How do you prepare for a relaxer...

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
...after transitioning for a year? Also, how do you apply the relaxer to virgin hair?

I've already asked Den1 this, but would like a broad range of opinions.

My friend's hair started breaking terribly last year so she decided to just give up the relaxer for a while. She says she's ready to go back and asked me to apply it.

I need the above questions answered as well as some relaxer recommendations.

Thanks ladies!

I would like to know this too onepraying.

When I went back to the relaxer last year, after being natural for 2 years, the stylist just applied the relaxer from root to tip(I had a twa). Once the relaxer was rinsed out my hair was really long(longer than what I thought it was due to shrinkage). Honestly, I didn't do anything to prepare for the relaxer....I wish I would have though.

tishee said:
I would like to know this too onepraying.

When I went back to the relaxer last year, after being natural for 2 years, the stylist just applied the relaxer from root to tip(I had a twa). Once the relaxer was rinsed out my hair was really long(longer than what I thought it was due to shrinkage). Honestly, I didn't do anything to prepare for the relaxer....I wish I would have though.

I add conditioner(keraphix)+oil to my dry hair before I apply the relaxer. This protects it from overlapping. Also, I base my scalp, edges, and ears.

MizaniMami said:
I add conditioner(keraphix)+oil to my dry hair before I apply the relaxer. This protects it from overlapping. Also, I base my scalp, edges, and ears.

thanks MizaniMami!

ETA: u apply it to the length of the hair? tia

tishee said:
thanks MizaniMami!

ETA: u apply it to the length of the hair? tia

Yep, I try to get it as close to the roots as possible all the way down the strands. But if I get it too close to the scalp, it becomes kind of damp, making it hard to part during the process. As you know it is better to have it easy to part to prevent breakage and to get it in there quicker.

MizaniMami said:
Yep, I try to get it as close to the roots as possible all the way down the strands. But if I get it too close to the scalp, it becomes kind of damp, making it hard to part during the process. As you know it is better to have it easy to part to prevent breakage and to get it in there quicker.

So you are just applying this protection to the relaxed ends right? Not the newgrowth? My friend still has old relaxed ends at the very top of her head. I was going to cover those with conditioner and/or evoo. Then relax all the newgrowth.

I had in mind to deep conditioner her or even use a 'natural' protein treat like egg, evoo, mayo, honey and conditioner to strengthen her hair a few days before applying the relaxer.

I try to avoid getting it on the newgrowth because like I said it is hard to part once it gets on the newgrowth because it gets kinda damp. But I don't mind it getting on my newgrowth.

MizaniMami said:

MizaniMami thanks so much! I am going to pass this along to my sis. thanks again

Back