How has Pregnancy affected your hair growth? Poll inside

What changes in you hair did you experience during pregnancy?

• My hair grew faster than normal

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • My hair became thicker

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other (i.e. dryness, texture change) please explain

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • No change

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4bslbound

Hi ladies,

I'm very excited to be expecting my first baby this year!

But since I've never been pregnant, I thought I'd ask you ladies what you experienced as far as hair growth/loss.

Also, did your regi change during pregnancy and is there any advice that you can give about postpartum shedding?

Thanks in advance!:yep:

Hello,

I have three kids and i saw no change in my hair but then again I wasnt really paying attention lol. I wasnt big on prenatals either(too big) which probably could contribute to a positive change in a woman's hair in some way. Congratulations on your first baby though..its alot of fun.

Congrats, momma!!! My hair grew fast and thicker. I would comb my and literally have no hairs in the comb. About 6 months post baby, the shedding kicked in. Keep up the prenatals (get the cheap ones) after you give birth, I heard that helps. Also, black tea rinses really helped my hair. Have a happy and healthy pregnancy/delivery.

Another question, does everyone experience postpartum shedding. Or since every pregnancy is different, it varies?

Thanks IMFOCSD and MRS VERDE:)
I'm very excited to become a mother.

...and if pregnancy can give me a growth spurt, that'd be awesome. I'm not too concerned about shedding because my hair is ridiculously thick but then again I have heard horror stories.

Thanks IMFOCSD and MRS VERDE:)
I'm very excited to become a mother.

...and if pregnancy can give me a growth spurt, that'd be awesome. I'm not too concerned about shedding because my hair is ridiculously thick but then again I have heard horror stories.

4bslbound - Don't be afraid, but be concerned. I know a few women who ended up with bald spots. The shedding can be that serious.

Hello,

I have three kids and i saw no change in my hair but then again I wasnt really paying attention lol. I wasnt big on prenatals either(too big) which probably could contribute to a positive change in a woman's hair in some way. Congratulations on your first baby though..its alot of fun.

@4bslbound - Don't be afraid, but be concerned. I know a few women who ended up with bald spots. The shedding can be that serious.

That's good to know. :nono: If that happens to me, for sure I'll be in the HYH 2012 challenge:lol:

My hair definitely grows slightly faster while pregnant, and I don't attribute it to prenatal vitamins because I rarely take them (they make me feel nauseous). It's definitely one of the few perks of pregnancy. haha

As far as postpartum shedding, it's real. It doesn't happen right away (usually at least 3 months AFTER baby is born from my experience and others I know). So a lot of women assume they're not going to have it (like I did) and then BAM, hair all over the place. I only saw noticeable thinning at my edges, and they filled back in fairly quickly. No bald spots or anything. I'd definitely consider that (bald spots) extreme cases of PP shedding, not the norm.

ETA: Congrats on your pregnancy!

Last edited:
My hair definitely grows slightly faster while pregnant, and I don't attribute it to prenatal vitamins because I rarely take them (they make me feel nauseous). It's definitely one of the few perks of pregnancy. haha

As far as postpartum shedding, it's real. It doesn't happen right away (usually at least 3 months AFTER baby is born from my experience and others I know). So a lot of women assume they're not going to have it (like I did) and then BAM, hair all over the place. I only saw noticeable thinning at my edges, and they filled back in fairly quickly. No bald spots or anything. I'd definitely consider that (bald spots) extreme cases of PP shedding, not the norm.

ETA: Congrats on your pregnancy!

Thanks to both of the bolded!

I have 2 kids and with both pregnancies my hair grew faster and thicker. I had post pregnancy shedding, but it wasn't anything major. After a salon visit and trim, my hair looked better than ever!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I wanted to know this too considering I needed some growth spurt this year,lol. I don't know if my hair is growing fast becaues its always in PS, but with other pregnancies I remember seeing a difference in how full my hair looked.

As for PP shedding I don't remember that either because I wanted a makeover and ended up cutting my hair. However no bald spots. But this time I will keep track.

Congrats my hair grew faster & thicker also I did all of my shedding during my pregnancy. I was in the salon every week but I went from ear lenght ( asymmetrical bob tappered) to apl by delivery and no prenatal vitamins hyperemesis.

Congratulations!
My curls loosened while I was pregnant. It was pretty much just wavy. And for the first time in my life I didn't have to clean out the drain after I showered. I've always been a really heavy shedder but when I was pregnant it was literally none at all

Post partum shedding started maybe 3 or 4 months post partum and is stopping now at 6 months post. It seemed pretty bad for a while but I can see the thin spots filling in and little baby hairs popping up so I know I'm recovering

I had a very simple routine when I was pregnant. I wanted to avoid chemicals and I was mostly pregnant in the summer so I just put my hair up to stay cool

I recently had my first baby. When I was pregnant my hair grew thicker and faster. After I had my son, it seem to thin out. Quick tip, be extra careful with your edges... almost immediately after giving birth the edges of my hair thinned substantially. I looked so crazy, like I had a suppa receding hairline (It is growing back slowly but surely). Just make sure you are extra careful with those edges and don't put any tension on them, if possible. CONGRATS new mommy!!!

