• I use whatever works

Votes: 19 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Naturelle

Are using commercial products?

Have you used natural products too?

If so how do they compare?

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively?

I ask cause while I'mr pro natural, my hair lacks getting slip form the natural products I have. I'm wondering if I should start using products that contain "cones" in order to have that slip and have easier detangling

Wanna know y'all thoughts and experiences

Yes.. I use suave natural conditioner to cowash and CON green bottle shampoo. I also use ICE Fantasia gel when I wear a ponytail.
Yes... I use coconut oil, avocado butter and mango butter. I also apply castor oil to my hair every night.

I think they serve different purposes. I usually don't use commercial styling products (except gel).
Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively?
I don't think so.

Are you using commercial products? Yes.

Have you used natural products too? Yes

If so how do they compare? I use different products for different reasons. Right now, most of my cleansing products are natural - they are cheap, and they work. My weekly DC product(s) are mostly commercial, with some natural bits mixed it - they are cheap and they work. My styling products are all natural - cuz, you guessed it - they are cheap and they work. :lachen:

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? No. I'm a 4a/b.........

I don't use cones, at all - and I find that I still get more than enough slip when detangling with my Elasta - but I also use a LOT of conditioner. I don't see how any conditioner wouldn't give you 'slip' if you are using enough of it. Hrm. That's an interesting thought.

Are using commercial products? Right now the only comm. prod. I use is V05 tea therapy. I hope to phase this out soon as well.
I also still have some kinky curly left that I'm sure I will finish using up when I start wearing puffs again.

Have you used natural products too? Yes, mainly butters, oils, coco milk, almond milk, tea, acv, honey, etc.

If so how do they compare? Love the all natural products. I feel it's best for my body and hair.

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? I think just like with any product, you have to find what's best for your hair.

i mosly both. my conditioner, gel, and olive oil are commercial. but then i use honey, baking soda, vinegar and henna. i usally mix things together so i don't know lol.

Are using commercial products? Yes I use commercial products

Have you used natural products too? Yes I use natural products too.

If so how do they compare? I use whatever works on my hair and keeps it healthy. There are some things that I won't use because they don't work but I have a more natural than commercial supply when you look at my hair cabinets (yes I have more than one cabinet :lachen:)

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? I guess my hair type does determine what products I use because I know some things just won't work for 4Z hair that may be a natural product or a commercial product.

I learned early on from all the hair boards about different products or homemade products. Of course this journey is all about trial and error which can and usually does lead to pjism. :blush:

I determined that when I found something that worked then I would stay with it because my hair was responding positively. What I also learned was that not every hair type even 4Z's are the same so what may work for me may not work for Mwedzi or vice versa even though she is one of the folks closest to my hair type. For example, you will see on youtube and this site that some of the women with 4Z type hair rave about Kinky Curly Custard (aka KCC). I have tried to use this product 4 different times and different ways and I still do not get the desired result, so I don't use it because for me it just does not work.

I had to realize also that other 4Z's may have hair styling capabilities different than me as well as time being a big factor, so I could look at what they were doing and then determine if it was something I could also do or maybe need to adjust depending on certain factors like time or expertise in hair styling.

I have a simple motto now, if it works (natural or otherwise) use it. If it doesn't pass it on to someone else who may benefit from it.

Yes, I am. All my conditioners are commercial.

Yes. I use ayurveda, natural oils and other natural products to help with my hair care regimen.

Their duties rarely overlap, so I am not sure. I would prefer to be 100%, but it's just easier sometimes to pick up something from the store. Plus, there are certain things that natural products can not do.

I don't think so.

Are using commercial products? Yes. I will occasionally use my kid's commercial shampoo if I am in a hurry or a mild soap with some natural ingredients. I occasionally use a commercial conditioner, usually because I just bought it and am trying it out(pj). I used curl activator as a leave in sometimes.

Have you used natural products too? I randomly(sp) use coconut oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, aloe vera olive oil, and vegetable glycerin as leave-ins. ACV(Not so much now).

If so how do they compare? I don't have anything to compare shampoos since I have not found a 100% natural one unless my castile soap counts. If it does count, then not much difference to me from the kid's shampoo.
My commercial conditioner is better to me than my olive oil/shea butter blend, only when I really can't have an oily residue left on my hair(special occasion). Other than that, I perfere my natural product.

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? No. I have thin/medium strand 4A/B/3C hair. I will use a natural or commercial product if it helps achieve the goal of the hairstyle I desire without pulling my hair out or breaking my skin out. I will eventually just wash my hair anyway.

Yes

Yes

Uhmm...can't really compare them. I use whatever sounds good and then again if it works and causes me no problems. I use the products without giving them a second thought whether natural or not.

