How do you seek God?

Innocent_Kiss

Being the ambitious woman I am, I naturally pursue my goals and endeavors expecting that if I preservere, stay focused, etc that I'll accomplish whatever I set out to do. I don't intentionally exclude God from my pursuits, but I do. I might say a prayer, be inspired by a message I hear in church, or read an inspirational bible scripture, but I need more! I want a personal relationship with God. This morning, I felt overwhelmed. I have two businesses, one still in start-up, I'm a pre-law student with over $13,000 in educational debt, and I'm in a primary relationship that's a piece of work! I realized that without God's Holy Spirit guiding me, I'll end up what my dad calls "an educated fool." This morning, this scripture came to me "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." What can I do to seek God? How do you seek Him?

Being the ambitious woman I am, I naturally pursue my goals and endeavors expecting that if I preservere, stay focused, etc that I'll accomplish whatever I set out to do. I don't intentionally exclude God from my pursuits, but I do. I might say a prayer, be inspired by a message I hear in church, or read an inspirational bible scripture, but I need more! I want a personal relationship with God. This morning, I felt overwhelmed. I have two businesses, one still in start-up, I'm a pre-law student with over $13,000 in educational debt, and I'm in a primary relationship that's a piece of work! I realized that without God's Holy Spirit guiding me, I'll end up what my dad calls "an educated fool." This morning, this scripture came to me "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." What can I do to seek God? How do you seek Him?

This is a good question. I would like to know as well. Besides prayer and study what else can one do?

That's a blessing to have the Holy Spirit nudging your spirit and that appears to be what He is doing. :yep:

Praying without ceasing, in the morning, in your car as you drive to work, in the grocery store, washing the dishes, constantly keeping God in your thoughts is a good way to seek him.

Bible study consistantly every day will also help you seek God. "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4).

In other words, if you want to live life to the fullest as God intended, listen and heed God's written word...it is even more important than eating! :yep:

The Bible will equip you for serving God (2 Timothy 3:17; Ephesians 6:17; Hebrews 4:12).

It will help you know how to be saved from your sin and its ultimate consequence (2 Timothy 3:15).

Meditating on it and obeying its teachings will bring success in life (Joshua 1:8; James 1:25).

God’s Word will help you see sin in your life and help you get rid of it (Psalm 119:9,11).

It will give you guidance in life, making you wiser than your teachers (Psalm 32:8; 119:99; Proverbs 1:6).

The Bible will keep you from wasting years of your life on that which will not last and does not matter (Matthew 7:24-27).

So we all get the prayer and bible study part but some folks pray all day long for God to meet their needs but they forget to do one important thing on days other than just Sundays!

Romans 12:1-2 - “I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove that the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable, or well pleasing and perfect."

So get to making a joyful noise! :grin:

Also, People don't talk much about Christian meditation. But I personally think it's important. This isn't the OMMMMMM meditation of the Buddhists. LOL

This is what God told Joshua about it:

“This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.” - Joshua 1:8

That sounds pretty important to me. How about you?

Here’s what that verse speaks to me: If we, as believers, will meditate on God’s Word continuously, if we're willing to squeeze everything from it that God has stuffed into it, and if we will apply that knowledge in our everyday lives, we will become virtually spiritually unstoppable.

This applies to our personal pursuit of God, to our ministry to others, to our relationships with loved ones, and to provision for our families.

Every aspect of our lives. :)

BTW - I'm glad you posted this because I needed that reminder!

Last edited:
That's a blessing to have the Holy Spirit nudging your spirit and that appears to be what He is doing. :yep:

Praying without ceasing, in the morning, in your car as you drive to work, in the grocery store, washing the dishes, constantly keeping God in your thoughts is a good way to seek him.

Bible study consistantly every day will also help you seek God. "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4).

In other words, if you want to live life to the fullest as God intended, listen and heed God's written word...it is even more important than eating! :yep:

The Bible will equip you for serving God (2 Timothy 3:17; Ephesians 6:17; Hebrews 4:12).

It will help you know how to be saved from your sin and its ultimate consequence (2 Timothy 3:15).

Meditating on it and obeying its teachings will bring success in life (Joshua 1:8; James 1:25).

God’s Word will help you see sin in your life and help you get rid of it (Psalm 119:9,11).

It will give you guidance in life, making you wiser than your teachers (Psalm 32:8; 119:99; Proverbs 1:6).

The Bible will keep you from wasting years of your life on that which will not last and does not matter (Matthew 7:24-27).

So we all get the prayer and bible study part but some folks pray all day long for God to meet their needs but they forget to do one important thing on days other than just Sundays!

Romans 12:1-2 - “I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove that the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable, or well pleasing and perfect."

So get to making a joyful noise! :grin:

Also, People don't talk much about Christian meditation. But I personally think it's important. This isn't the OMMMMMM meditation of the Buddhists. LOL

This is what God told Joshua about it:

“This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.” - Joshua 1:8

That sounds pretty important to me. How about you?

Here’s what that verse speaks to me: If we, as believers, will meditate on God’s Word continuously, if we're willing to squeeze everything from it that God has stuffed into it, and if we will apply that knowledge in our everyday lives, we will become virtually spiritually unstoppable.