Congratulations to you OP :D

With my first my hair seemed to grow but not necessarily thicken but then started shedding a lot when I stopped breastfeeding. I'm pregnant now (for a few more weeks) and my hair hasn't grown tremendously but it is thicker and I'm not having my normal shedding...it has been fabulous! But I KNOW I'm gonna shed and I think i'm gonna have to be real careful of my edges. I usually wear ponytails or pulled back from my face (bad, i know) but the past few weeks I've noticed that my edges feel a little tender when doing my usual pony. I'm already getting all my shedding stuff ready (garlic conditioner, vites, sulfur oil) cause I have a feeling i'm gonna end up looking crazy if I don't stay on top of it.

The good thing is there are some good threads on here about postpartum shedding so I'll be trying a little bit of everything...lol.

my hair was just passing my bra strap and relaxed before i got pregnant...during pregnancy it would tangle, get matted, dry up and it broke off badly. I do not understand it though :ohwell:...people kept telling me that i was having a girl and she would be beautiful because she was stealing all my beauty (i had skin discoloration, chapped lips, bad acne, 63lb weight gain, terrible hair and a lot of dental problems) and when she came out, I would say she was beautiful:thumbsup: lol....so i blame my bad hair months on her...

Congratulations OP!
I just gave birth at the end of October. During my pregnancy my hair got thicker, it was already thick to begin with. As far as growth goes I'm not sure because a scissor happy stylist got a hold of me :( It seems as though I had a growth spurt since I had my baby. My mom told me that she also had a growth spurt after both of her pregnancies. Now at 5 months postpartum I noticed my edges thinning so I am combating that with Bee Mine since there have a formula for pregnant and nursing women

Hi ladies,

But since I've never been pregnant, I thought I'd ask you ladies what you experienced as far as hair growth/loss.

Also, did your regi change during pregnancy and is there any advice that you can give about postpartum shedding?

congratulation on your baby news!!!:yay:
when i was expecting my son, my hair grew like weed, thicker, very lush!
with my 2 girls, different story, it was very brittle, constatly dry no matter what and dull looking!

good luck!

my hair was just passing my bra strap and relaxed before i got pregnant...during pregnancy it would tangle, get matted, dry up and it broke off badly. I do not understand it though :ohwell:...people kept telling me that i was having a girl and she would be beautiful because she was stealing all my beauty (i had skin discoloration, chapped lips, bad acne, 63lb weight gain, terrible hair and a lot of dental problems) and when she came out, I would say she was beautiful:thumbsup: lol....so i blame my bad hair months on her...
afiyabirdie:lachen:

If that is her in your avatar, she is very beautiful!

Yeah, same here, I haven't been looking the beauty queen with this one. So I don't know what that means:perplexed.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I wanted to know this too considering I needed some growth spurt this year,lol. I don't know if my hair is growing fast becaues its always in PS, but with other pregnancies I remember seeing a difference in how full my hair looked.

As for PP shedding I don't remember that either because I wanted a makeover and ended up cutting my hair. However no bald spots. But this time I will keep track.

Congrats to you, too! As well as all the other mommies :yep:

Congrats my hair grew faster & thicker also I did all of my shedding during my pregnancy. I was in the salon every week but I went from ear lenght ( asymmetrical bob tappered) to apl by delivery and no prenatal vitamins hyperemesis.

Wow, that's amazing growth! sorry about your sickness (that junk is for real!)

I recently had my first baby. When I was pregnant my hair grew thicker and faster. After I had my son, it seem to thin out. Quick tip, be extra careful with your edges... almost immediately after giving birth the edges of my hair thinned substantially. I looked so crazy, like I had a suppa receding hairline (It is growing back slowly but surely). Just make sure you are extra careful with those edges and don't put any tension on them, if possible. CONGRATS new mommy!!!

Thanks for the advice. (I bought a wig. I was transitioning with sewins)

OH NO!that's kind of mean. Hopefully everything is back on track:yawn:

Thanks for all of the responses:)

My hair has always grown at a fast rate but when I was pregnant it grew like crazy. I retained all of my length and I didn't experience any post pregnancy shedding that was noticeable.

Congrats OP!!! I loved being preggo.

Hi ladies,

Congrats! I'm expecting my first this year too. I'm hoping with the vitamins It'll give me an extra boost to mbl and wl. lol hhj

My hair has always grown at a fast rate but when I was pregnant it grew like crazy. I retained all of my length and I didn't experience any post pregnancy shedding that was noticeable.

Congrats OP!!! I loved being preggo.

I would love to retain the length w/o shedding!

Another question, does everyone experience postpartum shedding. Or since every pregnancy is different, it varies?

I have had two boys and have never experienced post partum shedding. My sister has had a boy and hasn't experienced pp shedding either.

With both kiddies, I got ridiculous growth spurts and my hair was much thicker than it already is - happens to most people as shedding stops for the most part during pregnancy. But with both, I also had postpartum shedding. All of those hairs that weren't shed for 9 months start to come out. So, your hair is playing a little "catch up" so to speak. My hair is getting back to its normal thickness, but not thinner than it was before.

My texture has loosened up quite a bit during both pregnancies. But at the same time, I have gotten more length, so the weight of my hair could be pulling on the curl pattern a bit more.

I retained my length, but did recently do a trim, so I'm approaching WL.

Back