How often do you perm your hair?

Grow_it_out

I was wondering what the average amount of time should be between relaxers. I have heard 6-8 weeks is good. Does anyone think 6 weeks is too early?

I relax every 12 weeks. Anything under 8 weeks is way too soon, IMO

since i started doing right by my hair:grin:, i've tried streching for 5 months and the least i've gone is 10 weeks, i think that i'm gonna stick with the 10-12 week timeline cuz i'm having good results with it

Wow. I am at the 6-week mark today and am ready to put a perm in. What do you do to stretch between perms?

I relax every 6 months now (2 times a year). My hair thanks me for it. I wash every day in between perms (Co-wash) and I wear it in a protective style.(bun or braid out)

I relax every 6 months now (2 times a year). My hair thanks me for it. I wash every day in between perms (Co-wash) and I wear it in a protective style.(bun or braid out)
I cannot imagine 6 months. OMG. What if you want to wear your hair down? I'm usually bunnin' it up too.

Wow. I am at the 6-week mark today and am ready to put a perm in. What do you do to stretch between perms?

I get weekly rollersets with my roots blown out...works like a charm.

ETA: I also use a dab of Elasta QP Mango Butter to tame my edges.

I applaud all of you ladies for your hair care regimes because they really seem to be working. I really don't have one. My hair grew the most (like 3-4 inches) when I was pregnant with my daughter. Now I'm having a son and it is not even the same texture. I've had like 1 1/2 to 2 in of growth. I don't go to the shop anymore because of the cost so I put in my own perms and every time I would go they cut off atleast an inch and call it a trim! I even have an aunt who is a stylist.

This year it's been about once every 4 months. When I receive my touch up next week I will be 17 weeks post. My goal for this year was to only relax 3 times. Next year hopefully I will only relax twice! :yep:

q 6 months. I'm in my 7th month now. I'm just too lazy to touch it up. I need to order me some Phyto by the end of this week.

I'm going to get in trouble for this.......faithfully every 4-5wks!:blush: I get about a 1/2 inch new growth every month! I try to stretch to 5wks its so hard. Please don't yell at me guys. :perplexed

I try to do at least 8 weeks. I tried a longer stretch and my hair started breaking like crazy. I get too much grow to wait too long.

This year I'm only relaxing it twice so every 6 months. Next year I might try just once a year.

Every 12 weeks. But I must say I use to do every 5-6 weeks at first the idea of waiting 12 weeks was like :nono: won't work for me. But, I REALLY wanted healthy long hair and understood I had to change my hair care habits, such as they were, cuz, ummm, obvioulsy wasn't working.

Anywho, I just rolled up my sleeves, developed a stiff jaw and --- took it one week at a time. For me, going from 6 to 12 weeks was just unthinkable, but going from 6 to 7 weeks, sure, I could do that :yep: and I did it in baby steps as follows:

1st stretch = waited 7 weeks and then relaxed

2nd strech = waited 8 weeks

3rd strecth = waited 10 weeks. Yep :yep: I skipped a class. LOL!

4th stretch = waited 12 weeks. Haven't looked back since!

Basically, eased into it and learned to care for newgrowth without too much stress. I had intended to stretch one extra week with each touchup until I hit 12 weeks, but by the time I got to 8 weeks, I was on a roll . . .

I've gone up to 16 weeks, but 12 has been just right for me without too much newgrowth drama.

Last edited:
I try to relax 3 times a year. So far I do good with that but want to make it only twice a year. Everyone has to listen to their hair as to when they should relax.

I don't wear my hair down a lot. I've blown my hair out before at around 12-14 weeks with no problems. Its all about technique.:yep: I can't rollerset to save my life though:lachen:

-A

I need advise on this one.

I can stretch no problem all except for the very front of my hair line. This area starts to break around week 5. The rest of my hair is fine.

I moisturise and then seal with coconut oil, i don't use gels and rarely comb or brush my hair.

I however 'have' to use a soft baby brush in this area otherwise i'll have a spikey hair line :perplexed. The front just doesn't look neat if i don't. I hate it.

I am tempted to just relax the very front of my hair and stretch the rest of it.

Has anyone else had this problem and how have you dealt with it?
Any suggestions?

Every 12 weeks. But I must say I use to do every 5-6 weeks at first the idea of waiting 12 weeks was like :nono: won't work for me. But, I REALLY wanted healthy long hair and understood I had to change my hair care habits, such as they were, cuz, ummm, obvioulsy wasn't working.

Anywho, I just rolled up my sleeves, developed a stiff jaw and --- took it one week at a time. For me, going from 6 to 12 weeks was just unthinkable, but going from 6 to 7 weeks, sure, I could do that :yep: and I did it in baby steps as follows:

1st stretch = waited 7 weeks and then relaxed

2nd strech = waited 8 weeks

3rd strecth = waited 10 weeks. Yep :yep: I skipped a class. LOL!

4th stretch = waited 12 weeks. Haven't looked back since!

Basically, eased into it and learned to care for newgrowth without too much stress. I had intended to stretch one extra week with each touchup until I hit 12 weeks, but by the time I got to 8 weeks, I was on a roll . . .

I've gone up to 16 weeks, but 12 has been just right for me without too much newgrowth drama.
This is good. Do you have some tips? I can't imagine going but so far (especially now that I'm sweating @ the gym 3x a week) without getting a sew in or something.

Back