How Long Do You Leave Your PS's In?

MizzBrit

for me,anything less than a month wont cut it..when i PS, i want it to be protected long enough to where i can give my hair time enough to grow an adequate amount to be retained, so my ps styles can range from 1-2 months max.whats the average time you leave yours in? have you retained more by leaving them in longer?

I wish I can be hardcore like you. The longest I left a PS in that wasn't with added hair was 3 weeks. My norm is 1-2 weeks but only because my nape starts locing or tangling up and I get massive frizz that even the scarf method doesn't help with. It's a work in progress though...

Dag girl 1 month??? Well no, that makes sense cuz you wear braid extensions a lot. If I make a PS last 2 weeks I think I'm a boss lol. I wanna try micro twists one of these days and see if I can keep the same set in for a month but I've spoiled my hair with the washing every 3-4 days so idk how im gonna do it but i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

ah i didnt kno 1 month was considered hardcore lol
well my PS are usually with weaves or wigs so hey..if it was my natural hair im sure it wouldnt last as long

1 month is hardcore? than i am a G cause i go 3-4 months psing. any less and i think im wasting my time.

been wearing my lf for like 3 months i think. i wash and dc every week. re-do braids every 4 weeks. my hair has grown a looot this winter.

i will be getting a weave and hope to leave it in for 3 months. my hair really really does best when i do absolutely nothing to it. i dont even think i need to moisturize it really.

i will enjoy my hair for like 2 months in the summer out. then i will be weaving it up again prolly. i want to be bsl-mbl in 2011 so i gotta put in the work.

Ahh I see now,1 month is hardcore for me because I don't use wigs or weaves as protective styles. My hardcore looks weak to the weave/wig wearers lol.

with weave/extensions 1-1 1/2 months. Real hair- 1 week. I can't keep my hands out of my hair when it's out. I like my scalp clean and to massage often with oils, so I'm constantly rinsing.

I agree the longest I've gone w/ a protective style was wearing a wig and it was keeping my box braids in for 2 months, and that's without ever rebraiding them. For the last two months for some reason I rebraided them back into the box braids one by one.

I'm not sure what I'll do for the summer, as I don't want to wear wigs, but we'll see!!!

Last edited:
Braid extensions I leave in for 2 months. It used to be 3 months before my hair journey, but I changed it to follow the advice of growafrohairlong. I have a new half wig which I am going to be using all the time now, as much as possible. Since my hair is looking like a HAM at the moment as it's part relaxed, part texlaxed, part natural, and buns don't seem to be helping my hair, so I'm abandoning them for now.

Braid extensions I leave in for 2 months. It used to be 3 months before my hair journey, but I changed it to follow the advice of growafrohairlong. I have a new half wig which I am going to be using all the time now, as much as possible. Since my hair is looking like a HAM at the moment as it's part relaxed, part texlaxed, part natural, and buns don't seem to be helping my hair, so I'm abandoning them for now.

What kinds of braid extensions or styles do you get to last so long? What do you do while wearing them? I'm asking because I'd love to find a braided style that lasts 2 months, without looking crazy.

I am doing my first month long PS, I have 8 more days to go!!!
this is really hard for me. after this I am going to try to make it 8 weeks

i'm a weekly washer if i get lazy..... i go no longer than 10 or 12 days....i do plaits and tuck them into a ponytail cause i wear wigs. weekly washing in addition to moisturizng and sealing keep the dryness in check, plus my monthly protein treatments.

two strand twists - three weeks
threaded hair - one month
braids - two to three months

And yes I have retained more length that way.

Depends on the PS. If I am bunning, I can only keep it in for the week. If my hair is braided with extensions or kinky twists, I keep these in for a minimum of two months. I do notice that I retain more when I keep a PS in longer, so when i feel like my hair isn't getting long enough- I definitely throw some braids in it or wig it up for a couple of months.

to answer
nothing last in my hair more than 3 days at a time before i look homeless

lately i've been plaiting my hair in 2 braids then putting on a slouchy beanie hat over it
even though i don't comb my hair i have to re-braid everynight because it gets to messy
i usually wear my bonnet under my hat so my hair doesn't dry out

when i wear twist, i keep them in for a week but after 3 days i have to hide them away under my hat because it looks messy.

so for me 1-7 days depending on what ps

Wigs and weaves I can understand leaving the hair alone for a month.
My ps' are usually small twists, medium twists, box braids, buns or plaits and flat twists. The smaller the twists, the longer I leave them in.
I've rocked plaits for a month + before...

What kinds of braid extensions or styles do you get to last so long? What do you do while wearing them? I'm asking because I'd love to find a braided style that lasts 2 months, without looking crazy.

Sorry for the late reply, I've only just found out a way of finding my quoted posts (me being a noob lol). The braid extensions I get are like this, but a little bigger:

stockxpertcom_black-hair-braids.jpg

And I achieved that same wavy look by doing a braidout after washing the braids. I would spray them with liquid moisturiser daily. I washed them once a week, with diluted shampoo and conditioner.

Sorry for the late reply, I've only just found out a way of finding my quoted posts (me being a noob lol). The braid extensions I get are like this, but a little bigger:

stockxpertcom_black-hair-braids.jpg

And I achieved that same wavy look by doing a braidout after washing the braids. I would spray them with liquid moisturiser daily. I washed them once a week, with diluted shampoo and conditioner.

Great braids pic!!!

cj

Back