No

I ask cause while I'mr pro natural, my hair lacks getting slip form the natural products I have. I'm wondering if I should start using products that contain "cones" in order to have that slip and have easier detangling

Wanna know y'all thoughts and experiences.
I have used 'cones without any problem and would use them again in a heartbeat. My only problem is I baggy every night and products getting on my scalp--especially thick sealing products like cones--make me itch like crazy. Plus the idea for baggying besides keeping my hair from losing moisture is to encourage moisture to penetrate the hair, and cones don't do that. They just sit on top of hair to form a coating so baggying would be futile. Also cones need to be washed off to moisturize your hair afresh and I'm just too lazy for all of that. I prefer my easy no-product regimen.

But if I were you and liked cones, I would do what works for me. Cones are actually very good in protecting your hair so if they work, why not?

Are using commercial products? Yes; Suave Clarifying poo, CON red, Roux porosity control, Garnier Strength and Repair DC, Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1, Miracle Oil Moisturizer, MT, OCT, Pantene R&N DC, Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol

Have you used natural products too? Yes; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Condish, Giovanni 50/50 balanced condish, aloe vera gel, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, Hairveda Green tea butter, Aveda, Prosys Well balanced condish, castor oil, Millcreek botanicals

If so how do they compare? I like the way the natural products feel on my hair but I haven't found a good natural DC so I think I'm going to keep the ones I'm using

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? I don't think it really matters, I just think you should use what works for you!

Are you using commercial products? not many at all

Have you used natural products too? Yes.

If so how do they compare? IMO - hair has to 'detox' from commercial products. Once natural or naturally based products were used for a while on my hair, the change was tremendous. In reading some of the responses - I amnot sure what you mean by natural.... do you mean - eggs, yogurt, milk, etc???

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? Um. I don't know.

You need to find a conditioner that will help you in the detangling process. I need lots of help before and after.... so I use moisturinzing condish, steam treatments to help melt tangles. I do not use cone - filled condishes. but that is my preference.

Yes

Yes

They all serve different purposes. My cleansing products are commercial because they don't matter much. My leave in and moisturizers are all natural. Commercial moisturizers were awful on my hair. Natural cleansing products did nothing for my hair and cost more. They are good for what I use them for. :yep:

No. My hair is a type all its own. I don't use type specific products simply because all of the ladies with somewhat similar hair to mine, swear by certain products that do absolutely nothing for my hair. I just keep it really simple and stick with what works.

Yes. Namely shampoos and cheapy co-wash conditioners.

Yes. Still using them. Namely moisturizers and deep conditioners.

I can only compare moisturizers. The commericial ones that I've tried just sit on my hair and leave a residue. I have to re-use them often just to get that "moisturized" feeling. The natural ones (shea mixed with oils, oil alone, etc.) really penetrate my hair. I can get away with moisturizing just 1-2x a week. I haven't tried enough alternatives to the other stuff to form a solid opinion. I just know that the natural DC is working for me right now ... as well as the commericial shampoo and co-wash conditioner.

IMO, no. I don't see the link.

Last edited:
Yes. Poo & con. Only because I lack the knowledge & time to make my own great quality products.
Yes. My regi includes both natural & commercial products. I DC with a mayo based DC at leat 1X/week

I use the commercial products (especially moiturizers) for a short time before they no longer "work" on my hair...then it's back to water, sheabutter & oil.

I don't think so. i think you can use both successfully in any regimen.

Shea butter & coconut oil are my main sources of slip while my hair is dry. They coat my strands without leaving them greasy & allow my nappy/kinky strands to "slip"by each other for the most part.
Coney conditioners work well but leave my fine hair feeling rough even after the rinse out. I usually end up clarifying within days of using one, so i'd rather not use one.
I have several detangling methods depending on how i'm wearing my hair or how tangled it is...both involve oil & conditioner & various sized combs

I use both but would like to move towards more natural products. Some of the natural lines I use like Hairveda and Kinky Curly may use some chemical preservatives so they may not be considered by some to be completly "natural". I think my hair feels better the less chemicals I put on it.
I just like being able to pronounce my labels. I'm not trying to sound like the liitle girl on the Bryers Ice Cream commercial.

Right now, the only commercial products I am using are Body Shop Honey Conditioner and Aveda Humectant Pomade.

I use Anita Grant Poo Bar, Henna (first time again today :)), Amla Powder, Coconut Cream, Avocado Butter, honey, different oils, home-made moisturiser, rhassoul mud

I prefer natural products. My hair responds a lot better to them, and so far the results have been great :).

