How many passes do you on one section of hair when flat ironing?

BlkOnyx488

I have seen videos where people do between 3 and 5 passes per section.

How many passes do you ladies do per section?

5 passes are too many. YouTube is not necessarily the best place to obtain that important info....

At the Right temp - with the right condition... one pass. 2 Max.

2-3 passes, then touch up here and there when I'm done to smooth any stragglers. My hair is pretty resilient so I could probably get away with 5-6.

One or two passes at 450 on the Sedu. I'm just learning how to flat iron my hair so I don't do it too often.

One, all my hair really need
experimented with 300... but 350 degrees - 370 is best with Solia
I go pretty fast too, no not like speedy Gonzales.

Hmm, I wonder if it's best to do one pass at scorching heat or 2 passes at a lower temperature...

One pass is enough for me. Sometimes I need to do the roots twice. I'm just learning how to iron, so maybe I won't need to re-do the roots, after I get better at it.

I tried ironing at a very low temperature, but I much prefer using higher heat and just doing one pass. I use a solid ceramic iron (Hana Elite).

I do one pass while my hair is damp with a spray heat protectant to dry it. Then I apply a heat protectant anti-frizz serum and do another pass to seal. Total two passes at 446 degrees F/230 degrees C.

thanks ladies
I was worry I am over passing
I have natural hair, after a good blowdry

two passes with my maxiglide on 7 works
maybe I can do one pass on 10 hmmmm

thanks ladies

If I were you, I'd stick to the 2 passes on 7. I say that because my guess is the two passes are probably necessary because your hair strands overlap and the iron doesn't touch all of them (maybe coz the section is thick). So if 7 is getting your hair straight, I'd stick with that.

I think the safest way to press your hair is to find the lowest heat necessary to press your hair. Since you get success with 7 and no damage, do not risk going higher just to minimize the passes. Two passes at 7 are way safer than one at 10 IMO.

If you weren't getting the results you want, that's the only time I'd suggest you increase the temperature. In other words, don't fix what isn't broken. ;)

ETA: Remember it takes only ONE mistake to damage your hair...and that could be that ONE pass.

Last edited:
I rarely flat-iron or press my hair...when I do, I end up using about 2 passes on each section, but that's only where the NG meets the processed hair (to make it blend). I don't flat-iron the processed hair...the blow-drying usually gets that nice and straight.

thanks ladies

Maybe I need to "live" a little. I've only flat ironed my completely natural hair once with my maxi set between 4-5 and I ended up with straight yet poofy hair. I only passed 1-2 times.

Really, I think I need to figure out my technique cause for the back of my head (tops of ears on down) that setting was too high, but the rest just :lachen:at that setting.

One pass, two tops, is fine for me. Five is a bit much. However, my hair has gotten away with it in the past, but I wouldn't do that now. I have learned how to prep my hair better over the years so I don't need that many.

Back