How far is too far?

breezy

On your quest for long/healthy hair, how far is too far? What won't you do to your hair, no matter how much growth it may give you?

Me, I don't do vitamins. Only b/c I am not a pill person. I hate to take pills. I get migranes and I still try to tough them out b/c pills scare me and I always gag them up.

What won't yopu do for rapid growth/retention?

For me, I won't go broke. I'm a pj but I have to fall back on every mega growth aid that hits the forum because I can see myself in the poor house over it :ohwell:

dang, Breezy...I was thinking the same thing earlier:lol: What made me think of it was all the threads about Cinnamon, Capsazin, MTG, MN, Jo Oil (that stuff with ammonia:eek: ) and now Vicks Vaporub! It just seems like too much, to me

Now pills I can do, but that other stuff ya'll can have those:)

i'll take pills, but not too many. i take 2 ultranourish hair vit and a silica vitamin. if a vitamin doesn't agree with me ie msm i don't take them. if it makes me feel yucky or threatens my health i don't do it. i am also off of the stinky challenge.

I don't believe in growth aids so I don't use anything to obtain "extra growth" or speed up my growth rate. I prefer instead to practice good hair care and use protective methods for retention, such as protecting my ends, minimizing heat usage, etc.

I have no problems with pills and SOME topical growth aids.. but definitely nothing TOO out there. Also, I know you were asking about growth aids specifically but I won't relax my hair to show its true length:look:

JLove74 said:
dang, Breezy...I was thinking the same thing earlier:lol: What made me think of it was all the threads about Cinnamon, Capsazin, MTG, MN, Jo Oil (that stuff with ammonia:eek: ) and now Vicks Vaporub! It just seems like too much, to me

Now pills I can do, but that other stuff ya'll can have those:)

vicks vapor rub? ok to each they own

breezy said:
On your quest for long/healthy hair, how far is too far? What won't you do to your hair, no matter how much growth it may give you?

Me, I don't do vitamins. Only b/c I am not a pill person. I hate to take pills. I get migranes and I still try to tough them out b/c pills scare me and I always gag them up.

What won't yopu do for rapid growth/retention?

Applying stinky potions to my head. No MTG for me... I just can't bring myself to do it. Eww... That and I'm allergic to some forms of sulphur and I'll break out. I'm not taking a chance...

I won't pop pills (I will gag them too), use MTG or jump on bandwagons. I'll change my diet, exercise more, drink tons of water. But I won't do the rest of that stuff.

Jkelly0204 said:
i'll take pills, but not too many. i take 2 ultranourish hair vit and a silica vitamin. if a vitamin doesn't agree with me ie msm i don't take them. if it makes me feel yucky or threatens my health i don't do it. i am also off of the stinky challenge.

what's a stinky challenge? is it the same as the dirty challenge? anyways i don't do challenges. i know myself well enough to know that as soon as i can't have or do something i wanna do it even more. i'm a little compulsive that way.:look:

One thing I won't do is wear fake hair. Usually when I tell people that I want long hair, they say " Why don't you get a weave?" For me, it's just not an option. I want my natural hair to be long or nothing at all.

I have to admit, I have been rubbing some MN and Capsazin on my scalp so I'm all for the topical growth aids! Vitamin pills I don't do at all, so I take Vitaball gum.

Personally, I cant go without washing my hair and I am too scared to put anything that smells strange on my hair. That includes the aveda Brilliance line.

Good question Bree. Another Breezy production. :lol: This seems to change for me every year.:lol: I was a "I would never put a plastic baggy on my hair" type of person, I now baggy every night.:lol: Then I was on the "I'm not popping pills" rant, I now take 3-4 growth aids a night.:lachen: Though the pills are tiresome and I am going to quit sometime soon. I mean I am already at BSL, and I have 5-6 inches to be a lower WSL.

Anyways, what I won't do..hmmm. Being honest there isn't too much that I wouldn't do. Of course speaking that Iw ouldn't do anything to harm myself or my health. MTG, I would do it now as I am a college student and it is acceptable, but if I was in a corporate work environment, not so, I don't think I would be taken seriously smelling like bacon.:look: I guess the only thing that I wouldn't do is protein pills, I am not trying to get fat over my hair. Long hair+a fat body=sooo not worth it for me.

I dont do extremes...just vitamins :lol: All of the other things are too time consuming. The most healthiest heads of hair I have seen have very simple regimens and dont use MTG or any of those topical growth aids. Therefore I dont feel the need to try any of it.

