How long do you stretch your relaxer?

femalegold

I'm trying to stretch mine until the 1st of January. I'm on month two.
I've been wearing a half wig that has helped me alot. I only wash my hair once a week. What other things should I do to keep my hair moisturized and healthy while going through this stretch.:) Has stretch helped you reach your goal faster.

Thank you in advance.

I usually relax 3-4 times a year, but this year (thanks to all that I've learned from the ladies :) ) I've only relaxed once this year - May and my next will be in Nov or Dec.

to keep it moisturized I've been using Vitapointe & baggie at night. Drench my hair in coconut, jojoba or monoi oil the night before I wash and my recent use of henna has strengthened my hair.

Last edited:
I relax my hair 4x a year...I moisturize & seal w/oil and wear my hair in a baggie/bun. I basically only comb my hair during the wash cycle which is 2x a week, so it's really low manipulation (I will brush my sides down & tie w/satin scarf before I get in the shower so it looks neat)..I deep condition every week...This has been working for me...my next relaxer is 1/1/07 and hopefully I will see major length.

Lately I stretch for about 8-10weeks because I cant wait to see how much longer my hair has grown. But this time Im doing my best to wait until 12 weeks at least.

Lkaysgirl said:
Lately I stretch for about 8-10weeks because I cant wait to see how much longer my hair has grown. But this time Im doing my best to wait until 12 weeks at least.

your hair is beautiful and so thick

So far I"ve only relaxed twice this year (March and July). I will more than likely be getting a touch within the next couple of weeks.

dlewis said:
your hair is beautiful and so thick

Yes, her hair is beautiful and guess what? yours is also dlewis...anyway don't want to highjack the thread..soooo back to the topic at hand...I relax every 10-12 weeks:) Honestly, I have never made it to 12 weeks always relax at 10 weeks BUT this time I am aiming for 12 weeks which will put my next touchup in December...which will be the end of the hide hair til xmas challenge and the APL challenge...come on 2 inches...come on 2 inches...anyway...yah...errrr...10-12 weeks...lol.

Last edited:
I relax every 12 to 16 weeks. Currently I'm 11 weeks post. I plan on relaxing on 11/18, before I go to NYC for Thanksgiving.

I can't wait either. My family hasn't seen my hair since February 2005:eek:
There going to be sooooo shocked.:lol:

I get relaxer touch-ups every four months. However, the last one I got only after three months. My new growth was fierce, and I couldn't wait until month four. :D

I stretch for 12 weeks my goal is 16 weeks. Right now I am on week 11 of my 14 week stretch.

I actually like stretching my relaxers. It seems to thicken up my hair or make it seem fuller, because my hair is fine. Stretching helps add body to my styles, my hair also feels stronger and healthier. I love getting to know the texture of my natural hair, I love to play in my new growth and moisturize it so that it is healthy and coily:p .

The only time I have any problems with my new growth is when I let it get dry. S-Curl Texturizer Spray & Africa's Best Kids Organics Shea Butter moisturizer make my stretching so easy...they even make me confident that I could go natural without any issues:D

I also wash and deep condition at least twice per week.

I'm 20 weeks post. I have no plan to relax anytime soon. I'm indecisive about whether to relax of transistion. If I relax, it won't be till the end of December.

I've stretched from 6 months to 1 yr. before

I usually relax every 4-5 months. However my last stretch was 8 months. I had no breakage or any problems. My goal now is 2x a year. I tinkit's easier to stretch this long because my hiar is texlaxed. I'm gonna keep using the phyto.

I am still testing the waters about how long I can stretch without breakage. I am currently on my 3rd stretch and I will relax at 12 weeks (11 weeks now...). Last stretch was 10 weeks, and the 1st stretch was 8 weeks. I will probably like to get to only relaxing 3-4 times yearly.

I can stretch up to 12 weeks now. Although for my last touch-up, I only went 11 weeks; I had ALOT of new growth.

I usually relax when I need it or my NG won't cooperate :D . That is usually about around the 8ish or 9ish week.

I usually go for about 10 weeks. This winter though, I'm aiming for 12.

I'm thinking about using s-curl to soften the new growth (which i haven't done before), and hoping it helps.

This board has inspired me to try and stretch. I was getting touchups at EXACTLY 6 weeks for the last few years. I'm going to go for at least 8 weeks, but I know that with the knowledge I've gained here (and some falls/phony ponies), I can go longer. I'll give it a shot and listen to what my hair says.

New growth is a good thing!

This is my first time ever stretching this long. I am currently 10 weeks and will be getting a relaxer at the end of next week making it 11 weeks. It was not that hard stretching I think I am just gettin anxious to see my growth, if any. I feel like when my hair gets LONGER I will stretch longer. I like up dos now and I can wear my hair pretty much how ever I want at work. Good luck stretching a lot of oil and moisturizer is the KEY

bablou00 said:
This is my first time ever stretching this long. I am currently 10 weeks and will be getting a relaxer at the end of next week making it 11 weeks. It was not that hard stretching I think I am just gettin anxious to see my growth, if any. I feel like when my hair gets LONGER I will stretch longer. I like up dos now and I can wear my hair pretty much how ever I want at work. Good luck stretching a lot of oil and moisturizer is the KEY

This is soooo true. BB Oil Moisurizer and BTZ Stiff Head are working wonders on my new growth right now. :yep:

I typically stretch anywhere from 10-13 weeks. :cool:

i only get 4 touch-ups a year. 2 of them are 12 week stretches. 1 may be a 9-10 week stretch. the last one will be a 14-18 week super stretch. i like to do at least 1 super stretch each year to gain some major growth. i learned about the super stretch from sylver2 ;)

Aint no stretching here!!! It is like my hair has an internal timer. At the 6th week, it becomes a metted mess.

I stretch for to about 9-10 wks and thats it. During those last two weeks, twistouts are really my friend.:cool:

I usually stretch up to 12 weeks. I am going to try 16 next time round. I want to gradually work my way to twice a year. The longer I wait to relax, I noticed I managed to retain overall thickness and health.

Back