How do you moisturize hair?

vickyd

I have been reading lately that many ladies are "moisturizing" their hair daily or twice daily. What does this mean? I don't think I do this. I have used Amla Lite hair oil on the length of my hair and have started to do daily scalp massages. The reason for the confusion is that some have said that using oil is not the equivalent of moisturizing. Just a question for the pros before I start the 2007 Bootcamp challenge. TIA

vickyd

I'm not a pro, but I do moisturize. :)

If I'm wearing my hair down I light spray my hair all over with my concoction that is mainly water but also has a few oils and a little conditioner mixed in.

I've always used the Dove Daily Moisturizing spray that Locksofluv raved about and it works great.

If I'm wearing my hair up I tend to use one of my creamy leave-ins because I'm heavy-handed.

HTH

vickyd said:
I have been reading lately that many ladies are "moisturizing" their hair daily or twice daily. What does this mean?

It is literally adding a product high in water content to your hair. Look for a conditioning leave-in with water as the first ingredient. If you use something that is light, like a mist, it won't cause your straight styles to revert either. Simply spray lightly, four to six times, then run your fingers through your hair until it is dry. You can then apply a light oil to seal the water in.

Hope that helps, Vickyd.

Royal Glory said:
It is literally adding a product high in water content to your hair. Look for a conditioning leave-in with water as the first ingredient. If you use something that is light, like a mist, it won't cause your straight styles to revert either. Simply spray lightly, four to six times, then run your fingers through your hair until it is dry. You can then apply a light oil to seal the water in.

Hope that helps, Vickyd.

THANKS....i was wondering about that, spraying water in my hair. i dont have a relaxer but do wear my hair straight or a body of curls and was wondering if spraying water on it would make my hair revert. i'll try that after i'm done with the "hide your hair challenge":p

I seal my ends everyday with Profectiv Anti-Breakage. Then I wrap my hair. The oils from frofectiv are so heavy that once I wrap my hair it gets evenly distributed and moistured.
For the days when that isn't enough, I use some leave-in. (NTM)

Well, I'm doing Babygurls regimen (wash every 2-4 days, DC with heat, & baggie-bun to airdry). So I leave my baggie-bun in till the next wash. I just saturate my hair while its still in the bun am & pm and let it "soak" in. I don't manipulate the hair in any way. Sometimes after I spray, I'll add EQP Glaze to smooth back my edges and tie my satin scarf around them for a while.

Thank you all for the info. I have never done this, at least not purposefully or knowingly. But I may give it a try. I really appreciate the quick responses.

I am in the process of trying to get in my mind a specific sort of routine for the coming year. One other question, I have some leave-ins -- like Infusium 23, IC (in the brown bottle), lacio lacio and Silicon Mix. Do you think that I can put a bit of these on my hair each night before I wrap and then consider that moisturizing?

You guys are the best. Yay LHCF!!!!!

Thanks again

vickyd

vickyd said:
I am in the process of trying to get in my mind a specific sort of routine for the coming year. One other question, I have some leave-ins -- like Infusium 23, IC (in the brown bottle), lacio lacio and Silicon Mix. Do you think that I can put a bit of these on my hair each night before I wrap and then consider that moisturizing?

I'm only familiar with the Infusion. That should work well. If the others are moisturizing leave-ins, they should be fine too. Maybe put one or all in a spray bottle and mist your hair lightly before oiling and wrapping.

I moisturize daily with a creme hair dressing like Mizani Rose H2O. I usually only apply oil to my hair once a week.

Chayil

vickyd said:
T One other question, I have some leave-ins -- like Infusium 23, IC (in the brown bottle), lacio lacio and Silicon Mix. Do you think that I can put a bit of these on my hair each night before I wrap and then consider that moisturizing?vickyd

I think that would be fine. I've only personally used the IC Fantasia & Infusium. But I would imagine all of them have some type of protein, so as long as you seal in the moisture provided by the the leave-in with a nice oil..like EVOO, castor, or coconut. You should be just fine. I'm going to search for this thread that I think Supergirl posted back in the day about the different types of proteins and what they do to the hair. It may help you. Also. you might consider mixing your leave-in in a spray bottle with a cheapie moisturizing conditioner like Suave milk& honey or citrus smoothie or even Flexx, may lessen any hardening effects from the protein in your leave-ins.
The exact post I was looking for is no longer available. But I thought this might be helpful as well. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=20494

Last edited:
when my hair is flat ironed and I am wearing it up, I use a little shea butter or jane carter nourish and shine. No water based product. When I wash and air dry my hair in a braid, I moisturize about 3x a day with rosewater with a bit of oil added.

Back