HOW DO YOU USE STEAM ROLLERS

Evolving78

I wanted to buy some steam rollers, but I'm wondering how to use them. For those that use them; do you use it on wet or dry hair, I read something about using end papers and oil, can you roll your hair in any style or you have to do it like a regular roller set, do you have to damp your ends prior to rolling your hair, how long should you leave them in, and how to avoid getting your hair wet and frizzy from them?

shortdub78 said:
I wanted to buy some steam rollers, but I'm wondering how to use them. For those that use them; do you use it on wet or dry hair, I read something about using end papers and oil, can you roll your hair in any style or you have to do it like a regular roller set, do you have to damp your ends prior to rolling your hair, how long should you leave them in, and how to avoid getting your hair wet and frizzy from them?

Use them on dry hair. Some people use end papers for a smoother finish, but I think it's a matter of preference and you'll find out how your hair reacts to it through trial and error. Don't damp the ends, the steam on the rollers will be enough moisture to get your hair to curl and leave them in your hair long enough to cool down to avoid frizz. You can roll them however you like for whatever style you're trying to achieve. I leave mine in for 15-20 min (I do other stuff while they are cooling). I take them out, use a little frizz free serum and oil, finger comb and ready to go.....

They are made to be used on dry hair. What I do is part the section of hair that I want to roll. Then I place the roller on the steamer for about 5-7 seconds. It takes a little trial and error to figure out how long works best for you. Then I take it off of the steamer and immediately roll my hair and apply the cover. I repeat the process over my entire head. I mix in the smaller rollers with the jumbo rollers to get a curlier effect. I try to leave the rollers in for at least 30 minutes to set. Then I remove them and finger style.

If I don't have time to do this in the morning, I'll do it the night before. After I remove the rollers, I pin my hair up on top of my head to protect the curls. Then the next day all I have to do is take down my hair and the ends are still curled.

I've never used end papers, but that's because I don't know how to use them properly and it would take me all day to roll my hair. But if your hair is wet/damp before you start, your hair won't dry properly and you'll get limp or frizzy curls. This will also happen if you leave the rollers on the steamer too long.

HTH

myco said:
They are made to be used on dry hair. What I do is part the section of hair that I want to roll. Then I place the roller on the steamer for about 5-7 seconds. It takes a little trial and error to figure out how long works best for you. Then I take it off of the steamer and immediately roll my hair and apply the cover. I repeat the process over my entire head. I mix in the smaller rollers with the jumbo rollers to get a curlier effect. I try to leave the rollers in for at least 30 minutes to set. Then I remove them and finger style.

If I don't have time to do this in the morning, I'll do it the night before. After I remove the rollers, I pin my hair up on top of my head to protect the curls. Then the next day all I have to do is take down my hair and the ends are still curled.

I've never used end papers, but that's because I don't know how to use them properly and it would take me all day to roll my hair. But if your hair is wet/damp before you start, your hair won't dry properly and you'll get limp or frizzy curls. This will also happen if you leave the rollers on the steamer too long.

HTH

Do you think a 4a natural could do this and I should use some Let's JAm straightening balm or Vidal Sasson or Frizz Ease prior to putting the rollers in? What do you mean immediately roll my hair and apply the cover? You have to put a helmet on while the rollers are on?

Thanks

chica_canella said:
Do you think a 4a natural could do this and I should use some Let's JAm straightening balm or Vidal Sasson or Frizz Ease prior to putting the rollers in? What do you mean immediately roll my hair and apply the cover? You have to put a helmet on while the rollers are on?

Thanks

LOL. Each roller comes with an individual plastic cover that holds it in place instead of pins. For that reason I want to say that it can be hard to get contanst tension on the hair at the roots sometimes. I know that when I'm 10 or 12 weeks post relaxer my newgrowth can get puffy from the extra moisture. So I would think that naturals would experience the same thing. I think you would have to play around with them to make them work for you.

I don't know if a straightening balm would do you any good, because you're adding moisture directly to the hair. I think a smoothing polish after the fact would be okay though.

myco said:
LOL. Each roller comes with an individual plastic cover that holds it in place instead of pins. For that reason I want to say that it can be hard to get contanst tension on the hair at the roots sometimes. I know that when I'm 10 or 12 weeks post relaxer my newgrowth can get puffy from the extra moisture. So I would think that naturals would experience the same thing. I think you would have to play around with them to make them work for you.

I don't know if a straightening balm would do you any good, because you're adding moisture directly to the hair. I think a smoothing polish after the fact would be okay though.

Thanks alot. I really was having a hard time understanding.:look:

I don't know if something is wrong with my hair or not cause I put leave-in conditioner in it after co-washing and it remains pretty straight and feels coated.:confused:

Thanks again.

Back