How do you protect previously relaxed ends?

What do you cover your ends with during a touchup?

• Vaseline

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Conditioner

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Oil

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Something that came with your relaxer

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FluffyRed

I have tried coating my ends with Vaseline, which I hated since it does not rinse our readily and a cheapie moisturizing conditioner, which is pretty easy to use and easy to rinse out.

Just wondering what others use. I am currently using a moisture con

How do you use it? I part my hair exactly the way I am going to part it for relaxer application, cover the ends of each little section with conditioner, and allow this to get a little "firm" on the ends before I apply relaxer.

How do you feel about the effectiveness of what you use? I really have no way of gauging the effectiveness of protection with this method. The test will be the long-term health of my hair. That's why I'm trying to find out if there are more effective methods. I don't want to get to BSL and have half of my hair break off.

I use vaseline or hair grease when I texlaxed my hair every six months. I put it on my previously texlaxed hair. Since I wash my hair about 8 times with Neutralizer I have no problem with washing out the vaseline. I never have problems with overlapping or over processing. This is one of the best tips I ever picked up!!!!

Just wondering what others use. I use Summit Sensitive Scalp Cream Base

How do you use it? I part and apply to my scalp throughly and I apply on my hair about 2 inches from the roots to the ends.

How do you feel about the effectiveness of what you use? I feel really good about using it and would rather use it than go without. I've used it during my last two relaxers. The first one I relaxed with Phyto no-lye the second time Silk Elements Lye. It's mainly for protecting the scalp but I put it on my hair also. I didn't have any scalp sores after either relaxer and my ends seem to be protected well enough to combat relaxing previously relaxed hair. It contains petroleum and rinses out easily. During my last relaxer I lost less hair during the process. Not sure if that's because of the Summit or the relaxer switch.

yhst-17606501929367_2040_29113391

The Problem Solver for Sensitive Scalps During Relaxing.

Summit Sensitive Scalp Creme is the ideal base to aid your patrons with sensitive scalps. The soothing ingredients help keep the patron comfortable and thus allows for more even chemical relaxing and straghtening. can be used for all types of relaxers and straighteners; lye-based and no-lye.

Directions: Apply the creme to the scalp, forehead, ears, nape of neck and hairline thoroughly. Let product set for 3 to 4 minutes before applying relaxer or straightener. Caution should be taken to carefully follow relaxer or straightener directions for use.

Last edited:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @ your siggy!

ETA: I'm sorry, that was so OT. But I was looking like. . ."Why does dude have a gremlin on his arm?!?!"

I read that silk amino acids help. So I last put GVP (Chi silk infusion) on my hair. I also use oils as a pre-laxer

I use vaseline/conditoner/grease.

It's funny because they NEVER do this at the salons. The first time I heard of people doing this was on this site. Great tip. I just wonder why they dont do it at the salon at all.

I use SAA and Porosity Control to protect the already relaxed hair. Make sure the hair is dry before relaxing, though.

I use conditioner or amla oil, and honey shield by mizani, but the last time I used conditioner, but I might have to change to a moisturizing conditioner......

Right now I am using the relaxer pre-treatment that comes with my Design Essentials relaxer but I would often use some kind of oil like sweet almond oil or EVOO if I run out of the pre-treatment on my ends.

It's funny because they NEVER do this at the salons. The first time I heard of people doing this was on this site. Great tip. I just wonder why they dont do it at the salon at all.

This is so true....

I used to use Mizani Honey Shield..but for my last touch up, I used CHI CSI...I felt it made a difference. I will use it has my stable for relaxers now..or just buy the GVP brand of it..cause its kind of expensive.

The night before I have my relaxer done, I layer three products on my previously-relaxed hair: First, Neutral Protein Filler; next, coconut oil or Ojon Restorative Treatment; and finally, a silicone-based serum like CSI. I do this in small sections to make sure I don't miss any section of my hair. (I also treat my edges with these products.) It takes forever, but it's made a huge difference in my hair.

I had never heard of protecting previously-relaxed hair either until I joined the forum. Certainly, no stylist has ever mentined doing this, let alone done it. But now, it's an essential part of my relaxer preparation.

FluffyRed, I'm at the library and almost got kicked out for laughing so hard at your siggy!!!!!!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: Please tell me that's not real!!!!

Okay, to answer your question, I coat my ends in conditioner before relaxing

Cuz they don't care about our long term goals. It would take time away from their other clients, and time is money.

I use conditioner or amla oil, and honey shield by mizani, but the last time I used conditioner, but I might have to change to a moisturizing conditioner......
I was thinking I should switch to a protein condish after reading some responses

FluffyRed, I'm at the library and almost got kicked out for laughing so hard at your siggy!!!!!!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: Please tell me that's not real!!!!

Okay, to answer your question, I coat my ends in conditioner before relaxing
Ionno if it's real or not, but that's terrible, ain't it? Do you use protein or moisture condish?

The night before I have my relaxer done, I layer three products on my previously-relaxed hair: First, Neutral Protein Filler; next, coconut oil or Ojon Restorative Treatment; and finally, a silicone-based serum like CSI. I do this in small sections to make sure I don't miss any section of my hair. (I also treat my edges with these products.) It takes forever, but it's made a huge difference in my hair.
What is neutral protein filler? Why three steps? What difference have you noticed?

What is neutral protein filler? Why three steps? What difference have you noticed?

Neutral protein filler is a product I found at Sally's that balances porosity along the hair shaft and protects from chemical damage.

I apply the products in three steps so that each layer gets a chance to adhere and "do its thing." The protein filler is a very runny liquid, so I apply it first and allow it to dry. Next, I apply the coconut oil/Ojon, and I give that a chance to sink in. I apply the serum last to "sit" on top of the first two layers and provide a physical barrier to the hair shaft.

The main difference in my hair since I've been preparing it this way is that I have much thicker, healthier, smoother ends, because they aren't assaulted by overlapped relaxer or runoff. Also, in the past, I would sometimes notice small areas where breakage had occurred after a relaxer, presumably becuase of overlapping. That doesn't happen anymore.

In the past, I've used oil to coat my previously-texlaxed ends, but I don't think I will do that anymore. The oil really clings to the hair and is difficult to rinse off, even after rinsing for 5 minutes with warm water. This is a problem because I do a protein treatment, after rinsing the relaxer but before neutralizing, and the protein just sits on the hair (without absorbing) because there is still some oil residue left behind.

I will be doing a touchup on Friday (after a 14-week stretch-YAYY!!) and I will experiment with applying neutralizer shampoo on my ends, instead.

Last edited:
I apply porosity control conditioner to my previously relaxed hair before I go to the salon to get my touch-up. I mix neutral protein filler and almond oil into the relaxer mix, so I don't put it on my hair. Protecting my previously relaxed hair has been one of the best tips I ever learned from lhcf!

I use a cheapie conditioner and then I put hair grease over that. My last touchup I also added some hair grease to the part of my unprocessed hair that processes faster than the rest.

I also did my first protein conditioner step after rinsing out the relaxer and before neutralizing. My hair felt so great during this step and now I'm wondering what part the hair grease played in that. I am happy with how it went and I am going to do it this way from now on.

My stylist NEVER treated my hair and ends either.

She based my scalp really good but still....all that relaxer run-off on your hair is damaging.

I got so much stuff that I can slather on my hair. I'll probably grease my scalp with Vatika Frosting, put Black castor oil and Chi silk on hair and ends.

She BETTER not complain about my greasy head when i sit in the chair and she BETTER base me AGAIN with her own stuff.

Back