How do you protect your hair at night?

Aireen

I'm trying to find the best way to protect my hair at night to keep it knot free. I like wrapping but I always have kinks in my hair after because I'm not good at it. I also usually put my hair in a twirled bun for waves but I get some unwanted knots after 3 days of doing this. How do you keep your style but still protect your hair at night? If you have a video on Youtube, that would be helpful too. Thank you in advance. :sad:

I do pincurls, large bantu knots (gives me beach waves), and large plaits or twists (2-4 at most) with satin rollers at the ends (gives me a wavy long bob with lots of body). I cover with a satin cap and sleep on satin pillowcase.

I do pincurls, large bantu knots (gives me beach waves), and large plaits or twists (2-4 at most) with satin rollers at the ends (gives me a wavy long bob with lots of body). I cover with a satin cap and sleep on satin pillowcase.

Anything to keep your hair straight? :)

Ms kibibi has a cross wrap tutorial on her you tube.

I use this method with a doo wrag and a silk scarf on top.

Also I always put a pinhead size drop of oil on my ends before wrapping. When i say pinhead i mean it. Just a tiny tiny drop (maybe two tiny drops) so that my hair is lubricated and doesn't tangle. My hair is fine, so it's prone to knots, tangles and dryness.

I also just started using dr bronners organic peppermint hair creme. (a tiny tiny drop as well). It's full of oils, but my hair drinks it. It doesn't weigh my hair down at all.

I would like to know what others do also! When my hair is loose (and straightened) I just sleep with a satin pillowcase and thats all- it stays straight until I wash it.

I would like to know what others do also! When my hair is loose (and straightened) I just sleep with a satin pillowcase and thats all- it stays straight until I wash it.

Hm, I'm starting to think it's because my sheets and pillowcase are cotton and because I wear a net I'm not getting full protection. I'll buy a satin/silk scarf next time I'm in the BSS, thanks ladies! :yep:

I part it down the middle and make two pony's with silky pony holders and plat my hair and pin it into a bun with a bobby pin, silk scarf and I'm good =)

I part it down the middle and make two pony's with silky pony holders and plat my hair and pin it into a bun with a bobby pin, silk scarf and I'm good =)

Silk holders? :love: Alright well it's decided, definitely going to get a silk/satin scarf to cover my head above the net. If it falls off during the night, I'll still have the net.

when i want to keep my hair straight i wear it in a big pincurl at the back of my head if i am wearing a ponytail or 4 -5 large pincurls for when i wear it down. i dont like the way wrapping leaves my hair looking when i comb it out.

when i want to keep my hair straight i wear it in a big pincurl at the back of my head if i am wearing a ponytail or 4 -5 large pincurls for when i wear it down. i dont like the way wrapping leaves my hair looking when i comb it out.

Yeah last night I did a sort of variation of that but with all my hair and a hair clip. My hair came our relatively straight and knot free so I was happy. I don't particularly like wrapping either, I don't know why I said that in my first post. It breaks my hair trying to keep it from falling with the constant combing and my edges always look odd the next day, plus if it's not perfect I get weird kinks. I'm glad people gave their input in this thread, even though I didn't follow the advice exactly, I was able to find my own way of keeping my hair straight and out of the way. :yep:

Yeah last night I did a sort of variation of that but with all my hair and a hair clip. My hair came our relatively straight and knot free so I was happy. I don't particularly like wrapping either, I don't know why I said that in my first post. It breaks my hair trying to keep it from falling with the constant combing and my edges always look odd the next day, plus if it's not perfect I get weird kinks. I'm glad people gave their input in this thread, even though I didn't follow the advice exactly, I was able to find my own way of keeping my hair straight and out of the way. :yep:

i think the key is to keep it in a "flatly" rolled sections rather that making a twisted one(like a bantu knot). does that make sense?

for some reason bantu knots start to lock on me after a few days. thats my i save them for when my press is on its last legs.

i think the key is to keep it in a "flatly" rolled sections rather that making a twisted one(like a bantu knot). does that make sense?

for some reason bantu knots start to lock on me after a few days. thats my i save them for when my press is on its last legs.

Yeah, it makes sense! Don't twist, just have it lay flat.

Yeah I'm always wondering how on earth the knots are created when I kept my hair neat... :rolleyes: I think I'll probably do the twist bun right before I need to wash, it's a good camouflage for dirty hair.

I do about 4 or 5 flexirods in random places, when i wake up it's curly and bouncy and knot-free!

Darn, I used to have those... Thank you for the tip though, I will keep it in mind for the future if I see a big pack of cheap ones.

I use a satin pillowcase, because nothing will stay on my head at night.

Now that I'm passing shoulder length, though, I'm getting tangles. For now, I just do buns/folded over ponytails on each side. Would love to read more techniques!

If I straighten it, I tie it with a silk scarf, plus I sleep on a satin pillowcase even if I don't wrap it, also great for clearer skin as well.

I usually wear my hair either in braidouts or ponytails.

If I'm rocking a braid out the next day I will moisturize and braid 6 braids. Tie a satin scarf on tightly (the stretchy ones stay on all night for me and I'm a wild sleeper).

If I'm planning on wearing a sleek ponytail/bun. Then I will moisturize, make the ponytail and put a roller at the end. Or make a ponytail, bring the length of the ponytail on top of by head forward and secure the ends with a bobby pin. Wrap scarf and call it a night :)

Basically, the stretchy satin scarf is the theme. I also sleep on silk pillowcases just in case.

Last edited:
Edited to add visuals. My sister is a natural with permanent color & has been doing DBO for the last 2 years since cutting out all her relaxed hair.

attachment.php

Hth~!

This is what I've done in the past as well, but I tend to sleep bad & the rest of my linens aren't satin. :C

My sister & I (we both wear our hair straight via DBO) have found success by the way we tie a very large satin scarf around our heads. The twist is that we leave our hair hanging but the scarf is so big it covers & surrounds the length of our hair. Um..we kind of look like we're wearing novice nun habits....something like that.

My sister swears by this especially since she used to bun her hair then wrap the scarf. Her bunning left unwanted dents so this method leaves her hair just as straight throughout as she had it after the blowout. It's pretty good if you feel lazy or frustrated with wrapping. (like me!) And no knots so far since doing this for over a month now.

If you want I can see about snapping a pic tonight for visuals.

Attachments

• hairtie.jpg
    hairtie.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I just bought this satin cap, the first that has ever stayed on my head -- 3 nights in a row, so far. I used to use a cap, secured with a scarf and find them both on my pillow every morning.

Couldn't find the regular size, but the page has links to their pocket bonnet and wrap. Now you know I have a big head.

try cross wrapping. You just split your hair down the middle and pull each section acoss to the other side. Put on a satin or silk bonnet and voila. I did this during the BKT 3 day waiting period with no bumps, kinks or knots. I use the bonnet from prettywrap.com. It does not come off at all

Back