HOW MUCH WOULD YOU CHARGE?

Mandy4610

Hey Everyone,

A few people have been asking me to to there hair lately and they are willing to pay me for it.
Every time someone asks me how much they should pay, I have no idea what to say to them (I kinda feel weird asking for money for some reason:look:), so I am wondering how much you guys would ask for, for the following services:

FYI, they would bring their own products for all the services

1. Relaxing and rollersetting
2. Deep Conditioning and rollersetting
3. Wash and rollerset.

I am not a professional, but I am armed with info from yall and I did casually spend time at a Salom my mom used to run when I was in Africa.

What do you guys think?

I don't know what to tell you except:

Figure out how much hands on time you would spend on each item and then multiply it by a reasonable hourly rate such as 10 bucks or so. Thats probably gonna give you a ball park idea of what to charge. Once you figure out that amount call around to a few local salons to find out how your potential pricing compares to their costs. If its something that you want to do and your comfortable with it then go for it.

Hey Mandy! seeing that we live in the same city...
My stylist who works from her home (not licensed here in Canada,she's dominican) charges $60 for a relaxer, $25 to $30 for a rollerset and blow out.

Hey Mandy! seeing that we live in the same city...
My stylist who works from her home (not licensed here in Canada,she's dominican) charges $60 for a relaxer, $25 to $30 for a rollerset and blow out.
Thanks danysedai, This is helpful. How have you been? We should get together some time.

Mandy4610, just let me know when! let's do it now that it is summer, you never know when it'll be cold again all of a sudden...

tropical-punch, post the prices anyway, she'll need the comparison anyway.
The thing is, we live in the same city in Canada, prices at most (white) salons are more than $100 CAD for a relaxer, we don't have a huge black population, this is mostly a white city and most black women here wear weave,braids or wigs.
I've never been to a black salon in here but I found this for example, Ebony and Ivory salon

http://www.hairbyebonyandivory.com/index.cfm?p=hairServices.htm

it's 95 and up for a relaxer at Ebony and Ivory.

My stylist lets me bring my own relaxer and charges me $50 (that includes relaxer, rollerset and blowout afterwards).

It depends on the demographics. How much they have and how bad you need it. Also If there are cheap places around then you will have to compete with their prices. Personally, unless its a family member or something I don't think you should be doing relaxers without being a professional (just in case something goes wrong/someone goes bald) Other than that, charge the most someone is willing to pay; Time is money.

It depends on the demographics. How much they have and how bad you need it. Also If there are cheap places around then you will have to compete with their prices. Personally, unless its a family member or something I don't think you should be doing relaxers without being a professional (just in case something goes wrong/someone goes bald) Other than that, charge the most someone is willing to pay; Time is money.
Dommo. I understand what you mean and I really would only do relaxers for people I somewhat know and I would make 100% sure that they understand that I am not a professional. I have done hair for friends and family members for years and thats all the experience I have.
I am hesitant to do other people's hair, but, they keep asking and now offering to pay even with me telling them I am not a professional. I guess they see what I do for friends and family and they want to give it a try.

Hey Everyone,

A few people have been asking me to to there hair lately and they are willing to pay me for it.
Every time someone asks me how much they should pay, I have no idea what to say to them (I kinda feel weird asking for money for some reason:look:), so I am wondering how much you guys would ask for, for the following services:

FYI, they would bring their own products for all the services

1. Relaxing and rollersetting
2. Deep Conditioning and rollersetting
3. Wash and rollerset.

I am not a professional, but I am armed with info from yall and I did casually spend time at a Salom my mom used to run when I was in Africa.

What do you guys think?

Hmmm...
1. $40 just because relaxers are stressful lol. Between the burns, shedding, over or underprocessing, ehh
And maybe $25 for the rest. Idk how the Canadian dollars translate but I would pay someone at home for these services the same or less. Also, time is money!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

$40- 50 sounds reasonable for a relaxer, w/client supplying their own. $25-30 for a wash and rollerset. I was thinking about the legal ramifications. Don't know how that works in the U.S. or Canada, but if something went terribly wrong....you want to be covered. I'd have each person.....even some family members... sign some type of waiver.....ie........you understand that the services you are about to receive are from a non-professional and you will not hold said person responsible for any mishaps.......etc...etc.....:bookworm:

$40- 50 sounds reasonable for a relaxer, w/client supplying their own. $25-30 for a wash and rollerset. I was thinking about the legal ramifications. Don't know how that works in the U.S. or Canada, but if something went terribly wrong....you want to be covered. I'd have each person.....even some family members... sign some type of waiver.....ie........you understand that the services you are about to receive are from a non-professional and you will not hold said person responsible for any mishaps.......etc...etc.....:bookworm:

I agree. Most of the licensed beauticians here are getting their customers to sign a wavier. You can never be too careful.

Are you serious a waiver wow i never heard that one before.....
Whats the difference if u were doing it for free and something happened

You will be surprised that in NY not everyone is licensed they might not tell you but as long as the owner of the salon has license it covers everyone in the salon....i don't know if the law changed
In the upscale salons though everyone has one

Back