This applies to our personal pursuit of God, to our ministry to others, to our relationships with loved ones, and to provision for our families.

Every aspect of our lives. :)

BTW - I'm glad you posted this because I needed that reminder!

Thanks adequate. That speaks volumes to me.

That speaks volumes to me too. I'm trying to live Him everyday; to be a living sacrifice everyday. Most times, I don't know if I'm doing it right so this is confirmation for me. Thank you!

It means to ask God what His will is for your life and strive to live a holy life day by day by according to what His Word says but not based solely on what WE believe it means to be holy. If we can give up our personal agendas and focus on His then He'll take care of the rest.

I nabbed this from a Fast From Wrong Thinking http://fromtheinsideout.us/archives.php

I really want to build upon what we dealt with yesterday. Remember, that the serpent was subtle in Genesis 3. Thoughts that can defeat us are often very subtle thoughts.

We have to learn to not only discern between right and wrong; but we must discern between “right” and “almost right.”

It’s “almost right” to ask God to come down and help us. It sounds holy. It sounds humble. But you will truly be free when you discover, HE IS ALREADY HERE. Emanuel means “God with us.” When Jesus came to the earth, He put an end to the separation between God and man.

Let’s fast from the thought that says: “God is far from me.”

Not only is God with us. Not only is God for us. But He is also IN US.

This is an amazing mystery, and we won’t understand it completely until we are in heaven. Colossians 1:27 says “...this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.”

It’s “almost right” to believe that if we become holier, we can get closer to God.
But the separation between us and God is a myth. It’s an illusion. The devil wants us to believe it to keep us powerless and misinformed concerning our connection with God. It’s true that in Isaiah 59:2 it says that “your sins have made a separation between you and your God.” But Jesus TOOK AWAY the sin through His blood. Therefore, THERE IS NO SEPARATION between us and God, if we have been born-again. It’s our failure to recognize this that keeps us in bondage, feeling distant from God. We feel sometimes, He is so far away. But He is not. He is here. He is there.

For us today, let’s replace this “almost right” thinking with “right” thinking.

1. Psalm 46:1 says, “He is an ever-PRESENT help in times of trouble.”

WOW! You have to love this thought. Have you ever had times of trouble? (Ya think!) But notice, He is ever-present. THEN, it says, ‘help’ in times of trouble. It is His “ever-presence” that brings us help in times of trouble.

2. Take Him at His Word.

Jesus said in Matthew 28:20, “Lo, I am with you always; even to the end of the age”. There is no way to misinterpret this verse. “I am with you always.” That has to warm your heart and comfort you.

3. Christianity is not a life of attainment, but a life of recognition.

Philemon verse 6 says, “that your faith might become effective, through the acknowledgement of those things which are already in you, in Christ Jesus.” Many people focus on ‘attaining’ God’s presence and God’s blessing. But the scripture is clear: We must recognize and acknowledge that He is already in us. His gifts are already in us. This produces power that MONEY and RELIGION cannot buy! The first part of the verse says—this is what makes your faith become effective. Acknowledge. Recognize. He is already in you. His gifts are in you.

4. Christianity is not us “finding God.”

It’s that He came and found us; took us into His arms; spilled His blood to cleanse us from all unrighteousness; and breathed His very Spirit into us. Now He lives in every person that has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord. Romans 8:11 says, “and if the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you; then He who raised up Christ Jesus from the dead, will give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit that indwells in you.”

5. Eliminate every thought that says, “God come down and help me” or “Send your Spirit.”

He has already come. He has already sent His Spirit. Our fight, our battle is to believe this whether we feel His presence or not. He is in you!

6. It’s not: us living FOR God. It’s us LIVING FROM GOD.

Galatians 2:20 says, “It is no longer I who lives, but Christ lives in me.”

David said in Psalm 139:7-9, “Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go to heave you are there. If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. If I take the wings of the dawn and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even THERE your hand will lead me, and your right hand will hold me.”

THINK IT & SAY IT:
I decide today to eliminate the thought that I am separated from God in any way.

He is an ever-present help in my time of trouble. His ever-presence brings me help! He is in my boat. And I will rest in knowing I am in His presence.

I recognize that He is already in me. That’s what makes my faith work. He has found me and put His Spirit in me. The very same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead, is living on the inside of me.

God is not far off. He is right here, right now. I am surrounded by His love and enveloped in His presence. Therefore I am not afraid.

He is my shield and refuge. My fortress and my very present help today.

I am not trying to live FOR God; I am living FROM Him. His power is in me. His presence is in me. His love is in me. And nothing can ever separate me from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus my Lord!

Last edited:
I nabbed this from a Fast From Wrong Thinking http://fromtheinsideout.us/archives.php

I really want to build upon what we dealt with yesterday. Remember, that the serpent was subtle in Genesis 3. Thoughts that can defeat us are often very subtle thoughts.

We have to learn to not only discern between right and wrong; but we must discern between “right” and “almost right.”

