is targeted toward natural hair and caring for it.

I haven't been in years. I don't know that I would ever go, except maybe to get a cut. It's been a self challenge for me to learn how to do all of my own styles. I still have a few that I'm working on, but getting where I want to be slowly and surely.

I go occasionally to get trims because I am NOT about to cut my hair myself. I don't mind styling and learning new styles from YouTube. I might up the number just a bit more because I just got color. Other than that, not really worth it.

Last time I went, my stylist had no clue how to style my hair.

The YT video is awesome. I was looking at it earlier this week.

Thanks!

I'm sure you aren't doing as bad as you think. Its all about practice and not being afraid to get in there. Where do you think you run into problems? For me, if I don't detangle well then the end result is always unflattering. It doesn't matter if I do everything else right.

I agree with Ambrosia, you probably aren't doing that bad. We are often most critical of ourself. For example, that same straightening video, I thought was not the best. I could of gotten my hair more straigther:perplexed. But I'm sure you'd look at it and say it was fine.

But also remember, it does take practice. It actually took me 4 years to figure out straigtening. Within those 4 years, I heat damaged my hair twice. I just grew out and cut off the last ends of damage earlier this year.

And all the other styles you see are because I've been natural since forever and I started doing my hair myself when I was 11. No help. Just me.

So practice, practice, practice.:grin:

I said three to five times:

I go for my color...which I do once a year...and for this 2010 year, I will go again to get my hair done for a wedding that I will be in...Honestly, I do not see any need to go again. I'm purchasing my own flat iron and I do not think that it will be necessary for me to go anymore...until I need my color again!

only for a trim...and that's when I need it... If I could get the hang of self trimming they wouldn't see me...

Few years back when my hair was short I would go every two weeks, since I learned how to take care of my own hair.. I haven't been back since...

I voted 6-11 times per year. I only go for relaxers every 6 weeks, so I guess that's 8 times per year.

I voted for 3-5 times a year, but I should've voted for 'as needed'. I've got a new stylist and he did a great job with my hair. He faced me to the mirror and showed me what he was going to cut. My hair is much healthier because of him. I go if I need a service that I can't do on my own.

Before I moved I used to go every week. I loved my stylist. My hair is short, and even though I had a lot of heat put on it, he took care of it. My hair flourished. Plus, it was cheap.

Now that I've moved I do my hair myself and just go to the barber to get my hair lined and shaved low on the sides. I cannot find anyone out here to do my hair well, and for the price they charge, I cannot just hop from person to person every week.

I really don't go anymore! I trim my own hair and I pretty much have everything I need to take good care of my hair at home. Heck, I even know more about hair maintenance than most of the hair stylists in my province (yup, I Live in Quebec, Canada) thanks to everyone on this forum. I can also do pretty nice up-does now so I prefer keeping my money in my pockets....

I have no problem going to a stylist - I will never trim my own hair and will let them do a retouch if I don't feel like going through the motions. Make no mistake, the person that does my hair knows how I roll!

Besides, every now and then I like to get my hair done by somebody else besides myself...

Back