How often do you henna?

NitaChantell

I know there are TONS of threads on henna, but I want to know what people are doing NOW! [as in 2010, not right now lol]
How often do you henna? What do you use in your mix? Thanks :)

I've only henna'd once, but I would like to start doing it more often. I read that some people do it weekly, while others do it every 6 months or so. Why have a setback when I can learn from other people's mistakes ?:drunk:

I'm hennaing as we speak. :grin:

I henna monthly for strength, thickening and color. I use karishma, purchased from ayurnatural beauty (black-owned business). In the past, I've mixed warm green tea, cheapie conditioner (v05). This time, I just added warm water, amla, and cheapie condish. I plan on getting a metal bowl for better dye release in the future. I allow it to sit about 8 hours (overnight) for dye release, apply it using gloves and let it sit for about 4 hours. I freeze the leftover henna.

Folks have been using henna for eons, so I don't think the year 2010 is particularly relevant. It's really about your desired outcome and what works best for you - try different mixes and methods and see what works. If you do an advanced search for post by the user "jamaraa" which contain the keyword "henna", you'll come up with a wealth of information. There's a thread on karishma henna around here somewhere. The natural haven blog also did a good post on the cumulative effect of henna.

I Henna/Indigo about every 4-6 weeks basically to cover grey-hair.:look:

I do the 2 step process. Less Henna/More Indigo. I mix Henna with Apple Cider Vinegar into a yogurt-like consistency allowing it to sit for about 8-12 hours (overnight).

I apply to freshly co-washed hair, wrap in Saran Wrap and allow it to sit for a coupla' hours.

I rinse out with either V05 Moisture Milks or Suave Tropical Coconut. Then I mix Indigo with Hot Water and a Little Salt. :yep:

Apply to freshly henna stained hair, wrap in Saran Wrap and let sit a coupla' hours. Rinse again with V05, Suave etc.....:yep:

Lastly, I DC usually under Steamer with a Moisturizing DC'er and then proceed to dry and Style.:yep:

Comes Out Perfect Every Single Time!:grin:

I use henna every two weeks (one of the two weeks I add Katam/Indigo to dye the grays).

Wash hair. Afterwards apply coconut oil to my scalp and hair; French braid hair and let it air dry. (I use Vatika frosting from Hairveda.com). I am natural (4Z) and French braid it so that I don't have tangles while applying the henna. My hair is about 4" long.

Henna mix (this is for strength and color; I don't let it sit for 8 hrs when I just want strength):
100g Karishma henna, nettle tea and 1 whole lemon. Mix and let sit for about 8 hrs.
Mix Katam/1 tbsp indigo with sea salt and water. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Mix this solution with 1/2 of the Karishma mix. Freeze the remainder Karishma mix. Apply henna mix and steam for 1.5 hours (I love that I don't have to have it on my hair for 4 to 6 hrs like I used to). BTW my Karishma contains BAQ henna, amla, shikakai, aritha and bhringraj.

Rinse henna out. Co-wash with Ojon conditioner or a cheapie conditioner. I have a lot of Ojon (bought 3-33 oz. bottles some time ago; didn't like it and am trying to use it up by cowashing w/it after I henna).

Afterwards, DC (Usually Hairveda's Sitrinillah, Shescentit.com's Banana Brulee or Bee Mine Products BEE•U•Ti•FUL Moisturizing Deep Cond) with JBCO and Moringa oil added to the DC. Steam for 30 minutes. Rinse DC out. Hair is moisturized.

Apply leave-in (Komaza's Califa Moisturizing spray, KBB Hair Milk, Christine Gant's Sweet Milk detangling leave in or Afroveda's Coconut hair milk), Afroveda's PUR whipped jelly and a hair butter. French braid my hair. Let air dry. Hair is like butta'!

I also use Jamila henna and add ayurvedic powders to it such as amla, hibiscus, brahmi, shikakai or bhringraj powders. And I mix this with nettle tea and lemon juice, too.

I also do the same to my husband’s hair about once every six weeks, but like IDareT's I do a two-step henna and indigo treatment and I don't braid his hair; it's too short. He sits 1 hr. under the steamer w/the henna and 1 hr. under the steamer w/the indigo. His hair is 4A w/some 3C in the back.

I've been hennaing since Sept '09.

One thing I want to try is not let the henna sit to release the color when using Katam/indigo to dye my hair dark brown and see if I still get the same warm, dark-brown color.

HTH

I did ask this in the other thread but have not any luck with answers so i will ask here. To those of you that have been using a while, have you experienced any hair growth because of it?

I did ask this in the other thread but have not any luck with answers so i will ask here. To those of you that have been using a while, have you experienced any hair growth because of it?
My hair growth is normal; I've not noticed any accelerated growth. But it does live up to the claim of strengthening. And I have noticed I don't have as much hair shedding as I used to have.

So, for those 2 things, strengthening and less hair shedding, I'll continue to use it forever.

Back