How long does it take your heat straightened natural hair/NG to revert?

ajoyfuljoy

Hey ladies,

Just wondering, kind of a spinny from another thread I started earlier today.

Please answer the following:

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert?

What is your hair type?

Are your strands thick or fine?

What method do you use to get it straight?

And feel free to list any other variables you can think of. Maybe we will spot a trend! :yep:

your on a roll with the post today eh lol

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert?

Like .5 seconds lol. No but really it depends on the temp outside, if i exercise, etc. But on average it last about a good 4-5 days before the roots start to shrink up.

What is your hair type?
I think i have all the textures 3a-4a

I have fine and thick strands. I have messy DNA! lol

Roller-set then lightly flat-iron on second lowest setting.

I can keep it straight for about a week and still have it look nice. To revert all you need is a cup of water and I'd give it 1.5 seconds after that. Anything over 75 degrees outside and my hair will revert to curly in 5 minutes.

What is your hair type?
3b-3c

Thick strands

Rollerset, dry under the hooded dryer, and then flatiron with a Chi. I use a heat protectant before using the Chi.

After one wash

What is your hair type?
2 something

Thick

I press my roots and then I follow up with a flat iron

It depends on the weather, if it's really humid out it can take a few hours.
If it's not humid it will last until I wash it next.

What is your hair type?
3 b/c

I have no clue i think medium?? :ohwell:

Rollerset then flat iron the roots

If the humidity level outside is about 50% (and it usually is), it starts reverting as soon as I step outside. Or the first drop of water that gets near it. In fact, I once picked up a crying child and my hair reverted, :lol:.

What is your hair type?
3c-ish, but it has some 2c, 3a, 3b, 3c and 4a.

I have both.

Blow-dry, sometimes going over it with an electric comb, sometimes wrapping it after that.

5.2 seconds if I am even thinking about water. but usually until a week or until I wash it

What is your hair type?
4a/b

I have both.

Flat ironing and wrapping

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert? After about a week you can feel the new growth so it starts to curl and tangle a bit. Other than that 2 seconds in water does it.

What is your hair type? 3c/4a/4b

Are your strands thick or fine? I have a little bit of both

What method do you use to get it straight? Deep condition under heat, blow dry and then flat iron.

A few days.

What is your hair type?
4B

Somewhere between thick and fine

flat iron

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert? If it is not raining or humid ... I can last up to a week and a half before my roots start to revert and two weeks for the rest of my hair

What is your hair type? ummm I dunno 3c 4a I think

Are your strands thick or fine? my strands are thin but i have a ton of hair on my head

What method do you use to get it straight? my stylist blows it out with a conair yellow dryer w/ comb attachment and tehn she flat irons with a chi, ghd, or sebastian flat iron

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert? It starts to puff a little around the 4th day (in low humidity). It doesn't fully revert until I wash it.

What is your hair type? 4A/B

Are your strands thick or fine? Thick

What method do you use to get it straight? Blowdry/flat iron.

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert? As long as it's not really humid out, it'll stay straight until I wet it or put some type of water based product on it. It doesn't revert in cold weather.

What is your hair type? 4a/3c

Are your strands thick or fine? Fine

What method do you use to get it straight? Blow Dry and Flat Iron

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert? In the winter, a week or so. Anytime between May and October, 5 minutes or so.

What is your hair type? 4a all the way

Are your strands thick or fine? Thick

What method do you use to get it straight? At the salon the stylist used marcel irons on dry hair. When I tried it at home I airdried in twists then flat ironed.

About two to three reggae songs at a wedding..NO KIDDING. On that dance floor, my seven month post/ transitioning hair went from smooth and straight to an :afropick: with scraggly ends. My boyfriend found it quite funny (bastard:)).

What is your hair type? 4a/4b

Are your strands thick or fine? I'd say they're fine.

What method do you use to get it straight? This was a blowdry/flatiron.

pressing comb my hair will stay straght about 6 weeks, the edges may sweat out a little but nothing major...
a flat iron a week or maybe for 4 days havent had anyone be able to get my hair super straight at the roots with the flat iron, my niece has burnt my scalp with the flatiron but it still was puffy at the roots

What is your hair type?
4a

thick strands

pressing comb maybe once a year
flat iron maybe 3 0r 4 times a year

My hair reverts (or goes back curly) as soon as I put water on it. After the first wash my curls may hang a bit longer than normal but by the second wash I back to normal.

What is your hair type?
I am a 3c/4a.

I actually have lots of different textures and even strand thickness in my hair. Some strands are fine and some are thick.

I flat iron my hair to get it straight. But I straighten my hair rarely (mostly b/c I'm not good at it and it takes me too long to get mediocre results). :look:

Below are some pics of my hair "reverting":
Hairpicsandmisc023-vi.jpg

Hairpicsandmisc033-vi.jpg

Hairpicsandmisc038-vi.jpg

Next is a pic of my hair after wetting it completely, but it hasn't been washed or had anything else done to it.
Hairpicsandmisc049-vi.jpg

Sorry if I included too many pics. I just figure it may be easier to see what I mean if I included them. My curl size in these pics is mostly how my hair always is, but the curls themselves may be hanging just a bit looser than normal.

aside from tempreture/water/exercise my hair usually lasts about a week, anything longer than that is pushing it. I only straighten in the fall, winter and early spring any other time of the year it's just wasted effort.

