How long did it take for you to REALLY get your hair?

Sui Topi

So my join date says I've been here I think since November 2007, but I have to say...I think I only really get my hair now. All the cowashing, growth oils, silk scarves and deep conditioners..:ohwell:. I mean they helped me a bit but like, I just realized last month that my hair has been over moisturized for well over a year, combs and my natural hair texture are not friends unless it is dry and I am combing out like a 1 inch section very carefully, wash and goes with my natural hair=single strand knots=tough feeling ends on straight hair, the order in which products are layered affects their performance, and butters are nice, but not necessarily necessary for my hair. It's kinda annoying when I think about where I could or should be now without all the trimming of single strand knots which I thought were scab hair, or breakage, and lets not forget my transition which was cut short because my over moisturized, gummy relaxed hair was like rubber bands left in the sun too long (I'm so mad at myself that I went to nappturality at that time and was won over by all that "just cut it and get it over with!" when all I needed to survive was some aphogee or a few egg treatments. I was so not ready to cut my hair but just got caught up in the hype and emotionally paid the price after I realized the style limitations on my hair).

Now, I just feel really excited at this year ahead of me. My hair is at a comfortable length, and I really feel equipped with the knowledge to really make it thrive and do what I want it to do. I feel like my goals are attainable and I am really seeing myself make progress (I decided in the middle of this month that I wanted 3" by June, and I am like less than a quarter inch away from march's 1" which is right on schedule) and I am finally at a point where my hair care is on auto pilot (you should have seen me last year, measuring my hair every chance I got. I couldn't care less anymore to measure it that often. I just checked around the middle and the end of the month to see if I was keeping on track with my personal challenge. Now that I can read my hair loss ex. what is breakage, what is shedding, I think I will just check at the end of the month as long is there isn't an increased amount of breakage).

Sistaslick's protein vs moisture article talks about the transition most go through when they really start caring for their hair. She says that usually when people first join they get on this moisture high until their hair is like gum and then they finally start to learn about the balance and all that. I think that the learning curve in hair care is a real thing lol obviously because I went through it, but I'm curious to hear other's stories. Especially the veterans or people with crazy long or super healthy hair that are hair idols and goals for the rest of us. Maybe this will help some newbies with balancing their hair routine and not end up wasting over a year like me.

Last edited:
Oh lol I forgot about my beef with straightening my hair. It just wouldn't work! My hair would look like I just blowdried it straight instead of flat ironed it. I had been co washing every day and barely deep conditioning. I started deep conditioning before flat ironing early this year and my hair came out really silky and moisturized and it looked and felt 10x better, but it was also really thin looking. Well, since I added protein to my regimen, now my hair looks thicker, holds on to the moisture and I'm not sure if its the manic panic I put it my hair or just because it's over all health is better, but my hair is glossy now instead of having a sheen.

I may be in the minority, but I pretty much figured out my hair right from the beginning. When I first found the board I think I took a month researching and reading old threads about different techniques, problems, solutions, etc. I don't even have a relaxer but I would read relaxed threads because there is such a wealth of information there as well.

Doing all that research allowed me to start off in a good place so I didn't have to do so much trial and error. I always say this but, we've had our hair our whole lives so we already know everything there is to know about it, even if it's just what it doesn't like. I used the knowledge I already had about my hair and combined it with what I learned here. I think the learning curve is necessary, but I think it can be shortened by starting off researching and getting good information.

Recently, I've stopped being in denial about the fact that my hair thrives in protective styles. I already knew that, but chose to ignore it. So, I'm getting back on track. Knowing that about my hair is important, but acting on it is a whole nother thing.

I may be in the minority, but I pretty much figured out my hair right from the beginning. When I first found the board I think I took a month researching and reading old threads about different techniques, problems, solutions, etc. I don't even have a relaxer but I would read relaxed threads because there is such a wealth of information there as well.

Doing all that research allowed me to start off in a good place so I didn't have to do so much trial and error. I always say this but, we've had our hair our whole lives so we already know everything there is to know about it, even if it's just what it doesn't like. I used the knowledge I already had about my hair and combined it with what I learned here. I think the learning curve is necessary, but I think it can be shortened by starting off researching and getting good information.

Recently, I've stopped being in denial about the fact that my hair thrives in protective styles. I already knew that, but chose to ignore it. So, I'm getting back on track. Knowing that about my hair is important, but acting on it is a whole nother thing.

That is really true. Wow that is so great that you were able to just get in on it like that. I just remember seeing the protein vs moisture threads and thinking they were so boring and my hair already felt soft compared to before so why do I have to worry about that for :nono:.

That is really true. Wow that is so great that you were able to just get in on it like that. I just remember seeing the protein vs moisture threads and thinking they were so boring and my hair already felt soft compared to before so why do I have to worry about that for :nono:.

That's how I felt about certain types of threads as well. If they were about relaxing, straightening, using commercial products, or anything else I didn't do, I was like why read them? But once I started reading them I realized there were all kinds of gems in them, especially about the science of hair, that were applicable to me. Now, I don't count anything out. And, I've never relaxed my hair but I could break down the relaxing process for someone better than some of the relaxed heads here can.

