How long do you wait to protein treat after a relaxer?

How long should you wait to protein treat after a relaxer

• 2-5 days

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • 1 week

Votes: 79 55.2%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • longer than 2 weeks

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
stay away from hard protein treatments like Aphogee for at LEAST the first month after a relaxer.

i found this out the hard way.

i did a touch-up, then a week later did a hard aphogee treatment. all of my hair reverted. the newly relaxed hair became very wavy, almost 3B, and the previously relaxed hair kinked back up to 4a. i was very upset.

so i relaxed again the next day (i know, that's a BIG nono), and everything turned out okay.

bottom line, mild proteins are okay, but even medium proteins like the ORS replenishing paks will revert your hair to some degree when used within 2 weeks of relaxing (i found out the hard way with that, too.)
This just happened to me last week. I relaxed my hair bone strait and it was strait. Immediately afterwards I did the hardcrore Aphogee Treatment and my hair un-relaxed. I never would have believed it until I saw it myself. The end result was 3a/b curls all over. I was not happy.

This just happened to me last week. I relaxed my hair bone strait and it was strait. Immediately afterwards I did the hardcrore Aphogee Treatment and my hair un-relaxed. I never would have believed it until I saw it myself. The end result was 3a/b curls all over. I was not happy.
I remember reading Supergirl's thread explaining this. Since I read it, I now wait a week or two after relaxing before doing a mild protein treatment (I use Keraphix) and do one a week before relaxer day.
The good thing StillALady is that you didn't lose any hair or anything major like that. You have stronger hair, it just didn't get relaxed.

I would love to do it right after a relaxer but I'm too tired by then so I do an Emergencee 2 weeks later.. I wait 2 weeks because of something about waiting 1 week or so before washing hair after a new relaxer..

I apply my protein treatment within 7 days after my relaxer but not before 4 days of the relaxer. So I guess between 5-7 days after my relaxer.

I just started doing henna right after my relaxer and it came out great. I also found that I need a mild protein about a week later. I don't relax bone straight so a little reversion doesn't bother me.

bumping for myself...i think i need to do a hardcore protein (aphogee) i'm 2 weeks post and i'm experiencing more breakage than normal oh lawdy :(

Since I changed my relaxer to Phytospecific II and regularly use OCT/MegaTek, I have no need to apply extra protein to my hair. My hair care regimen is so simple now. Extremely happy with how it's growing.

I actually protect my strands with a light protein a few days b4 and then I do a protein tx after my relaxer, b4 my DC using the Affirm System

Before Affirm, I used Motions CPR. I believe that products also has it on the instructions to do after any chemical treatment right on the bottle. They say it is the best time for your cuticles to benefit from it.

Chemical relaxers remove protein from the hair, the best time is after you rinse the relaxer from the hair and befor neutralizier.

I actually protect my strands with a light protein a few days b4 and then I do a protein tx after my relaxer, b4 my DC using the Affirm System

Before Affirm, I used Motions CPR. I believe that products also has it on the instructions to do after any chemical treatment right on the bottle. They say it is the best time for your cuticles to benefit from it.
i agree i recently learned my lessons with slacking on protein treatments before and after relaxing

okay im confused soem of you guys are saying doing a protein treatment after a relaxer reverts the hair and then some of you guys are saying use a protein treatment right after rinsing out the relaxer and before neutralizing.. the latter makes more sense to me... i just dont get how in the world the hair reverts... after it is relaxed properly that is. Also what kind of protein treatment is good to use right after rinsing out the relaxer a mild one.. strong one .. let me know.. i havent been doing this and i would ike to start...i will start doing a protein treatment one week before my relaxer.

okay im confused soem of you guys are saying doing a protein treatment after a relaxer reverts the hair and then some of you guys are saying use a protein treatment right after rinsing out the relaxer and before neutralizing.. the latter makes more sense to me... i just dont get how in the world the hair reverts... after it is relaxed properly that is. Also what kind of protein treatment is good to use right after rinsing out the relaxer a mild one.. strong one .. let me know.. i havent been doing this and i would ike to start...i will start doing a protein treatment one week before my relaxer.

Co-signing with the bolded. As soon as you can get that protein back in the hair, the better and this is that time when it's best to do so. It rebuilds and fortifies the cuticle bonds of the hair immediately. I usually use Aphogee 2 minute treatment for about 5 minutes, wash out then neutralize my hair.

Now it depends on how you have been using protein treatments all along. Let's say that you hardcore protein treated your hair about 2-3 weeks prior to relaxing, then you'd only need a mild protein for the 5 minutes post relaxer treatment. Let's say that you have not been using any protein on your hair on a regualar basis, then I would recommend using a stronger, say moderate to hardcore protein for the 5 minute treatment, ok?

ok thanks.. i dont do my own relaxer so i wonder hwo imma convince the guy to do the protein treatment before neutralizing

I use aphoghee 2-minute 1 week before relaxing.

i put neutral protein filler in my relaxer

I use aphoghee 2-minute after neutralizing and before conditioning

I use aphoghee 2-minute 3 days-1 week after relaxing.

My relaxed hair is very thick and I don't have a problem with stick straight lifeless hair ever unless someone uses too much heat on it.

I don't do hardcores anymore. Stopped needing it when my hair stopped being so damaged.

I might have experienced this, too. I used Redken Real Control condish after my neutralizing shampoo. I left that perm in for 25-35 minutes and i have some 3c-like curls! But, no big problem.

When it was time for a touch up, I used to bring my Protein Filler. I would get it from Sally's BSS. "Betty" would mix some of it in with the relaxer she used to do my touch up.She would always follow up with a conditioner treatment under the dryer.

I would come away with hair that had body and swang. Not that stick straight thin "just permed" look.

My "Betty" was one of a kind. She encouraged me to bring in the products I used on my hair. She would use them to continue, as she put it, "the good job I was doing with my hair".

Sigh. I miss "Betty". When her husband retired she sold the salon and they retired to Florida.

Where in Florida did Ms. Betty go? Maybe she can do my hair.

I just got a Narobi relaxer done last Friday. Its OK, except my hair seem thin and lifeless. SO I thought I'd protein treat, but I am uncertain as to how long to wait before using a protein treatment. I have aphogee, if that makes any difference. Thanks.

I wash and condition on my regular schedule even after texlaxing so it would be within 2-5 days maximum to do a light protein treatment :grin:

i do the aphogee treatment for damaged hair a week b4 relaxing....

aphogee 2 min reconstructor after rinsing out relaxer

aphogee 2 min not more than 7 days after relaxing

I messed up and did the 2 step aphogee treatment the same day as my relaxer. My head was on fire! So I would go with the at least a week after relaxing.

Ladies, I will be applying a texturizer soon (transitioning from relaxer). Would a protein treatment be a goos idea a week before and after as well?

For those that use protein about a week after relaxer, do you use it as a prepoo or do you sit with it under the dryer after you shampoo?

Protien treetments can be done during relaxer, Rinse all relaxer from the hair and apply protein to hair the relaxer has opened the hair cuticle to allow the protein to go straight to the shaft and strengthen the hair. then neutralize with shampoo if you feel the conditioner has not neutrized and removed all the relaxer.

Back