How long should I wait? And should I dump her??

Ms. Alainious

Hi Ladies,

I just moved to a new city and went to a stylist I was referred to. She relaxed my hair and some parts were underprocessed. I went back a few weeks later for a corrective, and she processed approx. 2/3 of my head....but the part that needed straightening is still not straight! :nono:

I refuse to run put any more chemicals in my hair any time soon, but how long should I wait before I get my next relaxer? I have some hair that's 1 week post, some that's 4 weeks post, and some that feels about 9 weeks post! :pullhair:

The second part of this scenario is the stylist...she's competent, but I don't like her attitude. She works out of a spa, but she's not exactly the classy type, and lately she's been acting a little suspect.

Example:

When I went in for the 1st relaxer, she trimmed my hair. When I came back for the corrective (and after she'd just cut this lady's hair into a short bob) she starts criticizing the last stylist who cut my hair saying that its uneven. :ohwell: I reminded her that she was the last person to cut my hair, and she cut me off saying that she was just following how my hair was already cut...never mind my last stylist was Vidal Sasoon trained and owned her own salon in Beverly Hills...:rolleyes:

I promptly told her that I was allergic to scissors, and she mumbled something to the effect of "I bet you are, boo"

She also tried to play me once when I used the term "no-lye", interrupting me to say "all relaxers are lye, do your research, boo"...so I had to pull out my LHCF member card (and chemical engineering degree) and talk on the differences between sodium, calcium, lithium, and guanidine hydroxide...that shut her up!:lachen:

How long should I wait to relax my hair again?

And should I kick this stylist to the curb?

I would wait until the 1 week post hair is at least 6 weeks. Some will probably recommend 4 weeks but 6 is what I am saying for my own hair.

Should you kick her to the curb?....Yes, I would. How many times are you going to let her burn you? I wouldnt keep taking chances with her.

I would kick her to the curb immediately, I don't pay you for attitude. I agree about waiting for the one week post hair to be about 6 weeks post before you relax again.

Girl, There are literally Salons on Every Corner. She would be SO GONE.

In the words of Donald Trump: You're FIRED.

First of All, I am "NOT" Your "Boo." And you don't know me like that.:look:

Second: Don't disrespect Me, My Time or My Money.

And Third: We're in a Recession "BOO":rolleyes: Bye-Bye.

I hate that stylist-knows-best attitude, they usual dont know as much as they claim. sorry i cant offer any advice on the relaxer>

I didn't realize ppl still used the word "boo" like that...:look:

Just act like you are on an extended stretch and wait 6 to 8 weeks before applying another relaxer. I'm kinda in the same boat at the moment but I do not want to risk over processing my hair for the straight look...it's simply not worth it. I plan on wearing protective and low manipulation styles for about 7 weeks to help me along.

ETA: Oh yeah, I would start taking referals today for a new stylist....she would be sooo fired.

GASP!! Oh..no..no..no...no..to THE NO!! First of all, she getting on you about the cut SHE did, she doesn' know the appropriate relaxer YOU prefer, and the WHOLE attitude and calling you "boo"...I'm sorry..I missed the part in the story where you all know one another like that. I say lose her..no love lost. She was a recommendation, you tired her out,and for you, it turned out whack. You gave her MORE THAN ENOUGH chances ALREADY by going back for the second time. She does not deserve a third.

I agree with the other ladies, wait until the one week hair is 6 weeks post and then relax. That will give you some time to research for your own stylist and even go in for a consultation if you feel the need. But ole girl? She needs to be a wrap.

Definitely don't go back to that stylist. I'm sure some LHCF ladies from Columbus will be able to give you a better stylist to go to.

And I co-sign on waiting for your 1 week post hair to be 6 weeks post.

No question, "if", "and" or "but" about it, her tail would have been LONG gone the first time. TonicaG don't get down like that!

I agree with the others, you only get one chance to mess up my head "Boo"! Especially knowing I've worked long and hard to achieve what I have and if I'm not going to to mess up my head you ain't eitha!!! (Sorry, that's the south coming out of me)... Secondly, keep your opinion to yourself, if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

I would suggest you wait as long as possible or identify a Dominican salon and they can give you blow out so good that it would look like you had a relaxer.

I would have been gone. She had 2 chances and messed it up twice. The third time you could be leaving with no hair
I would go somewhere else in 8 weeks and have them relax the NG then later on pull the relaxer down a little for the corrective so you don't get overprocessed

Don't know the answer to the first question.

The answer to the second question though......Last week or sooner!

No question, "if", "and" or "but" about it, her tail would have been LONG gone the first time. TonicaG don't get down like that!

I agree with the others, you only get one chance to mess up my head "Boo"! Especially knowing I've worked long and hard to achieve what I have and if I'm not going to to mess up my head you ain't eitha!!! (Sorry, that's the south coming out of me)... Secondly, keep your opinion to yourself, if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

I would suggest you wait as long as possible or identify a Dominican salon and they can give you blow out so good that it would look like you had a relaxer.

Watch out TonicaG, you're gonna bring the Southern out of me too!

I went to a Dominican salon when I lived in Puerto Rico, but I haven't come across any in Columbus...It's a lot of heat, but I rarely use direct heat, so its not a huge deal....I'll see what I can find.

:lachen:Chile........That was Your First "Clue" that something was OFF!:rolleyes:

Oh there's a lot more to her...I don't want to start re-telling the stories she was telling the other client she had...tales of divorce, motorcycle clubs, drug dealers, prison, ghetto novels and more...:lachen:

Don't stone me ladies...she didn't say any of that mess until the second visit!

Oh there's a lot more to her...I don't want to start re-telling the stories she was telling the other client she had...tales of divorce, motorcycle clubs, drug dealers, prison, ghetto novels and more...:lachen:

Don't stone me ladies...she didn't say any of that mess until the second visit!

In the words of Madea, it is time to leave with a quickness!

Sorry I can't offer you advice on the relaxer, but I would definitely kick the stylist to the curb.

OK, she's officially dumped...but who do I replace her with?

I bumped a thread in the salon review forum, but are there any Columbus ladies here with referrals?

Run -- don't walk -- away from her and her tomfoolery. You're doing the right thing by trying to get recommendations from this forum.

I could not have said it any better!!!!!!
And the bolded:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Sorry OP this is exactly what i'm going through. I'm waiting until next year now, lol, ok i will see what my hair is saying in December 3 months post.

Seriously I agree with waiting at least 6 weeks before doing a corrective.
The reason she underprocessed me is she changed relaxer (no lye to lye) without telling me strike one! Then washed it out after about 7 minutes!

After the switching relaxer fisaco that was all i needed to decide i was dumping my stylist. Its a shame as she did my virgin application great!

I would say IMMEDIATELY FIND SOMEONE ELSE. This woman deserves then thumbs down. I would highly consider if I were her looking into another profession because this is not working for her. You could have done the relaxer yourself and it would have come out better. Pray about finding one and even post a blog asking for Columbus LHCFers to post their salons.

Last edited:
Sorry, I’m not too sure how long you should wait until your next relaxer but I would definitely start considering finding another stylist if I were you as I most certainly would not be paying for someone to be inflicting attitude and extremely unprofessional behaviour upon me.

i cant help with the hair. sounds like your gonna have to baby it for a while. as far as the stylist goes, dont pay anyone to be rude to you. kick her boo caling self to the curb.

Back