How Do You Wash Your Hair With Braids??

Wolftrap

I am confused. Do you use seabreeze or witch hazel or just regular shampoo? I have read all of that on this board but didn't know what I was supposed to do. I just got my hair braided and it hasn't even been a week and this stuff is itching like crazy. I wanna wash it so bad but I'm not sure how or what to do. Someone help me out please!:confused:

You can wash your braids by putting shampoo in a container and adding water [shake/stir to mix]. Now pour the mixture over your braids, massage your scalp [leave on for a few minutes if its and anti-dandruff shampoo], then rinse [and repeat if you choose].

Hmmm... I am not sure what their purpose is. I know that sea breeze is an astringent. Theoretically, it could help if your scalp is oily, as for helping with itching I do not know… I have seen it being discussed in the forum so maybe someone else can help.

Last edited:
reformatio said:
You can wash your braids by putting shampoo in a container and adding water [shake/stir to mix]. Now pour the mixture over your braids, massage your scalp [leave on for a few minutes if its and anti-dandruff shampoo], then rinse [and repeat if you choose].
That's just what I do :)

Wolftrap said:
so where does the witch hazel and sea breeze come into play? Why use that?
The seabreeze is actually what a lot of people use in place of actually washing the hair. Some braiders stress that the hair shouldn't be washed while wearing braids and they recommend seabreeze to cleanse the scalp. Witch hazel may also be used.

HTH

I actually wash it, using dilated conditioner and rose water (along with ordinary water)

Sometimes I use stocking on my head to keep the braids in tact.

x

dontspeakdefeat said:
The seabreeze is actually what a lot of people use in place of actually washing the hair. Some braiders stress that the hair shouldn't be washed while wearing braids and they recommend seabreeze to cleanse the scalp. Witch hazel may also be used.

HTH
Really? I think the seabreeze would work better for me especially because my braids are not even a week old and I don't want to mess them up. But isn't seabreeez very drying? I guess I'm going to have to oil my scalp well after that.

I have used Seabreeze to help relieve the itching that I had only a couple days after. There is also an oil that can relieve itching---sorry, can't remember who makes it. There are also specially designed hair nets that you use to wash your hair with.

For those who have their hair braided with human hair extensions, washing the conventional way will casue the extensions to swell( mess up). So using Seabreeze to clean the scalp is a way to keep from wetting the hair.

I think that the moisture is a MUST when you're braided and for that reason I forgo the human hair extensions even though they look better to me.

Wolftrap said:
Really? I think the seabreeze would work better for me especially because my braids are not even a week old and I don't want to mess them up. But isn't seabreeez very drying? I guess I'm going to have to oil my scalp well after that.
Yes it is drying and you will have to keep your scalp oiled. Good luck!

Thanks for posting this thread. I have only washed my hair once in the last several days. I mixed shampoo and water in a tumbler/large cup and poured it over my scalp and braids. I used the information I found on the growafrohairlong website. I did not tussle (is that a word) my hair around. I have had the braids almost 2 weeks and already my hair is sticking out of the braids. Do you think this is because of the washing?

I use Organic Root Stimulator's Herbal Clense "Dry Shampoo" if there's build up on my scalp and I don't feel like washing it. I wash with diluted Elucence or CON diluted using Den1's stocking cap method , and IF there's residue I use a clarifying shampoo or Carol's Daughter Herbal Rinse(I think thats the name). I have good results when I take my hair down.

I also use diluted shampoo to wash my braids. Except, because I have human hair braids, I choose to use a mesh shampoo cap that I found at Sally's for braids and locks. I plait my hair in 5-6 sections, put it in the cap, and run diluted shampoo through it several times, followed by thorough rinsing. Using this method, I find that my braids look fresher at the end of the shampoo process. My braids tend to loosen when I don't use the cap. Maybe they're not done tight enough, but I don't mind because I don't like tight braids.

SandySea said:
I also use diluted shampoo to wash my braids. Except, because I have human hair braids, I choose to use a mesh shampoo cap that I found at Sally's for braids and locks. I plait my hair in 5-6 sections, put it in the cap, and run diluted shampoo through it several times, followed by thorough rinsing. Using this method, I find that my braids look fresher at the end of the shampoo process. My braids tend to loosen when I don't use the cap. Maybe they're not done tight enough, but I don't mind because I don't like tight braids.

Thanks SandySea that helps.

Back