I just think it's important to learn as much as you can. You never know how it will benefit you. And, I think learning the science behind hair is important for everyone so now I'm focusing on that. I have to know how and why things work in order to want to use/do them.

I know what you are saying. I've learned I can go through phases, something is working then I become impatient or curious then try something new. I've learned if it is healthy and growing just continue the process but boredom often wins me over then a mini-disaster! I'm content now using what I have and ignoring or giving away the not good for my hair products-my cousins love the hair product gifts. Sui, how about the growth oil, has it been a benefit or a distraction?

I would say that it took about 2 years being natural for me to feel like I'm a bona fide pro when it comes to my hair. But I now have a handle on my hair and it's simple for me to tell what my hair needs.

I rotate through my tried and true products as needed. I don't have a schedule b/c I let my hair tell me what it needs. I can also quickly pick up on when my hair doesn't like some new product or technique that I've tried. So I can quickly stop doing things that are counterproductive.

I don't try many new products, b/c for every category I've found my "holy grail" products that I love. I even have back-ups to my holy grail products in case they get discontinued (which has happened to me before). I know my favorite shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, deep conditioners, oils, gels, etc.

Now I'm still a bit styling challenged, but hey we can't be perfect.

I know what you are saying. I've learned I can go through phases, something is working then I become impatient or curious then try something new. I've learned if it is healthy and growing just continue the process but boredom often wins me over then a mini-disaster! I'm content now using what I have and ignoring or giving away the not good for my hair products-my cousins love the hair product gifts. Sui, how about the growth oil, has it been a benefit or a distraction?

LOL your lucky cousins! I say it has definitely been a benefit, the only problem is my hair was coming off at the ends just as fast as it was coming out of the root because I was either cutting or breakage. Not to mention I wasn't really using it as often as I was in the beginning (I have gone months between usage :nono:) I've started back on it now religiously and I'm hoping that coupled with the fact that I really know what I am doing now, I can make up for lost time. I really think the key with growth aids is keeping the growth on your head and consistency. It just sucks when you look back at where you should have been but oh well! Gotta keep looking forward.

I would say that it took about 2 years being natural for me to feel like I'm a bona fide pro when it comes to my hair. But I now have a handle on my hair and it's simple for me to tell what my hair needs.

I rotate through my tried and true products as needed. I don't have a schedule b/c I let my hair tell me what it needs. I can also quickly pick up on when my hair doesn't like some new product or technique that I've tried. So I can quickly stop doing things that are counterproductive.

I don't try many new products, b/c for every category I've found my "holy grail" products that I love. I even have back-ups to my holy grail products in case they get discontinued (which has happened to me before). I know my favorite shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, deep conditioners, oils, gels, etc.

Now I'm still a bit styling challenged, but hey we can't be perfect.

I'm still trying out products, but so far I think I know what my hair really likes. I was just looking for a cheaper co washing conditioner that has little to no cones and I think I've settled on that pantene nature fusion moisturizing one. I really love it lol. The organic conditioner I was using before, I think I will keep it as a dc base or something. It was so expensive but it was so nice on my hair. I'm just going to ration it out lol. Once every other week or something.

You said it CONSISTENCY!!

I can say though! Despite all of that slackness like cutting out singles strand knots, breakage from trying to comb my hair over moisturied hair every day in the shower and not using the oil all the time because it was annoying (LOL I had to schedule time because massaging it in would ruin my hair style all the time. I had to remember to do it before bed when my hair had dried but you can imagine by that time I am ready to sleep and make excuses like "well, whats the point in putting it on just to wash it off again tomorrow morning. I'm tired, I'll just do it tomorrow" and the cycle continues...) mathematically, if I get 0.5" on my own with no growth aids, at the end of this month, I will be where I would be if I retained everything from when I cut my hair...that makes me excited about this year because I am going to retain all that plus what I get from the oil. Yay!

It took me no time (about a few weeks) to know what my hair liked and disliked. I'm trying different products, but they are products from the SAME family. I also experiment with oils and additives (SAA, panthenol, and others).

It took me about a year and a half or so to figure out exactly what my hair needs - down to the products. After the first six months, I had a general idea of what my hair was about....

I've been natural almost 2 years and I still don't really "get" my hair.

A lot of that time was spent in extensions and other protective styles where I didn't have to put up with it.

So, now I'm trying to learn what it needs and likes so I can take care of it instead of just dealing with it.

Last edited:
I wish I had paid more attention to the low-manipulation, protective styling info.
I think, as a beginner, I was way too focused on the products.
About 7 months and hundreds of dollars later, I began to understand and listen to my hair, she said, "please leave me the hell alone". So I did. My hair and my bank account are now doing very well. :yep:

To the bolded, you said it sister. I still research even with the new stuff. I think that is so important.

I, too, jumped on the moisture bandwagon. After I did my first cassia treatment it even things out. I've now switched to henna. I'm trying to go all natural/ayurvedic. So far it's a fun ride and my hair thanks me.

I've been on this journey since June 2007 and I'm finally at a good place with my hair. I still haven't figured out why I keep getting splits though.

Back