how long do you condtion?

VelvetRain

Just curious what is the longest time you have had a non protein condtioner sitting on your hair? I find it extremely hard to follow the directions on a bottle of conditioner and leave it on for only five minutes. Normally my hair does not feel condtioned within this short period of time.

I've left conditioner on for an hour. I haven't left conditioner on for over 10 minutes since last year though. I need to start deep conditioning again.

I think I need to clarify my response.

deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner: overnight (no heat)

deep conditioning with a milk protein based conditioner (GPB, Coconut milk): usually overnight (no heat)

henna: overnight (some heat before going to bed)

other protein conditioners: a few hours with heat

I do daily conditioner washes.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Moisturizing Conditioners 3 to 5 minutes (no heat)

Protein Conditioners 10 to 20 minutes (with heat)

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto but w/o heat
smile.gif

The longest I have left mine in without heat is 3 hours! The reason for that is that I get caught up with cleaning my place and lose track of time easily. I haven't noticed any ill effects from it being in this long.

Hmmmm....I need to try a real deep conditioning someday. I never spend longer than it takes me to get a shower. I wear a plastic cap when I want a "deep" condition and it seems to work fine. I'm too lazy to get in and out of the shower twice
laugh.gif
And I have trouble doing it in the sink without getting tangles
ohwell.gif

I usually use heat for 30 minutes if deep conditioning. If just quick conditioning, then maybe 10 minutes while in the shower. I just wash and condition first and then put on my shower cap while shaving and whatnot.

I read somewhere that conditioners stop working after the recommended time, but I think that with heat they continue to work....

I leave in the Queen Helene cholesterol overnight once every few weeks after I take out my braids....

I have a question: I'm hearing that using protein conditioners more than a few hours for deep conditioning is actually bad for hair....is that true and why?

Because protein, while good for the hair, can harden the hair shaft causing breakage if overdone. They also raise the cuticle and can cause tangling. It's best to keep them on for the time recommended by the manufacturer, and to follow with a detangling mositurizing conditioner.

I usually do all my conditioning with my heat cap on for about 15-20 mins. (that includes protein conditioners)

If I'm being lazy, I'll leave the conditioner in w/o heat for about an hour, while I work out.
smile.gif

Moisturizing conditioners 20 to 30 min with heating cap.
Protein condtioners 20 mins under hooded dryer.
Conditioner washes 5-10 min

i can't leave them in for a few minutes either. it takes me more than a few minutes to put it in. I leave it in for a few hours because I'm too lazy to wash it out. I washed my hair last night and left the conditioner in over night and in the morning I sat under a dryer to heat the conditioner up and then I rinsed it out.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Moisturizing Conditioners 3 to 5 minutes (no heat)

Protein Conditioners 10 to 20 minutes (with heat)

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. I only get the protein conditioners when I get a relaxer.

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
overnight wa the longest but on average 2-3 hours without heat or 30 minutes under the steamer

[/ QUOTE ]

Alliyah, do you have a steamer at home? Where did you buy it?

I use:
moisturising conditioners - 15 to 30 mins (with or without heat)
protein conditioners - 10 mins (with steam from shower)

Oh dear, usual conditioners I wash straight out!

Lekair or lustrasilk, 10 minutes the most.

I think I need to leave them on a little longer, it's just that it gets boring in the shower after a while.

x

Back