It’s “almost right” to ask God to come down and help us. It sounds holy. It sounds humble. But you will truly be free when you discover, HE IS ALREADY HERE. Emanuel means “God with us.” When Jesus came to the earth, He put an end to the separation between God and man.

This is an amazing mystery, and we won’t understand it completely until we are in heaven. Colossians 1:27 says “...this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.”

It’s “almost right” to believe that if we become holier, we can get closer to God.
But the separation between us and God is a myth. It’s an illusion. The devil wants us to believe it to keep us powerless and misinformed concerning our connection with God. It’s true that in Isaiah 59:2 it says that “your sins have made a separation between you and your God.” But Jesus TOOK AWAY the sin through His blood. Therefore, THERE IS NO SEPARATION between us and God, if we have been born-again. It’s our failure to recognize this that keeps us in bondage, feeling distant from God. We feel sometimes, He is so far away. But He is not. He is here. He is there.

WOW! You have to love this thought. Have you ever had times of trouble? (Ya think!) But notice, He is ever-present. THEN, it says, ‘help’ in times of trouble. It is His “ever-presence” that brings us help in times of trouble.

2. Take Him at His Word.

Jesus said in Matthew 28:20, “Lo, I am with you always; even to the end of the age”. There is no way to misinterpret this verse. “I am with you always.” That has to warm your heart and comfort you.

Philemon verse 6 says, “that your faith might become effective, through the acknowledgement of those things which are already in you, in Christ Jesus.” Many people focus on ‘attaining’ God’s presence and God’s blessing. But the scripture is clear: We must recognize and acknowledge that He is already in us. His gifts are already in us. This produces power that MONEY and RELIGION cannot buy! The first part of the verse says—this is what makes your faith become effective. Acknowledge. Recognize. He is already in you. His gifts are in you.

It’s that He came and found us; took us into His arms; spilled His blood to cleanse us from all unrighteousness; and breathed His very Spirit into us. Now He lives in every person that has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord. Romans 8:11 says, “and if the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you; then He who raised up Christ Jesus from the dead, will give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit that indwells in you.”

5. Eliminate every thought that says, “God come down and help me” or “Send your Spirit.”

He has already come. He has already sent His Spirit. Our fight, our battle is to believe this whether we feel His presence or not. He is in you!

David said in Psalm 139:7-9, “Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go to heave you are there. If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. If I take the wings of the dawn and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even THERE your hand will lead me, and your right hand will hold me.”

THINK IT & SAY IT:
I decide today to eliminate the thought that I am separated from God in any way.

He is an ever-present help in my time of trouble. His ever-presence brings me help! He is in my boat. And I will rest in knowing I am in His presence.

I recognize that He is already in me. That’s what makes my faith work. He has found me and put His Spirit in me. The very same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead, is living on the inside of me.

God is not far off. He is right here, right now. I am surrounded by His love and enveloped in His presence. Therefore I am not afraid.

I am not trying to live FOR God; I am living FROM Him. His power is in me. His presence is in me. His love is in me. And nothing can ever separate me from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus my Lord!
Amen and Amen!!!
This spoke to me.
Thank you for posting this!

"Call on him" Call out to him and start talking be sure to leave room for him to say something.

when I was very young I would put a chair in my room while I cleaned it and would talk to him as if he was sitting there. He would answer me.

Now I use a mighty arsnel of stuff because distractions come from everywhere. So I use hardcore worship music, which ushers in the "spirit of God" I also have a conversation in my mind with him no loud talk. I turn off everything and lay across my bed and talk to him. I write him a letter on the computer or on paper and He does answer.

Tell him all about it, He is waiting.

"Call on him" Call out to him and start talking be sure to leave room for him to say something.

when I was very young I would put a chair in my room while I cleaned it and would talk to him as if he was sitting there. He would answer me.

Now I use a mighty arsnel of stuff because distractions come from everywhere. So I use hardcore worship music, which ushers in the "spirit of God" I also have a conversation in my mind with him no loud talk. I turn off everything and lay across my bed and talk to him. I write him a letter on the computer or on paper and He does answer.

Tell him all about it, He is waiting.
This is so sweet. I wrote a letter to him last night. I like the idea of putting a chair in the room and talking to him. Although, DH might walk in like :look: and call the mental ward on me.:lachen:

Sometimes you just have to be still.:yep: Get quiet enough that you can hear Him. I think for some of us, our minds are always racing...thinking a mile a minute. I've felt closest to God during my quiet times.

I've also found that God is not elusive. He's always there. It's we who run from Him. I promise you, He's closer to you than you think.

Sometimes you just have to be still.:yep: Get quiet enough that you can hear Him. I think for some of us, our minds are always racing...thinking a mile a minute. I've felt closest to God during my quiet times.

I've also found that God is not elusive. He's always there. It's we who run from Him. I promise you, He's closer to you than you think.
It helps to keep a notepad or your todo list near by when you "plan" to converse with HIM. Just jot down the distracting noise and go back to talking with him

Once I heard him tell me I am closer to you than the next breathe you'll breath.

2. Take Him at His Word.

THINK IT & SAY IT:

thanks for posting this, this definitely spoke to me.

Back