how do you take out strawsets of permrods with out damaging your hair

lucky8502

Hey ladies I had a quick question,
how do you take out strawsets or perm rod sets with out damaging your hair and how do you keep them moisturized without damaging them

When I got strawsets in past, she didn't keep them moisturized, but she unraveled from the bottom in the same direction as the swirl/twist.

I believe spiral curls use the same process as strawsets...when I did those - I made sure I sprayed each section as I went along with water, then applied leave in and I 'sealed' the ends w/coconut oil.

When I took down I unraveled slowly, again in the same direction as the curl itself w/no damage.

I only kept them for a day or two because of protective styling and my hair coils inside each curl and creates tangles so I can't wear styles like that to long.

HTH

edit: Day two I just reapply a little coconut oil to the ends and through out the curls so moisture was not a problem.

I think it has a lot to do with what you're setting your hair with too... A setting lotion/mousse with a very firm hold or too much setting lotion/mousee is going to give you crispy, hard to moisturize, breakage prone spiral sets. Motions Foaming Mousse and just a little at that, works well for me when I do a flexi-rod set. And if you put a little oil in your hair, just a few drops before you put the setting lotion/mouse in, and just a few drops after, your curls will hold and still be soft enough not to lead to breakage.
I moisturize with my flexi sets in, I rub a moisturizer in my hands and kind of pat and squeeze it into my hair rather than rubbing it over the length... if you think of how you scrunch your hair when it's wet to enhance your wave pattern, it's kind of like that.

thank you so much caramela I used to do permrod before lhcf and I have some bad memories :nono: so I just wanted to make sure I have covered all the basics before I jump in and do it

No problem. I got a lot of breakage from too stiff setting lotion/mousse in the beginning of my hair journey and had to cut off a lot of my length and start over. I wisened up and was sure not to make that mistake again :) Happy Growing.

Back