How do you prevent Smokey Smelling Hair after flatironing?

sterry

I flat iron my daughters freshly washed hair and applied a light botanical elixar to aid hair in straightness.
I had the flatiron I must admit turned to the highest notch.
Her hair came out lovely but smelled like smoke afterwards.
How do I prevent this?
And what products should I use with my flatiron?
Oil, grease or serums?
Thank you

When I use a flatiron or straightening iron (the old fashioned kind you heat on the stove), or even a curling iron...I wet a washrag and before I even put the heat on my hair, I cool the iron off with the rag by squeezing it until I hear no more sizzle or see no more steam. Then I know it's safe to put on my hair.

Heat protectants go a long way for cutting down on the smokey smell /images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, I always use serums when I flatten my hair (they keep the press lighter and shinier than oils). I would definitely not use grease with a flat iron.

I don't get a smokey smell from flat ironing my hair. I have the regular ole electric (ceramic) ones. Maybe you had them up too high.

I think you had the temp up too high. Either that or she had too much of the elixer in her hair. Is the flat iron clean too? product buildup on the flat iron also produces that smell. But more than likely it was the temp. I always thought that the highest would get my hair the straightest, but I found that even if I put the setting on 6 or 7 (out of ten), It will do the job too. It would just be a little bit thicker /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I don't get a smokey smell from flat ironing my hair. I have the regular ole electric (ceramic) ones. Maybe you had them up too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. I don't get a smokey smell either. Also, maybe you could use a good smelling heat protectant.

[ QUOTE ]
Ayeshia said:
I think you had the temp up too high. Either that or she had too much of the elixer in her hair. Is the flat iron clean too? product buildup on the flat iron also produces that smell. But more than likely it was the temp. I always thought that the highest would get my hair the straightest, but I found that even if I put the setting on 6 or 7 (out of ten), It will do the job too. It would just be a little bit thicker /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/up.gif

Clean the iron before and after use. Use a heat protectant on the hair and make sure the temp isn't too high.

I would suggest a heat protectant, b/c not only does it protect the hair from heat damage, it allows you to use less heat in the process. Thereby eliminating (hopefully) the burnt hair smell.

Thanks ladies.
Will any heat protectant do and are there any suggestions.
My local Wal mart is as about as good as it gets for hair care products.
My flat iron was cleaned...so as some of you stated I believe the iron was up way high.

I used to have that problem with the gold n hot stuff. Try a good ceramic flat iron I use mine at 450 degrees and have no burnt hair smell at all.

elast qp curl wax is very good

I apply a combo of Elucence silk hydrating elixir and ORS Carrot oil creme on my damp hair, blow dry, then flat iron. No smoky smell.

Back