HOW DO YOU USE CURL ACTIVATOR?

alanaj

I am newly natural. I'm talking 3 days ago I did the BC. Now I've been reading blogs and fotkis and trying to see how to get curl definition. So many ladies have been raving about curl activator. So I bought the World of Curls brand because none of the other good ones are available in Trinidad.
OK so I tried it out once and my hair came out dry yet greasy!:ohwell: Worst of all it had less curl than before I put it in! So, I am completely clueless. All the instructions t hat I can find on using it are on the bottle because all you ladies just say I use curl activator.
Can someone please tell me the steps?
I'd be forever grateful cus I want some bomb curls!

I am newly natural. I'm talking 3 days ago I did the BC. Now I've been reading blogs and fotkis and trying to see how to get curl definition. So many ladies have been raving about curl activator. So I bought the World of Curls brand because none of the other good ones are available in Trinidad.
OK so I tried it out once and my hair came out dry yet greasy!:ohwell: Worst of all it had less curl than before I put it in! So, I am completely clueless. All the instructions t hat I can find on using it are on the bottle because all you ladies just say I use curl activator.

Oh boy, I did the same thing when I became natural and I hate that brand. I never did get the curl definition that everyone else got. But from what I see, you would need a Denman brush and some IC Fantasia Gel. I have the green kind and it just sits on my hair. Supposedly, the blue kind is the best gel to get curls with. Basically you detangle using the denman brush and put the gel on first. Your curls should pop soon after. Check out Youtube and put in define curls natural hair. Ladypknyc ( i think thats her name) has some great videos talking about this.

Hope this helps...

i used world of curls once and it was pretty greasy for me too. now i don't use curl activator i mainly stick with heavier moisturizers and they tend to give me the weight and curl def that i like (shea butter based moisturizers work best for me).

i also agree with jetbeauty; using a gel can give you the look you want as well. i found that over time my natural curl pattern became more defined and i didn't have to use gels or curl defining products to get that look. so, finally, i recommend maintaining moisture in your hair and this will promote better curl :)

I used Worlds of Curls in the 80's when I had a Jheri Curl. As a natural, I bought some last year, used it once, and put it under the bathroom sink. :nono:

I use Aloe Vera Gel for curl definition. Also, Sunsilk Captivating Curls Gel & Cream Twist is great for curl definition. It's not a natural product but I love it...I use with with castor oil.

If you have access to a Target (apologies for my ignorance, I've never been to Trinidad), you should be able to purchase Sunsilk and aloe vera gel.

HTH

When my hair was much shorter, I'd just do a simple co-wash and then rake the CAG through, but I never tried the WOC brand I don't seem to think. Currently, I still do this but rather than raking through, I'd apply the CAG in sections now, chasing it with my denman brush sometimes. My main staples of CAG are Smooth 'n Shine, Long Aid and Hawaiian Silky.

I'm still trying to find a curl activator that works well for fine, processed hair. I'm 7 months into my transition and I do not plan on doing a BC at all (but instead will be doing mini-chops every couple of months). I find that a lot of curl activators weigh the hair down and make it seem less curly.

Anyway, I just wanted to bump this for the OP =]

Remember not to force your hair into something that it may not be.
One of the biggest mistakes newbie BCers make is looking at other fotkis of the hair that they want.

Try looking at fotkis of those that have the hair that you have.
It will save you money, time, and heartache. Congrats on your BC!

Remember not to force your hair into something that it may not be.
One of the biggest mistakes newbie BCers make is looking at other fotkis of the hair that they want.

Try looking at fotkis of those that have the hair that you have.
It will save you money, time, and heartache. Congrats on your BC!

I am strongly considering going natural again when we return to the US...maybe I will transition to make it easier on hubby. :)

This is wonderful wisdom; I have the tendency to WANT my hair to look like Lisa Bonet's and I am 4a ALL DAY!!! lol

cj

Thank all of you.
So far I've been trying just about everything since I'm finding that what worked for the transition period doesn't necessarily work now.
RMichelleM thanks for the hint on the shea butter, it seems to be doing a good job for softening the hair and that I guess will help curls form.
I'm also going to try using my denman with the gel. I have a feeling the shrinkage will be something awesome with that method but I'm still willing. THANK YOU TO ALL!

Back