How much do you pay at the salon?

itismehmmkay

If you don't mind me asking
look.gif

At this new place that I might be going to, everything is a la carte. This means that I'll be spending:

-$40-relaxer
-$40-shampoo&style
-$15-trim
-$10-deep conditioner

=

-$105 for each retouch visit.........$120 with a $15 tip.
ohwell.gif

I'm hoping this visit will only be every 2 months.

$45 for touch-up, trim, and style. (includes protein treatment and deep condition)
$35-40 for wash/style. (includes deep condition)

That's pretty expensive. It's weird but in my experience, the less I paid, the better the service and outcome. I paid over $120 when my hair fell out.
frown.gif

Well I only go to the salon for touch ups with trim every 11 weeks. It always cost $110 each time. I don't really care about the costs because to me it is definitely worth it.

When I used to go to the salon before my braids the cost was $60 for a touch up, deep condition, and style and plus she did my eyebrows only for $3 and it really turned out nice

Wow...that's expensive. On average, I pay $40-50 for a relaxer, and $25-35 for a set. When I was in NYC, I used to pay $15 for a set and $35 for a relaxer.
cry3.gif

I don't like that a la carte business...and I especially hate being charged for a deep conditioner. The stylist should WANT to d.c. your hair, anyway.

Yikes! That's why I do some important hair rituals at home and not at the salon.

-$55-relaxer
-$20-shampoo&style
-$0-trim (I do it at home for free)
-$0-3-deep conditioner (no charge at the salon where I get my relaxer, $3 charge where I get my blow out, and $0 when I do it at home)

I think mine is about $55 for a touch-up/trim and style. But I always tip like $20, so I don't remember what the original price is. Is this an upscale salon you're going to that's going to be using quality products? I strayed from my stylist once(mistake, lol) and went to another place closer to home where she charged $85 for the same service and she used Motions! Motions products are not worth that kind of money, but I was in a pinch and needed my hair done right away so I paid it. Never again. However, I would totally say paying $120 is worth if they are using good, quality products, not some crap from Sally's, and it's an upscale place.

$50 for a touchup (including deep conditioning) in my usual salon in NYC. $70 for the same service and inferior relaxer in Philly during the academic year.

$30 for wash & style
$40 for highlights
$50 for relaxer touchups (followed by wash & style)

Yes, it's an upscale salon.

I ended up cancelling that appointment and going to the Walmart salon which created disappointment.
ohwell.gif

So I think I'll be a self-stylist again.....just with better care. I'll make sure to consult with you all beforehand.....hmmm. It always turns out that when I go to the salon, they end up doing things that I certainly could have done myself. SSo yesterday I got a mild relaxer on my natural hair by a hair professional.........NOTHING HAPPENED TO MY HAIR! I still have an afro!
mad.gif
Now, some may be saying that I should have used a regular from the get-go. But I've done this to my own previously natural/virgin hair before with a mild (last summer)....and it took!

Here are some catches to that though:

1. I used a lye perm while the haircare prof used a no-lye
mad.gif
(I used Motions Oil Moisturizer Relaxer and she used an Affirm Mild....supposeably they didn't have any lye perms there!

2. It did take me a few applications before I got the mildly texturized texture that I wanted.

But I called myself going to the haircare prof thinking she'd be better at determining when to take the relaxer off. I guess I keep thinking that they have this gift where they can just look at the hair and see that it's at the texture that I want........well hell.....I can do what she did to my own hair!!!

So, the question:

I plan to just do the relaxer myself again. Should I use a mild again like she used and I used back over the summer and just leave it in longer? Or should I switch to a regular....and run the risk of getting it too straight?

Help!
confused.gif

(Note: This is my second time going natural. So when I put on a mld relaxer on my virgin hair last summer, it was my "first set" of natural hair.)ople have said that I expect too much, but I don't consider it a high expectation for a hair-care professional to know alot more than me about my hair...u know?
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
itismehmmkay said:

-$40-shampoo&style
-$15-trim

-$105 for each retouch visit.........$120 with a $15 tip.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
Wow. However I think they are robing you blind with the 40 shampoo & style and 15 dollar trim. Most people dont even make 15 dollars for an hours work much less for a 3 minute trim. Shampoo is not that expensive. These things can be done at home for much cheaper and you know what type of product and how much of your hair you are trimming.
smile.gif

I pay $50 for a touchup, wash, and rollerset on discount Tuesdays. It's $30 for just the wash and rollerset.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. I would NOT attempt a corrective self-relaxer on a full afro.

Have you checked the LHCF salon discussion board for local places that members like? I'd go to an LHCF appoved salon next.

You suspect the mild strength and no-lye chemical were ineffective at Walmart. Was the application time too short? Did the stylist not smooth it? Did she rollerset it straight afterward? What products would you prefer she use to style? Be more specific next consultation.

at my old salon it was cheaper but it was a very ghetto salon and the service went from bad to worse over time...on discount mondays it was only $40 for a relaxer, trim, and style....it was $25 for a wash and set

at my new salon, its $50 for a relaxer which is reasonable, but $20 for a tiny trim really makes me mad...the first time they just did it and charged me without telling me it costs more! this is just more initiative to put off trims...I can do that myself for free every 4 months or so.

When I was relaxing, I would pay about 40 to 70 dollars for a relaxer roughly every 8 or so weeks.

If I was getting some kind of braids or extensions, I wold pay anywhere between 30 and 375 bucks....yes, I paid 375 once fo rsome extensions (not braids but free flowing loose extensions) and that style thus far has been my favorite.

I know I'm late but I can get a touch-up, wash & style, and a cut for $45. A lot of salons you have to go to during the week to get a good discount. That's what I do. There's even a salon that offers all this for $30-something.

$17 for wash, condit and rollerset or blowout
$29 for touch up (and all of the above)
$35 for highlights (and rollerset or blowout))

my salon now wants 75 dollars for a retouch. No way I'm paying that. I paid 45 the last time I went. for 75$ their service had better improved or something.

Back