how LONG is the avg head of hair @ ur salon?

I'd have to say apl... i see anywhere from apl to midback.
I've been to some Dom salons where I see nothing but thick healthy brastrap and beyond.. and I just sit there like :shocked:

The Dominican Salon, two stylists had Apl and longer. The ladies has SL or Past APL. My AA salon a lot of the ladies had Bra Strap and longer with a few with SL.

when i used to go i think it ranged from neck length to just above SL :perplexed. ironically, the longest head of hair at the salon i went to belonged to a man. i really could not keep my eyes off of his hair. it looked similar to ludacris's (before he cut it) but bigger. i was amazed he didn't need any extra hair in order to get cornrows whilst this is what i had always had to do.

Last edited:
I go to a salon that specializes in short hair styles, oftentimes i have the longest hair there. My hair is b/w SL and APL. When i used to go to the Dominicans, the lengths varied but the most common hair length was BSL.

I don't go to salons anymore (everyone knows why) but pretty much all the salons I've been to did not have ladies with long hair.

Stylists make more money on girls with short hair or short styles so that is what you're going to see most of the time.

Pretty much every salon I've been to since I joined LHCF had ladies with hair no longer than armpit length. I am always the one with the longest hair.

Last edited:
i recently went to my fav dominican salon for a blowout (blue moon special occasion arose). while there, i noticed that the average sista was walking out with SL hair or shorter. a lot had hair that chin/nape length (above SL basically). it was not always like that. way back when, sistas would walk out with hair APL or longer. Quite a few had BSL. One sista would have the rest of us drooling over her WSL hair. not anymore :sad:

i am considering changing up my spot. i like "hands that grow hair" :look:

Man what a good observation I stopped going to my salon hoping they would help grow my hair I spent 1 year at just above shoulder length no kidding check my fotki. I since spent about 5 months on my own washing, conditioner washing, vitamins rollersets(thanks mariechemore) I only go in to the salon for my weave install and takeouts.:drunk::drunk: When I was seeing another stylist my hair went from neck length to apl in two years. She left and so did my hair:nono::nono:

the dom salons i have been to have a varity some SL some BSL some APL. in general i would say they were between APL and BSL tho which isnt a bad thing to me, i dont go often at all so i dont feel like i am going to be held to the standards, plus i was already waist length anyway

I have to say that at my regular dominicans every head ( not mine) was full APL or longer . they really care about hair in there and they do not promote blow out s like the others unless you ask for them . infact my regular girl straight up told me never get blow out ( i had gotten one last year fro a quick event and just out of curiosity and hype. but she schooled me well. she told me to use coconut oil alot on my hair and to DC everyweek $$$$$$$ thank goodness for the hair boards because I would still be going every week like a footballer's wife:grin:

I have to say that at my regular dominicans every head ( not mine) was full APL or longer . they really care about hair in there and they do not promote blow out s like the others unless you ask for them . infact my regular girl straight up told me never get blow out ( i had gotten one last year fro a quick event and just out of curiosity and hype. but she schooled me well. she told me to use coconut oil alot on my hair and to DC everyweek $$$$$$$ thank goodness for the hair boards because I would still be going every week like a footballer's wife:grin:

This is OT, but your daughter is PRECIOUS! She's a real stunner! And she's looking too adorable in her little dance outfit.

The average length of ladies hair in the salon I go to is about arm pit level, believe it or not. I think my hair is one of the shortest lengths in there right now but not for long:grin:. My stylist strongly believes in maintaining length and that is one of the reasons why I've kept her as my stylist.

When I ask her for a trim she gives me exactly that - a trim. In fact, even if she feels that I need a decent cut, her way of dealing with that is in stages. She would trim it a tiny bit everytime I go (every 2 weeks at one point) until it looked healthy again. She actually hates to see a lot of length disappear all at one time. She wears her own hair natural and she has 3b/c type hair and that doesn't bother me one bit. I love the gentle way she cares for my hair and that's what matters to me.

Why?

OT: the avg. length is SL, but my stylist has MBL hair.

I told her I was trying to grow my hair out (its a little past SL) and she's like how long do you want it to be? Its long enough....and then I noticed that all of her client's hair was SL or less. I think she doesn't feel like doing longer hair:nono:

well i barely go to the salon now but when i do go most sistas are getting the short, rihanna or mary j inspired cuts. but personally, i just believe they're hair is short because thats whats in right now really. short hair. But every time i do go, they are always in AWE of how long my hair has grown from the last time i came in. lol you'd think i'd just found the cure for cancer they way they gasp..and awe:grin:

i recently went to my fav dominican salon for a blowout (blue moon special occasion arose). while there, i noticed that the average sista was walking out with SL hair or shorter. a lot had hair that chin/nape length (above SL basically). it was not always like that. way back when, sistas would walk out with hair APL or longer. Quite a few had BSL. One sista would have the rest of us drooling over her WSL hair. not anymore :sad:

ummm i dont know where every body else is from, but in the salons that i used to frequent(i havent been in them for years but i walk by those plate glass windows all the time) the heads of hair comming out of those places is wow!. every black women i see coming out of there has at least apl or much longer hair, in my experience when i went, the ones who didnt go there often. idk i guess its all the roller sets and the exclussion of other heat products. they dont blow dry unless you ask them to, and they don't use flat irons curling iron much.

I told her I was trying to grow my hair out (its a little past SL) and she's like how long do you want it to be? Its long enough....and then I noticed that all of her client's hair was SL or less. I think she doesn't feel like doing longer hair:nono:

lol , some one really fixed thier mouth to say something like that. the nerve of some ppl. i guess it was just let the stylist make descissions 4 me day huh?

yep, same here :nono:

Well there'd be a mixture of Black and Dominican customers who'd go to my salon in NY. So average would be APL I'd say! The owner and another stylist who does my hair, both have wsl hair.

I'd say that the avg. length is SL, with some at BS/MBL. I've got the longest hair but a lot of them prefer their hair shorter and get haircuts weekly/bi-weekly. My stylist mostly does wet wraps and everybody has healthy looking hair.

Back