What is your hair type?
I have never been good at hair typing my guess would be 3c/4a

fine
blow dry and flat iron

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert? All it takes is a little water and my curls come back full and strong ... EXCEPT for my heat damaged bangs. They won't fully revert until several washings later. I used much more heat on my bangs than I did on any other part of my hair, so they're kinda suffering right now. :ohwell:

What is your hair type? 3c/4a

Are your strands thick or fine? Mostly fine (especially in the front), but I have thicker strands too.

What method do you use to get it straight? Blow dry and flat iron.

In the winter I can go a week, summer, while I'm trying to straighten it. So 1/2 second

What is your hair type?
4a-z

Thick

Flat iron or electric comb

pressing comb my hair will stay straght about 6 weeks, the edges may sweat out a little but nothing major...
a flat iron a week or maybe for 4 days havent had anyone be able to get my hair super straight at the roots with the flat iron, my niece has burnt my scalp with the flatiron but it still was puffy at the roots

What is your hair type?
4a

thick strands

pressing comb maybe once a year
flat iron maybe 3 0r 4 times a year

Question: you go six weeks without washing?

Well if you have a hard time getting your roots straight then maybe there is hope for me b/c I was discouraged about going natural b/c my roots went "back" with a vengeance after only a couple of days.

It depends on the weather. In humid weather...about an hour non humid, about 4 days.

What is your hair type? 4B some a

Are your strands thick or fine? All types of strands all over the place.
some thick some fine some medium. (mostly medium)

Blow Dry and then either flat iron or electric hot comb.

And feel free to list any other variables you can think of.

Silicones help me keep straight styles longer. Chi Silk infusium is my fav.

Question: you go six weeks without washing?

Well if you have a hard time getting your roots straight then maybe there is hope for me b/c I was discouraged about going natural b/c my roots went "back" with a vengeance after only a couple of days.

My roots always stay bone straight until I wash...it's the length of my hair that starts to get puffy. I wouldn't mind it being the other way around, actually.:yep:

until i wash, i keep it straight for about 2weeks

What is your hair type?

4a

im not sure, i would guess somewhere in between?

blow dry, flat iron

I've never purposely kept it straightened for more than about 4 days, so I'm not too sure how long I could go....but I know once ANY moisture comes near my hair (in the air, 1 drop, ect) it's a wrap! Those curls want out! :lachen:

What is your hair type?

Mainly 3c/4a Texlaxed and 9 months into transition

Fine, most def.

I haven't found enough skills to roller set my hair yet (still working on that!) so I flat iron with IC Fantasia Heat Serum.

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert? For the roots about 1/8" reverts the next day and after 7 days about 1/2 -3/4" has reverted. My strands revert as soon as water touches them.

What is your hair type? 4b/a..I'm starting to think more 4b/c

Are your strands thick or fine? Fine

What method do you use to get it straight? Braid over night in 10 braids, flatiron the next day.

My tips:
Use SMB
Use Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir
Use Aveda DR IRT
Use lacio lacio

Last edited:
Hey ladies,

Just wondering, kind of a spinny from another thread I started earlier today.

How long does it take your natural hair or NG, once heat straightened, to revert? I flat iron weekly and it takes my NG 1-3 days to revert. This is because I work out 5 days a week and my NG sweats out. Usually it sweats out the first day in working out, which is why I decided not to go natural.

What is your hair type? I guess 4a (shrug)

Are your strands thick or fine? My natural texture is thiiiiiickk but my relxed is kind of thick.

What method do you use to get it straight? wash, dc, add leave in and serum. pibbs 10 mins, blow dry, flat iron.

And feel free to list any other variables you can think of. Maybe we will spot a trend! :yep:
answers in quote

I know besides working out my hair sweats out from sweating in my sleep (if its really hot), and using water based moisturizers, which I do not use since I wear my hair straight. I use nourish and shine.

One product that has helped-JUST FOR ME MEDIUM HOLD CONDITIONING JEL! da bidness! I have used it for gawjus braidouts and to tame my heat straightened edges. Surprisingly, it straightens and holds my NG without build up on my reverted NG, flat ironed hair:yep::drunk::grin:

Roots take 2 days to revert, it can last straight to 1 week - 2 weeks depending on how much I work out..

What is your hair type?
3 C- 4A
Fine
Hot Oil Treatment, Then Shampoo, Then DC with Redken Smooth down, sometimes I mix in Giovanni Deep Conditioner, I always add castor oil and maybe coconut oil....

Then I roller set with Giovanni Direct leave-in..Let air dry most of the time then sit under the dryer maybe 30 minutes..

Then I flat iron with conair flat iron, the one they show on the infomercials, i use the steam with end, it helps my ends not too be dry...with each section I add blue magic pressing oil and use the chasing comb..

Then I pincurl it and that's it... and I have a lot of body despite using pressing oil, I was surprised myself...

The trick is to find the right combination of products and technique...

Back