ARE HEATED ROLLERS GOOD FOR BLACK HAIR

HAVE YOU USED HEATED ROLLERS?

• Total voters
My hair dresser said they leave black hair frizzy...is this true for any of you?

Do heated rollers work best on wet or dry hair? If you use it on wet/damp hair will it come out smooth?

How long do you keep them in?

Thanks!
I used to use them when my hair was relaxed....I had a set from babyliss. I used it on dry hair and it worked well

I use Carusos and Hot Curlers.

I have a Remington Caresetter that I use but not often. I use it when I am rushing or when I know that my hare is not going to cooperate with Carusos.

My Caruso are used almost everyday! I use end papers on mine. I love my Carusos. :yep:

I started off with the Remington Heated Rollers. At first i started off add Dove moisturizer on the ends on my hair and then rolled my hair. I did this for about two weeks and then i got lazy and just would roll my hair. Well that in turn dried my hair and i had a lot of shedding. I tried to get the moisture back in my hair but i couldn't using the Remington rollers.

I am now using the Caruso Rollers for a week now and there is no shedding. I noticed that the foam turned you off...in the beginning when i saw this was like this is not going to work but i have to say they work just as well a sthe Remington rollers plus adding moisture at the same time.

I leave the roller on the steam for about 5-7 seconds and roll my hair. I leave them in my hair for about 30 mins. I have a picture in fotki with a caurso roller set.

I think Hot rollers are, well - HOT! Too hot in most cases. I don't think it is good to use them often. I could only use them once in a blue moon only! and even then I could only leave them in for a few seconds because they are so hot.

Carusos are so much better for my hair if I need to use them often. But, the hot rollers - NOPE! They are backup only.

Too much heat is not good. Try using them sometimes.Roller set most of the time no heat. Work for me no heat. To me if you roller set no heat you hair tame to that style.
To much heat and hair breaks. Try wraping the hair with Evoo and cover the head to get
a great style for the next day without heat. make sure to brush the hair around the head.

I used Carusos when texlaxed and relaxed with no problems. Just moist, bouncy, soft curls! Tasty, in other words, LOL.

I haven't used heated rollers, just curling irons (not good!) in the past. I prefer Caruso rollers which uses steam instead of heat to quickly set the hair (dry hair) with beautiful curls. Some of the ladies may call this heat but actually no heat is touching the hair, just moisture. :)

I prefer Caruso as well...beautiful and wonderful curls.

ETA: I am relaxed.

Last edited:
I would not give up my hot rollers for anything! I've used them for years with wonderful results and zero damage. I'm natural by the way and I use hot rollers when my hair is pressed. I don't have to use them daily either, because the curls really last. Oh, and they work incredibly fast. I can put them in and take them out five minutes later. Boom I'm out the door!

I'm going to read that caruso thread to see how many pressed or flat ironed naturals liked them.

Last edited:
I just broke out my Caruso rollers tonight. I haven't used them in a while, but I thought I'd play with them a bit. I love them!!! In ten minutes I can get curly hair with no damage.

when I use hot rollers to add more body, I have to flat iron my ends to avoid frizzy ends with the rollers, if I just blow dry my hair and use the hot rollers my ends look awful, I use heat protectant and only flat iron the ends if I want to have more of a fluffy hair style and not so sleek, the flat ironing first just works better for me in combo with the hot rollers, I also let my hot rollers sit for a while to make sure they are hot enough and let them stay on my head until they cool completely.

I think I have the Jilbere hot rollers which sell like hot cakes at Sally's.

*forgot to answer the ? on if they are good, I don't see a problem with them as long as you use some sort of heat protectant and you use the ones with the velvety coating, they don't get that hot to me so it should be a lil' less damaging than flat ironing.

Last edited:
i have the ones that use steam. the steam is light and curling time is quick. they make beautiful healthy curls.

CARUSOs baby! My Caruso console broke and I went out and purchased a cheapie set at Target by Remington. :nono: They dried my hair out, and the curls dropped every single time, and had me looking like a frizzy mess. I will definitely replace my Carusos.

I use the Vidal Sasson ionic hair steamer only to maintain my flat iron. It works well for me at least I don't have to flat iron every day. My hair doesn't get frizzy it comes out really well.

This may be a dumb question but are heated rollers and steam rollers the same thing or are they different?

Good Question^^^^ I have had my Caruso for a week now and love it! I'm mostly natural and the last pic in my Pinki strips is my Carouso set at the end of a 16 hour day, four days into my wash, and I work out too( daily that particular week)....so....
I'm so addicted to it, I wonder if anyone's had damage from using them too much (2+ times a week)?
I think the Caruso is better b/c it uses steam and the heat source is from hot water, not heated irons

They worked awesome for my hair! They are the golden ticket to fast bouncy shiny curls when you are in a hurry.

They function using heat and there lies the danger.

Last edited:
They work best imo with straight hair. At least that's when I have seen my best results with them.
They give me great volume after my hair has fallen flat from product use.

I heat them up for a while in the morn while I eat bfast , watch news, brush my teeth, etc. I put them in (without even trying to be neat) hop in the shower, take them out, finger comb and all done!
Hth!

Are Carusso curlers the steam curlers? Because they make my hair a frizzy mess. What am I doing wrong?
Do/did you leave the curler on the steamer too long? It only takes about 5 seconds seriously. In this case, more isn't better!
BTW: I'm a 4a-b nearly natural (see below)

They worked awesome for my hair! They are the golden ticket to fast bouncy shiny curls when you are in a hurry.

They function using heat and there lies the danger.

Both? Heat rollers or steam rollers? and are they the same or not?

Love my Caruso's...I have 2 sets just incase one ever dies on me...and I agree with putting a lil bit of serum on the ends before you roll up your hair. Also I usually use them on 5-7 day old flatironed hair and it comes out bouncy and silky. The curls last all day and by the end of the night it loosens up into sexy waves :)

Are Carusso curlers the steam curlers? Because they make my hair a frizzy mess. What am I doing wrong?

^^ you may be leaving the roller on the steamer for too long. Only leave it on for 6-8 seconds.
Are you setting on dry hair? You should.
Do you shake off the excess moisture before rolling the hair up? You should.
Are you using s serum on your ends? If you need it. Only use a little
Are you steaming the caps? Don't.
**Some people use endpapers to further prevent frizz but I don't.

^^ you may be leaving the roller on the steamer for too long. Only leave it on for 6-8 seconds.
Are you setting on dry hair? You should.
Do you shake off the excess moisture before rolling the hair up? You should.
Are you using s serum on your ends? If you need it. Only use a little
Are you steaming the caps? Don't.
**Some people use endpapers to further prevent frizz but I don't.

I made the mistake of moisturizing my hair before I put the steam rollers in and I hardly got a curl. Your hair should be dry when you put them in.

Back