I can't think of anything I won't do. I guess If I had to eat something gross to get longer hair I wouldn't. Or gain weight but all the stuff on the board is fair game. I am usually just too lazy to try doing most of the stuff.:ohwell:

I will admit that when I first joined I tried any and everything, now I am pretty much back to the basics, because doing all this stuff really didn't seem to make much of a difference.

no homemade concoctions (fish grease + hot sauce). Now, even though i'm not a pill person i'll take them every now and then. I even use MTG and WGO but that's about as far as it goes.

For my hair, nothing is off limits.:grin: As far as supplements go, I will try anything because any supplement that is benefical for the hair has other benefical things as well. Biotin helps my energy levels and helps my digestion so would take it even if I didn't know it helps hair health. The stinky topical stuff really doesn't bother me either. I mean if it helps do what you need then go for it. As long as something doesn't cause health problems then I will try it.

Forgot to add, not fake hair for me. No weaves or braids. Partly because I am allergic to the chemicals in it. If if weren't for that I would try some braids but no weaves, ever.

Last edited:
dlewis said:
No MTG, weaves or wigs (only because DH hates them).

Me too dlewis. I'm dying to get one of those falls that Kinikakes looks so pretty in, but dh hates fake hair so none of that for me :mad:

weaves and wigs
relaxers
monistat, MN or any of that other stuff
anything that has ammonia in it, WTF?
Too many pills, I take MSM and a multi

Ayeshia said:
I dont do extremes...just vitamins :lol: All of the other things are too time consuming. The most healthiest heads of hair I have seen have very simple regimens and dont use MTG or any of those topical growth aids. Therefore I dont feel the need to try any of it.

Remembering this has kept me away from current trends in fast hair growth. Focusing on retention is hard enough as it is :p .

rdm said:
Personally, I cant go without washing my hair and I am too scared to put anything that smells strange on my hair. That includes the aveda Brilliance line.

uggghhh...that ish smells like MOLD. :barf:

Growinpainz said:
no homemade concoctions (fish grease + hot sauce). Now, even though i'm not a pill person i'll take them every now and then. I even use MTG and WGO but that's about as far as it goes.
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

breezy said:

I can't do MTG anymore, one month of smelling like bbq bacon bits was enough for me. I could never do coochie cream on my head...it could work, but I'll never know.

I was thinking about getting a lacefront, but the glue issues have completely put me off that line of thinking.

dlewis said:
No MTG, weaves or wigs (only because DH hates them).

OK...DLewis...I am loving your hair!! The shine, the curls...:D Lovely.

For me, I am not one for making a concoction in my kitchen and slapping it on my hair.....mayonnaise, raw eggs, vinegar.....none of it. I did mayonnaise once and that was it. I smelled like chicken salad all day in my house and it was a greasy mess in my shower. I'll stick to store bought.....

I take vitamins...but in the form of gummy bears! Because it is like candy to me, sometimes I take too many :look:

nvybeauty said:
OK...DLewis...I am loving your hair!! The shine, the curls...:D Lovely.

For me, I am not one for making a concoction in my kitchen and slapping it on my hair.....mayonnaise, raw eggs, vinegar.....none of it. I did mayonnaise once and that was it. I smelled like chicken salad all day in my house and it was a greasy mess in my shower. I'll stick to store bought.....

I take vitamins...but in the form of gummy bears! Because it is like candy to me, sometimes I take too many :look:

I took gummy vitamins for a while, it was good the first week or two but then i started noticing "the taste." you know that vitamin-y taste. after a while they made me gag.

breezy said:
Me too dlewis. I'm dying to get one of those falls that Kinikakes looks so pretty in, but dh hates fake hair so none of that for me :mad:

Ladies, I am loving my fake hair! I got a half wig over the weekend and fell in love. It is my first one but now I am hooked. The half wig is about the same length of my own hair (about APL), is about the same style (straight, slightly layered, with a slight bounce) and it has some highlights.

Matter of fact, it has slightly more highlights in the front so it allows me to see how I would look with highlights (without damaging my own hair). I wear my own hair in a bun or a wrap, put on the wig and a head band, and I go about my errands. I love it! I wore it to the gym, to the mall, etc. What was odd was that I got my own hair down that very morning, went shopping, tried on the wig, and bought it. The Asian lady at the store was surprised that I was buying it because she said I had nice hair and that the wig was much like my own hair.

What she doesn't know is that when my hair is not done (i.e., when the Dominicans don't do it), it looks a hot mess. With the wig, I can go about daily activities with my hair looking "done" and not worry about my hair frizzing up, sticking out, drying out, going flat, etc. I can now run out the house and not think about running into someone just wearing a plain ponytail. My do is done all the time!

Love it :grin: . ...and it is not permanent (unlike a weave).

Back