How often do you perm your hair?

Hey Bublin, sounds like you've figure out the cause of the problem -- brushing that one area and it is the area that breaks.

I'm not sure how you solve it, except to find a different style so you can stop brushing there and see if the spot improve, but knowing the cause is 90% of solution in this case. . .

I need advise on this one.

I can stretch no problem all except for the very front of my hair line. This area starts to break around week 5. The rest of my hair is fine.

I moisturise and then seal with coconut oil, i don't use gels and rarely comb or brush my hair.

I however 'have' to use a soft baby brush in this area otherwise i'll have a spikey hair line :perplexed. The front just doesn't look neat if i don't. I hate it.

I am tempted to just relax the very front of my hair and stretch the rest of it.

Has anyone else had this problem and how have you dealt with it?
Any suggestions?

Have you tried tying your hair down with a scarf, after moisturizing and sealing? That works like a charm for me...causes my hairline to lie down nicely and neatly. I avoid brushes because they can lead to breakage, especially around the fragile hairline. I hope this helps, Bublin.

Last edited:
I usually relax my hair every two to three months depending on the season. During the summer months, I relax alot sooner because the humidity is so severe.

I did stretch my relaxer for 5 months before I relaxed this last time, but I can't do that again because I experienced alot of breakage, especially in the crown area. I don't know what I did wrong.:ohwell:

This is good. Do you have some tips? I can't imagine going but so far (especially now that I'm sweating @ the gym 3x a week) without getting a sew in or something.

• The most important I can offer is to do it a little bit at a time so you get comfortable with the level of new growth.

• Try to leave the NG alone and save detangle for wash days. THIS IS VERY CRITICAL FOR MY SUCCESS AT STRETCHING

• If you need to, stay at a certain week until you can manage NG without stress

• If it starts to stress you out, go ahead and relax

• My solution for stress was to simply wear updo during that last week to get me over the hump (updos help with leaving NG alone . . .)

Thanks Neroli and prosperr4

Why do i always do that - i have the answer to my own question in my own question:perplexed:look:. Soo foolish.

Ok - i need to put that brush down and tie my hair down instead. Its gonna be hard. Perhaps i'll use a pommade to smooth the edges as moisturisers are not doing it for me.

I think wearing my hair forward more often (like in my siggy) will prevent me from using the brush.

My first stretch was for 18 weeks but honestly that was too much. I now go for 12 weeks. I don't comb my hair ever unless I am in the shower. When my NG growth starts to get the better of me I oil rinse with Amla oil and that helps alot.
Go for as long as you're comfortable and what is acceptable for you. I used to relax every 7 weeks until I found LHCF.

Every 12 weeks (3 months) but this time around, I plan to add (atleast try) to add another 4 weeks (so 4 Months).

Back