How much hair do you lose when rollersetting?

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
O.K....so I tried to do a rollerset today. I'm actually still under the dryer:grin:. It came out ok, but now i'm worried about hair loss. I came out of braids a few days ago and I think I got most of the shedded hair out then. However, when I came out of the shower and began to rollerset, my hair tangled something awful! I have a "silver dollar" sized amount of hair!:wallbash: What did I do wrong? I used a lot of leave in and kept it very wet. If this is how it's going to be everytime I rollerset, I'll have to give up for good! PLease help ladies!

Last edited:
Did you use a detangling shampoo? Did you do a good deep condition? Did you use something on it before you rollerset to help you comb thru it and part it (leave-in conditioner, serums, setting lotion), and a wide tooth comb? Rollersetting takes practice and patience. If you did all these things maybe you are using the wrong products for your hair or manipulated it the wrong way when you washed and conditioned it (scrubbing to hard when washing, combing inbetween b4 the rollerset. You also could have used too much leave-in.
Don't give up it takes time to figure out what didn't work. Keep track of what you did each time you rollerset and the results. I had to learn wash techniques (u can tangle your hair during washing/conditioning) and have been thru so many shampoos, conditioners, setting lotions and leave-in conditioners to find the ones that work best for me. I have confirmed these products for myself Keracare hydrating shampoo, Aveda DR line, Nexxus humectress, Biolage leave-in tonic, Keracare leave in conditioner, ORS olive oil creme, Kemi Oyl, and Dudleys setting lotion.

Did you use a detangling shampoo? Did you do a good deep condition? Did you use something on it before you rollerset to help you comb thru it and part it (leave-in conditioner, serums, setting lotion), and a wide tooth comb? Rollersetting takes practice and patience. If you did all these things maybe you are using the wrong products for your hair or manipulated it the wrong way when you washed and conditioned it (scrubbing to hard when washing, combing inbetween b4 the rollerset. You also could have used too much leave-in.
Don't give up it takes time to figure out what didn't work. Keep track of what you did each time you rollerset and the results. I had to learn wash techniques (u can tangle your hair during washing/conditioning) and have been thru so many shampoos, conditioners, setting lotions and leave-in conditioners to find the ones that work best for me. I have confirmed these products for myself Keracare hydrating shampoo, Aveda DR line, Nexxus humectress, Biolage leave-in tonic, Keracare leave in conditioner, ORS olive oil creme, Kemi Oyl, and Dudleys setting lotion.

I didn't use a detangling poo...that may be a reason. However, I did use a moisturizing conditioner (AO Honeysuckle Rose) sitting under my dryer for 30 min. Then after I rinsed out the conditioner, I added a mixture of Lacio Lacio/Giovanni Direct as a leave in. I sealed it in w/ Fantasia Anti-Frizz serum. After this my hair STILL felt "crunchy":nono:. Detangling was a mess, I lost alot of hair at this point. Parting through it was hell, and forget combing. I used a rattail comb so that it would lay smooth. Most of the ladies on the board do this, they can comb through their hair w/ ease... I just don't understand what I did wrong...

I've had the same problem with rollersetting. My hair just isn't moisturized enough so I believe that's why I have so much tangling and breakage when I've done rollersets. I don't have any advice but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

As much as I shed generally , when I rollerset I lose the least amount of hair.

I would LOVE to only lose a silver dollars worth of hair :lol:

I gave up after rolling three rollers because I was losing way too many hairs... I'll check out the oil rinse thread also.

I followed another lady's suggestion on here and my hair is soaking wet when I used to rollerset. I mean straight out of the shower, no towel drying wet. I have never had my hair get tangled or had any hair loss. With the added products, heat protectant and leave in...my hair was very moisturized.

There is a rollersetting tutorial floating around here that I believe would be a great help. Right before I BC'ed I followed her tuturial and had great results!

Back