No, I don't really think so.

You may want to try adding a little bit of honey to your conditioning treatment. Detangles hair like a dream :yep:.

Are using commercial products? No

Have you used natural products too? Yep

If so how do they compare? Both dried out my hair.

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? Nope

I was using whatever worked, but nothing seemed to work. I started using "natural" products and wondered why my hair was still dry. I then figured out that my hair really and truly thrives on all natural exclusively meaning straight up pure oils and butters. So I started mixing my own stuff and my hair has no problems with detangling. I have a pretty good amount of hair and when I detangle it wet with no product every day, I have no knots, no tangles and very little hair in the comb. I attribute my effortless detangling to the fact that I use an oil based soap(castile), I use oil to seal daily and I use butters daily. I always have slippage now but it took months of this regimen to achieve this.

Last edited:
Are using commercial products? Yes. I use Organix, Pantene R&N, Suave, Lustrasilk, and Fantasia IC gel

Yes. I use honey, coco oil, coco milk, unrefined shea butter, food-grade vitamin E oil, and green tea rinses

The commercial products are for cowashing, and DC. The natural products are for moisture, sealing, and pre-poo. There is no comparing natural to commercial imo.

No

Are using commercial products? Yes..My staple condish is Pantene. I love it and NO OTHER condish works as well in my hair that I've found thus far.

Have you used natural products too? Yes..I use a hair mask that consist of ripe bananas, coconut oil, coconut milk, evoo, molasses, and honey.

If so how do they compare? No matter the state of my hair, if I use Pantene, it comes out detangled, soft, and shiny. I use my mask in order to provide my hair w/ extra moisture and softness. My hair tangles easily, so I am always trying to find ways of keeping it properly moisturized.

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? For me, no.

Are using commercial products? Yes. All the products I use are commerical
Have you used natural products too? no
I don't use natural products so I can't compare
Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively No. I never had a problem with commerical products, they have always worked well for me so I never thought to start using natural products.

Are using commercial products? Yes. But the choices are very limited to shampoo and Suave conditioner.
Have you used natural products too? Yes. I go to Whole Foods and get almond oil, aloe vera gel/juice, coconut oil, avocado oil, Aubrey Organics, etc. I buy my Shea butter online.
If so how do they compare? Natural conditioners are too expensive and I have too much hair. Suave does an equal or sometimes better job, so I will pay the 99 cents instead of waiting weeks for my product to ship. My hair likes natural homemade concoctions as opposed to sticky products from CVS. Half the stuff I buy you can get at a supermarket.
Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? I don't know, but I would say no. Been natural now 1 1/2 yrs and I'm still trying to figure out my hair. I immediately know when my hair hates it. Most of the products I loved when I was relaxed don't work on me now. Which makes sense because I know I wouldn't have been able to use all those butters & oils the way I do now with relaxed hair. My hair doesn't like every natural product out there.

Are using commercial products? yup

Have you used natural products too? yup

If so how do they compare? both natura and commercial work well for my hair. I have purchased and tried all-natural products that just did nothing for my hair..or it did something and the result wasn't good. I've also had the experience with commercial products. overall i am trying to use more natural products but I'm not militant about it.

not that I know of. truth be told- I'm not even sure what my hair type is at some points....

I personally don't see anything wrong with cones...I have given up on the sulfates (actually I have't poo'd at all in a while) and mineral oil/petroleteum but when I used products with those chemicals, my hair didn't like. overall, I am trying to not get too militant or exclusive with my hair journey...

Are you using commercial products? not many at all

Have you used natural products too? Yes.

If so how do they compare? IMO - hair has to 'detox' from commercial products. Once natural or naturally based products were used for a while on my hair, the change was tremendous. In reading some of the responses - I amnot sure what you mean by natural.... do you mean - eggs, yogurt, milk, etc???

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? Um. I don't know.

You need to find a conditioner that will help you in the detangling process. I need lots of help before and after.... so I use moisturinzing condish, steam treatments to help melt tangles. I do not use cone - filled condishes. but that is my preference.

Anything that does not include synthetic ingredients so it could be a natural product sold or homemade

Are using commercial products? Yes (Shampoos ,Conditioners, and Leave-ins)

Have you used natural products too? Yes (Conditioners & Leave-ins)

If so how do they compare? My hair is not very picky so they both work the same. I do notice though that my hair prefers natural leave-ins MUCH MUCH MUCH better than it down commercial leave-ins (i.e coconut oil, castor oil & shea butter) so I will save up the money to buy nat. leave-ins. Natural products can be expensive so although I'd like to strat an all nat. journey my wallet and student income is not allowing it. My hair is definately NOT suffering so I'm in no rush right now to do the all natural thing.

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? My hair type is forever changing (as its getting longer its getting looser.. there are more 3b/c parts and the parts that are still 4a are becoming 3cish) and I'm realizing that my hair like natural products better. I don't think it's because of my hair type though, I just think that as I become more hair savvy on my natural hair I'm using better products on it (when I first went natural I was using only commercial products).

Yes
Yes

umm I like the commercial products better--more slip and I'm not scared of cones. Trader Joe's Nourish Spa was the only good natural conditioner I found. I'll use whatever makes my hair feel good honestly.

Yes; I use Lekair, HS 14 n1, Aphogee 2 min, Porsity Control Conditioner, I want to try
Sabino Moisture block.

Yes, I use MOP shampoo conditioner and leave-in, oils, and butters. I perfer Giovanni direct leavin.

I have tried lots of natural or organic products; until I found the MOP most of them made my hair feel stripped and/or dried out.

I deciced to find what natural product (that weren't so expensive) worked best for me as months went by, and some trial and error; I realized that natural products a good but I was missing keys components in my regimen and I was tried of making concotions everytime I was to do my hair. My hair responses well to MOP and they have several product lines catering to specific hair issues. As for me, the conditioner that gives my hair the best slip is still Lekair, so even if I use all other natural products, my Lekair stays!

Are using commercial products? Yes..My staple condish is Pantene. I love it and NO OTHER condish works as well in my hair that I've found thus far.

Have you used natural products too? Yes..I use a hair mask that consist of ripe bananas, coconut oil, coconut milk, evoo, molasses, and honey.

If so how do they compare? No matter the state of my hair, if I use Pantene, it comes out detangled, soft, and shiny. I use my mask in order to provide my hair w/ extra moisture and softness. My hair tangles easily, so I am always trying to find ways of keeping it properly moisturized.

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? For me, no.

Can you give the recipe for that mask? My hair almost is the same way! ITA! Please share..

Are using commercial products? Mostly during my DCs and co-washes.

Have you used natural products too? Yes. My spritz (homemade mix) and my moisturizers are homemade (shea butter + other goodies).

If so how do they compare? Since I use them for different purposes I can't compare. However, I like my homemade moisturizer much better than the Redken Butter Blend leave-in. This leaves a nasty coating on my strands.

Does your hair type also determine whether or not you use natural hair products exclusively? It hasn't factored into my decision to use natural or non-natural products.

I hear ya. Determine when it is important for you to have slip and go from there. For example, I like slip when I'm DC-ing and untangling my hair. Otherwise, I can deal without the slip. Have you tried SAA added to your products?

Nope, not at all. Unless you consider the fact that I buy my stuff from a store instead of growing it in my back yard.

Right now, if it's not edible, it doesn't go on my head. But I may be incorporating some other natural products as well. Generally, I consider products to be natural if they don't have more than one ingredient (inlcuding preservatives and fragrance) and are not made in a lab.

Commercial products were fine for my hair, I loved Giovanni, Oyin, ORS, and NTM. My natural products work just as well, if not better. And they are much much healthier. I use natural products because I am concerned about the lasting health effects of using products that contain carcinogens, xenoestrogens, and allergens. I've also found that it's cheaper. Now, if I could only grow things in my backyard, I'd feel complete.

Nope, hair type has nothing to do with it. Obviously, if you are chemically processed you can't use natural hair products exclusively (since relaxers aren't natural) but I guess you could try.

I ask cause while I'mr pro natural, my hair lacks getting slip form the natural products I have. I'm wondering if I should start using products that contain "cones" in order to have that slip and have easier detangling.

Hmm, well I detangle really well and pretty easily just using my fingers, water, and some castor oil. Olive oil works really really well to detangle as well, it really helps to lubricate the strands and help them slip past each other instead of getting tangled.

I've found everything I need in natural products. The caramel treatment is one of the best DC's I've ever tried, water is the best moisturizer, and castor oil protects my ends like no other. I guess it all depends on what you need your products to do. You may have to get creative.

Yep, all my conditioners and shampoo's...moisturizers too

Yeah, I like Shea butter and Hepseed butter.
Love Coconut oil.

Natural products definitely benefit my hair more than commercial products, my hair feels softer and more moisturized. But nothing gets rid of the frizz and gives shine like commercial products.

Naw, I think my hair does well with both, they just provide different benefits.
But I must say, I wash my hair more often and use more shampoo when i use commercial products.
Natural products are more hassle to get hold of and cost more, so therefore I don't use it on a regular basis. I don't think the benefits are big enough or me to spend that much money on my hair, it grows nicely either way.

Back